BA Sale

Bits: SWISS, Lufthansa and Etihad launch UK sales, register for new Hyatt promo, 25% off suites at Radisson Hotels

More news in brief, as we do a bit of a catch-up:

SWISS, Lufthansa and Etihad launch UK sales

There is a lot of sale activity going on at the moment.  Qatar Airways has launched a sale with some interesting deals from elsewhere in Europe, which I will look at tomorrow.  The British Airways sale which we covered here is also continuing, as is the Virgin Atlantic one.

If you want to fly direct from the UK, here are a couple of other options.

SWISS:

If you enjoyed Anika’s review of SWISS business class last weekend, you might be interested in their deals, all from the UK via Zurich.  Headline fares in business class include:

• Delhi £1,558
  • Hong Kong £1,919
  • Johannesburg £2,004
  • Mumbai £1,597
  • Sao Paulo £1,771
  • Tel Aviv £758 (check it is a long-haul aircraft!)

You need to book by 22nd September.  You can travel until the end of June 2020, except for Christmas / New Year and between 16th February and 30th April 2020.

SWISS is a member of Star Alliance so any miles you earn will need to go into the Lufthansa / SWISS Miles & More scheme or one of their other partners.

Lufthansa:

As you’d expect, Lufthansa – sister airline to SWISS – is having an identical sale with identical dates.  You can book here.

Headline deals from the UK include:

• Hong Kong £1,919
  • Bangkok £1,725
  • Cairo £1,007
  • Mumbai £1,584
  • Beirut £787
  • Bengaluru £1,619

Etihad:

Meanwhile, over at Etihad, you have the following business class deals.  You need to book by 12th September for travel between 15th September 2019 and 30th June 2020.

Headline deals, which will get you travel in the fanastic Business Studio which we reviewed here, include:

• Abu Dhabi £1,500
  • Bangkok £1,961
  • Singapore £2,254

Tickets include an optional free Abu Dhabi stopover:

“Explore Abu Dhabi with a free two-night stopover. Simply book a multi-city flight via Abu Dhabi. When your flight is booked, tell us which of our premium hotels you’d like to stay at for free and we’ll do the rest for you.”

Prices from Manchester may vary slightly, in a bad way!  You can book on the Etihad site here.  You can learn more about Business Studio on their site here.

New Hyatt autumn promotion

Hyatt launches its Autumn promotion – register now

World of Hyatt has launched its new Autumn promotion.

It is called ‘Bonus Journeys’ and looks simple, although it is easy to come a cropper.  It does unfortunately, come with the increasingly common ‘gotcha’ of only starting to count from your SECOND stay after registration.  One tiny upside is that reward stays would count towards the ‘first stay’ requirement.

Even more annoyingly, registration closes on 31st October even though the offer runs for another seven weeks after that.

‘Bonus Journeys’ runs from 15th September to 15th December.  You will earn:

triple base points at Hyatt Place hotels

double base points at all other Hyatt branded hotels

double base points at all other hotels, eg Small Luxury Hotels of the World, which can be booked via the Hyatt website

I tend to value a World of Hyatt point at 1p.  You earn 5 base points per $1 so, doubling this and adjusting for the exchange rate, you’re getting about 12% of your spending back in points (18% at Hyatt Place).  Status members will do even better due to the extra elite bonus.

Even better, this offer works alongside the current Hyatt promotion of 500 points (worth £5 in my view) for booking a stay – cash or reward – via the Hyatt appWe wrote about that offer here – stays must be booked and completed by the end of September.

You can register for Hyatt’s ‘Bonus Journeys’ promotion here.

Get 25% off suites at Radisson Hotels

Radisson Hotels, owner of the Radisson Blu, Radisson RED, Park Inn and Park Plaza brands, has launched a special promotion on suites.

If you book and stay before 31st October, you can get up to 25% off suites and junior suites.  This covers hotels in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Full details are on this special page of the Radisson Hotels website.

Remember that if you have an American Express Platinum charge card you can have free Gold status in the Radisson Rewards programme.  Radisson Rewards is also one of the most valuable American Express Membership Rewards transfer partners at 1:3, so it would be easy to top-up any points you earn from a stay under this offer.

