Virgin Atlantic Sale

Virgin’s first A350 arrives – and the 3rd and 4th aircraft now showing in the JFK timetable

Virgin Atlantic accepted delivery of its first A350 at the Airbus factory in Toulouse over the weekend.  The aircraft has been called ‘Red Velvet’.

There was no public arrival event, with the aircraft quietly flown into Gatwick on Saturday.  I’m not sure why Virgin Atlantic has let British Airways make the running in the PR stakes over A350 arrival events, especially as – if we’re frank – the A350 is a substantially bigger deal for Virgin Atlantic than it is for British Airways, as a % of the fleet.

Here are a few pictures (click to enlarge):

Virgin's first A350 arrives

and

Virgin's first A350 arrives

and

Virgin's first A350 arrives

The aircraft will enter service on the New York JFK route on 10th September.  The 2nd aircraft will begin service on 24th September.

Unlike the British Airways A350, there will be no ‘public’ test flights because Virgin Atlantic has no short haul routes.  Crew have been trained on a mock-up installed at the Virgin Atlantic crew centre in Crawley.

If you are keen to find out how the new Upper Class Suite looks, we have been invited to take a look in mid September on a trip to New York.  This may well be on the 2nd aircraft to be delivered, in the gap between delivery and entry into daily service.  Yet again I have managed to double-book myself so it looks like another task for Rhys ….

Virgin A350 arrival

Aircraft No 3 and Aircraft No 4 are heading to New York JFK too

The 3rd and 4th A350 aircraft have now been slotted into the timetable.

From 5th November VS3/VS4 will switch to an A350 from a Boeing 787, at which point there will be three daily A350 services (two on Tuesdays).

VS3 is the early 08.50 departure from Heathrow, which returns at 18.30 from JFK.

From 9th December, VS45/VS46 will also switch to an A350.

VS45 is the 14.35 from Heathrow which returns as the 20.00 from JFK.

If I understand the delivery schedule correctly, there is then a gap before another four aircraft arrive in 2020.  Virgin Atlantic will receive 12 A350’s in total.

100 prizes to be won by British Airways American Express cardholders for #BA100
What can your business do with Amex Membership Rewards points?

IHG Sale

Comments

1. Apart from going to scrap heap, what are they doing with their 787s?

• The 787s are no more than 4 years old. As -9’s, they have substantially less capacity than the Airbus, which is a -1000.
      The 787s are going nowhere any time soon.

2. Oh! Matron! says:

” I’m not sure why Virgin Atlantic has let British Airways make the running in the PR stakes over A350 arrival events”

Because BA need all the help they can get, PR wise. It’s been a annus horribilis for them.

• Yorkieflyer says:

BA certainly have been making a arse of it recently

• Also because people that fly Virgin are like disciples of the brand, so VS don’t need much in the way of publicity, it’s customer generated. Look at V-Flyer for example and it’s like a huge love-in for Virgin, little in the way of criticism. When I flew UC I was quite surprised at how poor the seat was after all I’d read about Virgin’s wonderfulness. The lounge at LHR was fabulous, no doubt, but the Delta one in Miami was rubbish. Onboard service was fine, but overall the stupid seat meant I just couldn’t see the additional cost over BA as being worthwhile, especially as the FC miles are much less use to me than Avios.

• How can you say the Virgin UC seat is worse than the current BA Club Seat? Climbing over a total stranger to go to the toilet, facing a total stranger… both of which don’t happen on VAA. Surely that’s in the same vein as the Virgin fans at V-Flyer thinking Virgin can do no wrong?

• With the BA seat you don’t have to climb over anyone if you’re in an aisle seat. With the hiring configuration, every seat is an aisle seat with pretty much no view of the window, and direct looks at every other passengers. Both are substandard for 2019, but herringbone is just a worst version of another type of seat.

