BA Sale

Virgin Atlantic is launching new sustainable amenity kits – but have they got it right?

Virgin Atlantic is re-launching its amenity kits to coincide with the launch of its new Upper Class Suite on the A350-1000 starting on 10th September. These are replacing the existing Herschel kits.

The new kits are called ‘Goodie Bags’ and are made from recyclable kraft paper. There are two versions, a black one for passengers in Upper Class and a smaller paper-bag brown one for those in Premium.

Virgin Atlantic sustainable amenity kit goodie bag

If paper amenity kits sound naff, they do look – and feel – better in real life.  Virgin sent us samples of both kits and the paper feels oddly like leather, although the design itself is fairly plain.  I preferred the Premium one myself, with the red zip adding a touch of zing to the design.

Both kits contain a bamboo toothbrush with toothpaste from White Glo, a silk sleep mask (Upper Class gets it in black, Premium in red), a paper pen and ear plugs in paper packaging.

The Upper Class kit also includes Ren toiletries and some very funky looking socks which will supposedly vary depending on where you are flying.

The socks look really fun and are something I would keep – they are not your typical low-quality amenity-kit socks but actual day-to-day ones.  These are not the branded ‘Happy Socks’ that were being given out on the A330-200 routes – I am guessing that, in deciding to roll out ‘designer’ socks to all Upper Class services, it made more sense to commission their own.

Virgin Atlantic sustainable Upper Class goodie bag amenity kit

Upper Class travellers also get new pyjamas.  These come in a neutral grey/plum combination and look quite comfortable.

If you are flying in Economy some items are available on request, including dental kits, sleep masks, socks and pens.

Are these really ‘sustainable’ amenity kits?

This is not the first time Virgin has had sustainable amenity kits. In 2012 (pre-Herschel) they had kits made from recycled plastic bottles.

Whilst the bag itself does not look as stylish as the existing Herschel amenity kit – it is a fairly bland black or brown – it is clear that Virgin Atlantic is taking calls for responsible aviation seriously, although the toiletries still come in (recycled) plastic containers. Virgin estimates it will save 945 tonnes of plastic every year.

I’m sold on the contents of the kit – Ren toiletries, a bamboo toothbrush and paper-wrapping where possible is great.  The feel of the paper bags is good too – they have a tough, leathery quality about them.

What I’m confused by is both the colour scheme, which does not feel particularly ‘Virgin,’ and the lack of any interesting printing on them. It’s a missed opportunity not to commission some artists to create designs for the front of the bag. That would have turned it from something very boring to something interesting, premium-looking and collectible.

And – let’s be honest – if they really take the sustainable angle seriously, they should get rid of amenity kits entirely and offer self-service toiletries.  Give people an empty bag and run a trolley down the aisle – or set up a display in the bar or bathroom – to allow people to take only what they want or need.

P.S. Virgin’s collectible Wilbur and Orville salt and pepper shakers are also getting a makeover in almond gold, although I’m not sure what colour that is!  Rob claims to still have a pair at home he got in 1997 ….

Review: Flying SWISS Business Class from Zurich to Chicago (Part 2)
How to use Avios for domestic Japanese flights - with no tax!

BA Sale

Comments

1. A environmentally friendly amenity kit for people flying thousands of miles in low density seating. The irony.

I always find uses for the pouches and bags but the only thing I very occasionally need is a pen. Make the amenities available on demand.

2. Flyingbee says:

Personally I think individual items should be on demand. I always carry my own kit with slippers, nice mask and my preferred brand of ear plug. Occasionally if I’ve checked my case in I’ll use the dental kit. That’s it. When you are doing 20 long haul flights a year, there’s only so many little pouches you, your friends and family need for cables…

My cables pouch is a Cathay Pacific one from around 10 years ago and it’s still going strong.

• I am still using an ANZ draw string amenity kit bag from 2009 for suntan creams.

• ankomonkey says:

We use the Herschel bags to take toiletries when the kids go swimming to use when they shower afterwards. We have a Wilbur & Orville set permanently on display as my wife thinks they’re ‘kawaii’.

• Am I the only one who has less than zero interest in receiving this pointless tat? I just want a safe, reliable, comfortable flight.

3. The Onesie was a one-off promotion a couple of years ago. The current sleep suit is a similar top and bottoms design – they are just redesigning them for this relaunch so they are more like something you would take and wear at home.

4. Mr(s) Entitled says:

Sadly you also can’t allow people to take what they WANT or need. In the very next paragraph you then make reference to reusable salt and pepper shakers taken out of circulation due to want, not need. Items should be on request only.

5. Shoestring says:

An Extinction Rebellion splinter group, Heathrow Pause, has revealed plans to ground flights from Heathrow from Sept 13 using drones.