How to book Avios Reward Flight Saver flights on BA 'Fifth Freedom' routes
Bits: BA pilot strike update, IHG losing its two new Manchester hotels to Hyatt, Reward Flight Finder trouble

BA Sale

Comments

1. OT Strike related:
    about to take off on-time from LCA with BA673. not sure everyone else on BA will be so lucky.
    ground stuff announced that there isn’t a scrap of food on board and handed out food vouchers before the flight.
    feel pretty lucky to be honest, as being in Economy there’s anyhow no free food.
    connecting at Heathrow to Manchester, let’s see if it’s all falling apart at Heathrow.
    really surprising how empty the flight is after 2 days after disruption.
    Also, over the last hour i”ve received a ton of RFF notifications, implying that BA is releasing loads of redemption seats

2. I also have a £15 statement credit on my Gold Amex when spending £100 with Lufthansa or Swiss.

3. With the Etihad free stop over. Do you have to book direct with them to get it or can you book the Etihad flights anywhere?

4. £485 Premium Economy Madrid to New York on Iberia…amazing, and you can route through London.
    Hunt around on the Iberia site..(good luck !)

5. The Qatar ‘sale’ does not seem to have any noticeable decreases in prices for UK departures next summer.

6. Hotel bits. Email in for Membership Rewards Hilton points bonus. 50% extra when you transfer 1000 or more. Until 31st October.

Don’t know if it’s targeted.

• Me too.

• The Urbanite says:

First time I’ve ever had the offer. Plat holder.

• It ran something like just over a year ago I think. I asked Rob about likelihood a week or so ago and he I think said that was the only UK Amex hotel bonus offer. So I’m really please it’s popped up. I generate Avios and FC miles, but hotel points few and far between for me.

7. OT: have to stay at Heathrow, for 1 night, during October half term as BA cancelled a flight to Palma.
    I have 2 rooms booked at both the Hilton T5 and the new Crowne plaza with points.
    Diamond and spire ambassador, obviously lounge and breakfast is a big pull towards the Hilton but I’ve heard good reviews about the Crowne plaza.
    It’s 2 adults, my daughter and her friend who are year 8.
    Any advice? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Shoestring says:

not on the hotels but don’t forget you are entitled to duty of care, ie BA will pay for the hotel & food, provided that your flight got cancelled and they rebooked you on an earlier/ later flight

if they cancelled & refunded you, no duty of care

• They cancelled our flight from Gatwick and re-booked us on the next available flight, which was the following day via Madrid from Heathrow, which is irritating. I had used Avios so not sure if that makes a difference…

• Shoestring says:

then they’ll pay your hotel & food, £200/ person per room, meals about £25 per meal each is your budget (but they prefer 2 to share room where feasible)

• Shoestring says:

& don’t forget all the paperwork for your daughter’s Year 8 friend, her parent has to sign BA consent forms + obvs ask them for her EHIC

• Brexit alert (hopefully factual and not political!). Don’t forget IF there’s no deal then EHIC likely won’t be valid from 01 November (the second Saturday of half term in some parts of the country) – so consider insurance even more carefully.

• Thanks Shoestring,
            Any idea how I claim and also I assume I need to have receipts therefore using points is wasted.
            The Sofitel is the most convenient hotel if I am being compensated.
            Thanks for the reminder about the EHIC 👍🏻😄

• Shoestring says:
          • Thanks shoestring 👍🏻😄
            What a lucky post, I had no idea…..
            I owe you a drink if we both ever make an HFP party, which I do hope to one day 😉

• The form says I can’t claim compensation if they cancelled the flight more than 14 days in advance and offered me a suitable alternative, I assume a flight the following day from a different airport wasn’t suitable in terms of convenience?

• Lady London says:

Forget compo as it was more than 14 days notice plus you accepted the reroute.

But having accepted BA’s offered reroute, as it requires an overnight stay and a delay then regardless of compo situation they owe you duty of care under EU261 which is separate from compo. So hotel costs, transport extra costs to get you to new departure airport, and food and drink (not alcohol) appropriate to timing of your delay.

@shoestring can ba object to this depending on what leg it is?

• Shoestring says:

they can potentially ask why you didn’t stay at home and pay for your own food! but the law is very clear: they owe you duty of care.

just say that you had no option than to travel to London because x, y, z, eg you’d airbnb’d your house/ asked your friends to stay & look after the dog etc

it won’t come to that & they’ll just process the duty of care claim (with receipts) provided you stick within the budget guidelines £200 hotel room/ £25 per meal

• Thanks shoestring & Lady London, I’ll give it a go as it is inconvenient and the Sofitel is way more convenient

• Lady London says:

Isn’t the Hilton T5 actually a long way from T5? And which Crowne Plaza? The new one I hope and nor the one on the way to Stockley Park.

