BA sale

Exceptional World of Hyatt redemption in Budapest – but ending soon

One of Hyatt’s best redemptions is increasing in price.

The Párisi Udvar Hotel in Budapest is a member of Hyatt’s Unbound Collection.

The Unbound Collection is a group of independent hotels which use Hyatt’s ‘system’ for marketing purposes, in return for letting World of Hyatt members earn and burn points.  You can see the full portfolio here.

At present, the Párisi Udvar Hotel is just 8,000 World of Hyatt points per night.   This is exceptionally good value.

The Párisi Udvar Hotel in Budapest World of Hyatt points

I tend to value a World of Hyatt point at 1p.  However, picking a few dates in August and September shows rates of €230 to €350+ per night.  This means that you’re getting excellent value for your points.

Such good value, in fact, that it actually makes sense to BUY Hyatt points – even without a bonus offer – rather than book for cash!  As you can see here, buying 8,000 points costs just $192 ($171).

However, move quickly.  The hotel is going up to Category 5 on 30th July, which means it will be 20,000 points per night.  You can lock in bookings before 30th July for stays at any point in the next year.

The hotel website is here if you want to find out more.

New American Express 'Shop Small' cashback offer
Avios has fixed the error with regional redemption pricing

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Tom Cook says:

OT – do we know how long the strike will go on for if it happens? We’re flying to Palma on the 4th August so ok getting out, but returning on the 11th which could be 4/5 days into the strike.

• Lady London says:

We wont know till they annonce.

If they’re really clever they’ll announce a rolling programme of, say, 2 days per week strike (the days of strike being different each week).

This model was operated most successfully recently by the French train drivers unions and has been copied elsewhere. (The French seem to have world class expertise in organising strikes.) This will cause the maximum disruption, with the minimum number of days on (low)strike pay for members.

• I’m surprised anything gets done in France these days 😂 Lovely bread though.

• My friend drives to France 2 or 3 times a year and tells me that she sometimes benefits from any civil unrest going on as apparently a disruptive technique of one anarchic group is to disable the motorway toll machines, so tourists as well as French people can save a small fortune!

2. Richard says:

Sorry – completely OT – anyone got experience of Pine Cliffs recommend any of the hotels over the others? We’re thinking of going next July and have a 3 year old baby

• SimonW says:

We stayed in the Residences a few years ago with 2 kids under 2, in a 2 bedroom flat. It was great to have the extra space, and we even shipped in a mother in law for a few days to stay. The pools were just outside the flat, and we were on the ground floor so plenty of space to sit outside while kids slept in the apartment in the day. Food offerings were OK. My advice would be go to the Conrad, or Anantara instead. And until you absolutely have to travel in school holidays, make the most of late June/ early September for summer holidays, and get quieter resorts at half the price….

• Richard says:

Thanks Simon, will look into the conrad, though not many Hilton points vs more Marriott. Trying to keep out of school hols but work and spreading our holidays through the year make it tricky!

3. OT: does anyone know who to ask for copy of correspondence sent by BA and Amex following 2018 data breach? I got the letters but now cant find them

4. soloflyer1977 says:

O/T My brother and soon to be wife are getting married in New York in September. They are flying with Aer Lingus from Dublin in economy. She is taking her wedding dress onboard,. Unfortunately, the EI reservations team haven’t been helpful in terms of making sure that the dress does’t get crinkled on the fight over. They have recommended either checking the dress in as luggage, buying another seat or taking on a hand baggage. My sister in law understandably doesn’t want to fold her dress. Does anyone have recommendations on what to do? My guess is that if they finding an understand cabin crew, they can put in the wardrobe…

• Buy the dress in NYC?

• Has she thought of wearing the dress to travel?

• soloflyer1977 says:

She has already bought the dress and I would imagine wearing the dress for 7h+ in ecomomy would do more harm than crinkles!

• Lady London says:

Plus it’s bad luck for the groom to see the dress ahead of the actual wedding. Apparentlhy.

• Michael says:

Can it be shipped separately?

• soloflyer1977 says:

I guess it could be but I think for my future sister in law’s sanity, she would want to have it on the flight with her

• TGLoyalty says:

Unless it’s a light load flight I can’t see how it won’t be folded etc. The wardrobes are never that big in a plane

Extra large suitcase just for the dress?

• The Savage Squirrel says:

At some point she’s just going to have to be realistic.

Either she can ship it unfolded but it won’t travel with her – eminently doable.

Or she can take it with her on the cabin unfolded. It will take up as much space as a person so eminently reasonable to expect to have to pre-arrange AND to buy an extra seat for this; Staff are not being unhelpful in refusing to magic up a free solution here; the expectation is unreasonable. Even with the world’s best cabin crewIt woulld take up an entire wardrobe with everything else removed and still have to be crushed and crumpled to be forced in. Not going to work.

Or she can come to her senses and realise that wedding days are not about micro-crinckles on dresses and that plenty more won’t go to plan besides this – and as long as both partners turn up and everyone has a good time, none of this silly perfectionism matters! Just fold it carefully and all will be well.