• Except I didn’t say it was worse than the BA CW seat, perhaps you imagined that in your desire to say nice things about Virgin 🙂

• As it happens I do prefer the BA seat. It reclines to a bed without having to get out of it. People don’t walk into my feet as they go by, I can see out of the window without needing the neck of an owl, and as BAEC Gold I get upper deck 747 seats that have a window and direct aisle access, these seats also have decent storage too. Not all CW seats are equal, and it doesn’t suit everyone, but I find in general the CW seat is good for sleep, and comfortable for me. I’m not entirely thrilled at the new CW seat as based on the very similar AA seat the foot box is somewhat restrictive when getting a decent sleep position.
          The whole thing with a seat is entirely a personal and subjective thing.

• Rob reported that the new BA seat is 6ft 6 long excluding the foot box so for the majority of people the box won’t be an issue

And there are very few window CW seats on BA which have direct aisle access without stepping over anyone. Great for those that can get one (and I did get 64K once) But the biggest issue with current CW (which will be current for a good few years) is either you having to step over someone or someone steps over you and I’m not a fan of either of those.

• Rob has also previously reported that he uses dimensions as stated by the airline. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve tried it. Personally I find it hard to believe you’ll have 6′ 6″ before your feet are in the box.

• Lady London says:

Plus it’s just possible there is a smart person in British Airways who did an elaborate launch of their single currently operation-ready A350 as a ‘spoiler’ especially if they had info that Virgin are going to saturate their New York route with A350’s a lot sooner.

• Biggest laugh of the day!

a smart person working in the BA PR department – priceless

• ankomonkey says:

BA send all the smart people to their IT department 😉

• Lady London says:

I would *love* to be a fly on the wall in the conversations British Airways has been having this year with their, presumably now outsourced, IT service provider(s).

• I think the more obvious answer is more along the lines of people simply don’t care.

No one I know has ever expressed the slightest level of interest about an airline receiving a new plane variation. Even major steps like the introduction of the first 787 and A380s barely got a mention – and that was just because of the huge design changes, not because they cared about the seat being marginally better etc!

• That is true and I am fully aware that HFP readers are not aviation ‘enthusiasts’ unless there is a new seat involved.

3. Never flown Virgin UC. Don’t like the design of the old cabins. But the improved cabins on the A350 and the availability on the JFK route makes me want to try them instead of BA next time I go to NYC.

• Me too, it’ll be interesting to see how (hopefully) improved it is over the current seat layout. Definitely enjoy the LHR lounge too, although wouldn’t choose an airline just for the lounge. The stumbling block for me usually with VS is the additional cost over BA, and the loss of the valuable to me TP as I barely hit the 1500 required for gold. Losing the 360 to 500ish I’d get out of NYC flight with the ex-EU start could easily make the difference to me sticking with BA. But do want to try the new VS seat on the A350, which is also a great aircraft for noise and the higher cabin pressure. I think the A350 is ahead of the B787, although both are streets ahead of the older models in how you feel. Despite this I’ll really miss the 747 when it’s gone.

• Spaghetti Town says:

Probably why they’re doing it. BA will have it’s older product on JFK for a while.

• Lady London says:

I need to see Shoestring’s comment on this. After he’s reviewed it extensively, of course 🙂

• Shoestring says:

No problem with Amy Hart finding more money doing other things, good luck to her.

I *do* have a problem with Love Island, it messed up my evenings for about 30 consecutive days (or that’s what it felt like) until i managed to get away on my hols.

My wife is a furriner and like all good furriners, she likes to listen to the TV in English at about 100 decibels, ie the same as a 747 taking off.

I’d have no particular problem with her watching Have I got News For You at 100 decibels, but that Love Island sh$t really is unbearable to hear in the background. Moronic stuff, followed by more moronic stuff.

• Shoestring says:

though she was a lot more attractive in younger days when she didn’t mess up her face with all that make up

• good grief.

She had to resign from BA to do the series so anything she says like ‘I can’t go back because I’m in charge of safety’ is just nonsense.

Here is ansrticle from the Brighton Argus from 1st August (enjoy the word salad)

“So I was like brilliant, I’ll just get a few hundred thousand Instagram followers then I can go back to my job and just get really good Instagram content around the world and then obviously, I can’t go back to my job.”

“No I can’t go back.. I had to leave before I went in.”