If you want to stay with Hilton why not try the new HGI T2?

BA’s budget might also run to Sofitel T5.

For me if I wanted IHG would be Staybridge even though as Liz found out, apparently no easy road crossing.

• Lady London

Replied to shoestring before I read your post.
        Yes Sofitel would be ideal/
        I have booked the new Crowne plaza, the new t2 Hilton was the most expensive Hilton on the dates I was looking at

8. OT- my hubby has a corporate stay in New York next week but I have the elite statuses for Hilton and ihg. Is there any way he can benefit from my statuses or is that a stupid question? He has to book under his name as it’s under his corporate travel arrangements. TIA

• Not if he needs his name as primary guest. I tried this once booking in my wife’s name with me as named guest & it got spotted & queried by finance. If his firm use a travel agent then he may not get points/perks regardless.

• Thanks for the reply. Won’t risk it in that case

• Also I think they use HRG so can get perks etc just that he won’t get status benefits in the same way and he has some pretty expensive NYC hotels coming up that he could benefit from perks/ I would welcome the points! Ones actually an intercontinental and Sod’s law it’s part of my accelerate targets!

9. OT (But Radisson):
    We have a 3 night booking at the Radisson Dubai Creek in October. We booked a Half Board rate (which at the time was very reasonable). Half board packages now no longer seem to be available. I was just checking the booking correspondence and have realised I have nothing to show the board basis we have booked. Confirmation only shows room type and occupancy.

When I try to click on the ‘Manage Reservation’ button online, or from my confirmation email, it goes nowhere. The app doesn’t even offer that function, only ‘Cancel’.

Should I be concerned? How do I prove the Half Board basis?
    TIA.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

If you want to check it’s gone through correctly and you want it in writing then why not just Email the hotel and get them to confirm it?

• Manage reservation – rate details – cancellation policy. The full details are here.

• Manage Reservation doesn’t work – website just gives me an error, email link gives me a blank screen. Not able to do it in the app (Android) – can only view cancellation policy.

I’ll try contacting the hotel as Squirrel suggested. Had assumed they will only have access to the same data as me.

If anything is awry I’ll report back.
        Thanks.

• fivebobbill says:

Stayed here last November Steve. Did u choose the “Half Board” as a special offer just before you were taken to the final booking page? If so this is common when booking Radisson middle east, that and special “Stand By” offers to be confirmed on check in (like 3 course dinner, suite upgrade etc)
      Regardless, email the hotel to check your booking, but if you have the option to change to a simple Business room instead I’d go for that.
      Breakfast is included with that and excellent in the lounge, eggs to order etc. And as for lunch/dinner, the hotel is part of a larger restaurant complex which is on the ground floor, where there must be at least 10 different dining options. Standard Dinner (your Half Board) will probably be off a fixed menu option in their Steak restaurant, but if you choose to cancel that and do your own thing the food is really cheap and plentiful throughout all the others. The Asian one I can highly recommend, and cheap as chips!
      I actually stayed in the Hilton up the road earlier this year, but went back down to the Asian at Radisson to eat!

• fivebobbill says:

By the way, if you’re logged into the App or Website and it’s only showing a “Cancel” option as opposed to “Modify” beside your booking, that usually means you have booked a non-refundable rate.

• fivebobbill says:

Forgot to mention, the email link is frequently dead, happened to me as well last time I booked there.

• Thanks for the advice and recommendations, I think the HB package was offered as a normal room rate option, not a special add-on.
        Anyway, the hotel have confirmed overnight that my rate is dinner-inclusive. I had also contacted them previously to ask if dinner-inclusive rates included all of the restaurants in the hotel (including the Dhow!) and was told Yes.

This seemed a bit unlikely to me, something may have been lost in translation, but even if it’s restricted I think we’ll still have done well. Good to know the other options are cheap, we’ll have a look at the Asian one, thanks.

Myself and MrsD are both Radisson Gold (thanks Amex!) so I suppose there is a very slim chance of an upgrade to lounge access?

Cancellation policy suggests it is a semi-flexible rate, so don’t know why there’s no modify, I guess because…I.T.
        And they say cars will drive themselves…

10. Shoestring says:

1 million Travelodge rooms for £29 *or less*

For stays up to and including the 31st March 2020.

You’re not going to find Central London for £29 so don’t bother looking. Out of town – yes.