6. I thought everyone had a set of VA salt and pepper shakers at home:)

7. I wish the would bring back the Upper Class luggage label that was in the amenity kit many years ago. I still have mine so I can pretend to be flying up the front!

8. ThinkSquare says:

They have onesies now? I got pyjamas on an IAD flight in February (and very good they are too)

9. I have a feeling that if you set them up in the galley for people to “help themselves”, they’d get through more items than giving everyone one of everything….. I can imagine people filling up bags with miniature toothpastes!

10. The realities of recycling and environmental friendly practices are much more complex than they seem yet most people, big business and legislative authorities are easily drawn in. That is not to say it is not a good thing to be thinking about and taking action on but dont be fooled into thinking everything you do or hear is the best way forward. For example, recycling paper generally has a higher environmental impact than producing new paper, compost production massively outstrips the market for compost, and regulations on recycling waste actually relate to collection of separated waste, much of which inevitably ends up in landfill sites anyway.

• Yes, I know all my recycling ends up in landfill because the idiot council made the recycling bins black and the general waste bins green, and some other idiots can’t read. They religiously wash out all their bottles and cans then put them straight into the landfill bin, and at the same time contaminate everyone’s recycling with their food waste (as the council hasn’t worked out how to collect food waste from 500 households together yet).

• Spurs Debs says:

I knew it was all a con when we had bad snow few years back and I watched the dustmen pick up both recycling and household and dump it all in same truck.

• Shoestring says:

Surely that’s just proof of pragmatism & keeping getting the bins emptied under adverse conditions?

• “It’s all a con”

The eternal claim of the climate change denier.

What recycling best needs is clean, well separated waste. So clean cardboard good, pizza boxes with a left over slice and pot of garlic dip bad.

Most reduce, re-use,, recycle isn’t that complicated unless you are terminally cynical

• Global warming, and by extension climate change, cannot be denied. That the vast majority of gasses produced as a result of human activities have higher global warming potential than most naturally occurring gases has been proven by measurement. This renders it a fact that human activity is increasing temperatures over and above what natural processes alone would produce. You can laugh in the face of anybody who denies global warming and climate change.

Recycling is general good but waste reduction is much better. It is about personal choices and behaviour. People in developing countries produce less waste than those in developed countries, and in both of those people living in rural environments produce less waste than those in urban environments. There are importantant lessons to be learned in there somewhere!

• I’m sorry but you’re making me laugh. What human-produced gases have higher global warming potential than naturally occurring gases?

• @Pauldb, me too when I wrote it but left it that way just for your entertainment 🙂

• RussellH says:

Our recycling all goes into the same wagon, but the wagon body is equipped with four separate sections paper, glass, plastics and metals, cardboard.
          Simples.

• That’s because the targets your LA is trying to meet is for the collection of separated waste, not actually recycling. Once separated and collected it might be recycled combustedd, stockpiled, sold or even dumped in a landfill site.

• Not all councils are that bad. I won £250 in a Golden Ticket lottery from Wandsworth a couple of years ago for correct recycling

• Recycling paper only has a higher environmental impact if we assume that it reduces demand for fresh wood, which in turn reduces the number of trees to be planted. This is a pretty spurious argument, and relies on the assumption we cut trees down for fun and replace them with nothing (or sheep).

“Compost production massively outstrips the market for compost ‘

Because they are not equivalents.

The first priority with compost is to stop it decomposing in landfill to produce vented methane.

• Shoestring says:

yep there’s not that much point in recycling paper & cardboard – you might as well burn it for energy. It can’t release more carbon than it sequestered in the first place. And as you say, wood that ends up as paper comes from sustainable plantations & is replanted, so is just a carbon-neutral (mostly) industry in Europe.

Small argument contra that it takes less energy to produce new paper from recycled paper than from virgin wood – but given the costs of getting it all to the recycling plant etc, a pretty small point. That argument is about a million times stronger for glass and metals.

• Much more complex than this I’m afraid.

• Lady London says:

+1 for the dose of realism BJ

11. Mad Mandy says:

I wish companies would stop going on about sustainability, its annoying and just seems to end up inconveniencing the consumer at their own cost.

I don’t want this sustainable bag, I want the luxury leather bag, use sustainability for your free give aways in economy not premium passengers!

• RussellH says:

Perhaps one answer is to offer a choice when booking of a ‘luxury’ bag’, or the same contents provided in a plain paper bag. You get a discount of £25 if you do not take a new ‘luxury’ bag’. You can always take your ‘luxury’ bag’ and pour the contents of the paper bag into it.

• Quite right. The poor should be sustainable while the rich should continue to be able to consume however much they want.