• Richard says:

Treat it as well as possible on the flight and line up someone in NYC to remove any creases?

• Ignore all this nonsense advice. All she has to do is buy a breathable wedding dress cover, cover the dress and then roll (not fold) the dress up into a tube shape and there will be no creases.

• EwanG says:

I’m impressed by the knowledge on here. How *does* everyone know this stuff? Secret ‘Say Yes to The Dress’ watchers???

• Friend that worked in fashion industry told me that’s how they do it. I’ve been rolling my clothes when packing my cabin bag for years already and it definitely seems to work better lol.

• Lady London says:

That’s how Strictly -type ballroom dresses are carried and shipped, if necesary. The issue with those is the trimmings which are typically more fragile than a wedding dress, but it can be done.

The upend the dress, depending on the material, somewhere warm on arrival and let it “relax”.

sounds like an ideal case for bridal nerves though.. I could imagine a bride-to-be getting disproportionately upset about anything to do with the dress.

• “On the fight over” – crinkles might be the least of their worries 🤣

• Spurs Debs says:

Ask the shop where she got wedding dress from to pack it up for travelling. Then she can either all depending how big box is pack it in suitcase and check it in or get it wrapped in that wrapping stuff you see at airports and check it in. They are not going to go out their way for someone in economy and find space in cabin if there is any to start with.
      If any crinkles ask hotel for a dry cleaners or local wedding shop and they should have one of those steam irons or just hang it up in bathroom and crinkles should fall out.

• Soloflyer1977 says:

Thank you everyone. Some great advice

• I rolled my dress nicely and carried as hand luggage-no creases whatsoever and it did a tour before I wore it. bought in new york, travelled with it to Dublin (i lived there at the time) then flight to naples and wedding in Sorrento. I used a hard shell carry on. There was no way I was checking in my wedding dress! my maid of honor lost her dress checked in on flight from dublin. Our wedding was during volcanic ash….to say travelling to Italy was stressful is an understatement. lol
          As a matter of fact I roll all clothes when packing

5. With amex upcoming plat priority pass nerf, would using the 2 free passes that come with a gold card still be usable in the restaurants or would they not be usable there if the unlimited card will no longer be?

• The gold card comes with Lounge Club passes, which is a different organisation.

• Same organisation, different product.

• Sandgrounder says:

Same organisation, different brand. Good question, if you find out do let us know, I notice the PP non-lounge options in PDX are available through LC, for example.

6. Michael says:

Might be answering my own question – with the Virgin Card Economy > Premium upgrade voucher, will I pay the taxes for Premium or Economy? I’m 99% sure it’s Premium but just checking.

• Lev441 says:

Yep – premium taxes and surcharges unfortunately.

• Same with BA. Today booked a flight with my Lloyd’s upgrade voucher and paid Economy avios but Business (£50) taxes.

Checked the normal BA site first to check availability and it gave me a range of “taxes” starting at £1 but using upgrade voucher £50 was the only option.

7. Gavin says:

“Hyatt also guarantees that rooms will be available for points as long as standard rooms are available for cash.”

Not sure if this is correct because when I search for any date in September (and try to click through), I get the message “Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search.”

I’m able to find availability later in the year, e.g. December.

• Yes. Some hotels do play with availability. So for example if you search for 2 nights it won’t show anything, but if you search for 3 nights it will. In that case, your only option is to book more nights and then call to modify to 2 nights. Usually no problem, just don’t mention your game plan to the agent. Of course, this world only if you have enough points.

• Hmmmm ….. is it different for Unbound Collection? Will check.

• TGLoyalty says:

Minimum stay requirements etc still have to be abided by?

• I would think so. I am seeing very scarce availability in September/October. First few days of September, then some in second half of October. It’s better in November & December.

8. Iain Miller says:

Really tempted by the parisi udvar deal. Going to Bucharest with my wife next march.
    Can anyone tell me how f they would add any taxes or charges on top of the points to book?

Just did a test cash booking and there were several add-ons to the original price.

• Shoestring says:

If you’re going to Bucharest, you’re in the wrong country

• Any % based extra (10% VAT, 10% service etc) won’t be paid on a redemption. Any flat charge, eg €5 tourist tax, would be payable.

40% bonus buying Hyatt points now too.

9. Possibly a slightly odd question, but:

For Shop Small, do I need to spend the £10 in a single transaction, or can it be more than one transaction, as long as it’s the same shop? I don’t see anything in the wording of the offer to say it has to be in one transaction….

10. OT – has anyone used Amex Platinum Priority Pass is any of the restaurants other that Gatwick since the announcement of the removal? Opened the Amex app in Sydney Airport and it didn’t state that the restaurants there were available to us earlier this week.

11. Peter Taysum says:

Delayed question.

Can I use a 2 4 1 if I’m flying from NCL when my travelling companion is going to join me at LGW to fly to Male (can’t remember code). We’re doing the Rangali FINALLY! But I’d like free CE flights NCK to LHR for me… obviously…

Any ideas?