Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Join me at the Loyalty Summit conference in London next week for 75% off

A lot of big names in the travel loyalty industry (plus me) are speaking at Loyalty Summit at The May Fair hotel next Thursday 19th.

Jeremy Rabe, CEO of Aimia, is probably the biggest draw but there are top loyalty speakers from Accor, Hotels.com, Radisson, Points.com, LNER, Virgin Atlantic, Hertz, Miles & More, Norwegian, Flybe, SAS, Royal Jordanian etc. And Head for Points.

The full schedule is here.  It is a ‘100% Powerpoint free’ conference, focused more on discussions than on presentations.

I was offered a $199 rate for my staff.  However, as my entire London staff will be off at Virgin’s A350 launch party in New York (as I would be, if I hadn’t agreed to speak here) the organisers have let me offer the deal to a small number of readers who work in, or are interested in, the loyalty industry.

YOU MUST BOOK TODAY, Friday 13th.  Book a ‘Supplier’ ticket which prices at $799 and use code HFP to reduce it to $199.  If the code does not work then we have reached our cap, but email me and I will see what I can do.

Your ticket also gets you optional free entry to the Frequent Traveler Awards ceremony and gala dinner on Thursday evening, at the same venue.  For $199 for the full programme it is probably cheaper than just going out for dinner and drinks in Mayfair on a Thursday evening.

Comments (98)

• Jamesay says:

One way car rentals … Europcar not only company that offers these … I’ve never found my rental with Europcar… try Driiveme.. has an app with alerts too! https://www.driiveme.co.uk/search-rental.html

• Spaghetti Town says:

Out of interest rob, what card do you use for your everyday shopping? the M&M Card?

• Rob says:

Yes. Given my Avios and VS piles, the marginal value of a Star Alliance mile is far higher. Need all the options possible with a family of 4!

• Luca_S says:

Totally O/T but has anyone had any experience with Indonesia AirAsia or any chance you can point me to their “objective” safety reviews?

I normally have zero safety concern if an airline flys to Europe or US since it’s already a very high safety bar. But Indonesia AirAsia is a local-only low cost airline and had quite a weird crash back in 2014 (although by itself it doesn’t mean much). So I’m keen to get your thoughts

• Pug206 says:

We used them in May – Singapore to Bali and return. They’re fine similar to EasyJet. Would use again.

• Axel Heyst says:

You can look for alternatives to AirAsia on Traveloka or tiket.com.

Lion Air is the Group most Indonesians avoid for domestics because of the amount of theft from checked bags and non-maintenance etc.

• BJ says:

To the best of my knowledge the only fatal accident for any variant of Air Asia was Indonesian flight QZ8501. If you google it the facts are are not going to ease your concerns I’m afraid. Personally, I have no concerns flying any variant of Air Asia but I refuse to fly Lion Air or Garuda as both use 737. The age of fleets for Air Asia are very young and are all a320 or a330 in the case of Air Asia X. Before I flew Air Asia, I flea to Bali twice with SQ and once with TG. The SQ flights went tech on both occasions. Air Asia is my preferred airline for regional flights within Asia.

• pauldb says:

Anyone else think we might get an Amex travel spend bonus soon? (600/200 etc.) They happened in September last year (about the 10th) and I was hoping they’d be as generous again given the fee increase. I have a Plat card I’ve kept going for an extra couple of weeks in case, but my optimism is fading.

• BJ says:

No reason to think they have stopped AFAIK. I’m no longer platinum but that is ok as the lesser variant would suit me better this time. Perhaps we will see it when the current BA card offers end.

• Mikeact says:

Totally OT, but may help someone. We’ve just booked a sunshine break for a few days In Lanzarote next February using RFS.
    I was amazed to see four CE seats available back to Gatwick on Sunday March 1st, I’ve grabbed two and I see that the other two are still showing this morning.

• pauldb says:

They’re selling CE seats on that flight for €175. So letting them go for 17k avios and £25 is not especially generous (17k releases deferred revenue of maybe £85).

Y is only €30. Amazing for such a long flight. Given the flexible seating, 17k+£25 CE seems more profitable for BA than €30 Y.

• Charlieface says:

TBH if you really want the extra space but have a lounge card and don’t care for the airplane food you may as well buy yourself a second seat.

• Mikeact says:

Yes, I checked one way as well, but then, it hardly makes a dent in my Avios and it’s good to be able to change or cancel if we stay longer or go elsewhere . As you say for a 4+ hour flight it’s not bad at all. For a £1 flight (+ the £35 change etc. fee) makes it a bit of a no brainer for me.

• BJ says:

Thanks all for these comments, we’ve never been to the Canary Islands so I’ll look into it. Prices are excellent and should see my partner stay Bronze member, and time of year works well.

• pauldb says:

It’s a good time to go with the greatest temperature difference – a sharp gain for a shorthaul flight. However that is reflected in the hotel prices. Haven’t done Lanzarote but did like the Meloneras area of Gran Canaria in preference to Tenerife which IMO has less to see.

• BJ says:

I’m clueless as to best island but I’ll do some research. I think Marriott had some cheap redemptions too the last time I looked so I probably should try to wind all this up today with Marriott seasonal pricing issuee also.

• pauldb says:

RC Abama, Tenerife is nice. Out of town – need a car if you want to see anything. Best beach on the island IMO (of a bad lot!). Cash pricing can be pretty low so in fact we got a ridiculous deal through Amex FHR if you’re eligible.

• Anna says:

Are you kidding? Tenerife has the stunning Teide National Park (you can sunbathe while gazing up at a 4,000 metre snow capped volcano, pyramids and mummies, the location of the battle where Nelson lost his arm, lava fields, whale and dolphin watching, a 2000 year old tree, the list goes on! The most diverse Canary Island IMO. However, Lanzarote is very beautiful with far superior beaches and some of the best snorkelling I have ever experienced.

• pauldb says:

I’m not knocking TFS but preferred GC. Teide and and the lava fields are indeed stunning but that’s a half day trip. I honestly preferred a day in the hills of GC: there’s a lot more real villages up there. Same goes for Las Palmas which is a nice city with Christopher Columbus heritage. And Meloneras (not Maspalomas!) was a step up from Costa Adeje.

• BJ says:

Is it practical to visit two or more islands on one trip?

• pauldb says:

There are plenty of flights between the islands but be aware that for Tenerife those flights are typically from TFN, not as practical for the tourist areas as BA’s TFS. GC/ACE combined no problem. Any island has enough for a week so I wouldn’t split for the sake of it. If you like one, you’ll go back to another right? But if you want a 10-14 night trip that seems like a good idea.
            The other thing you could do is combine TFS with La Gomera: quieter, smaller island a boat trip away which realistically you’d never do other than in combination with TFS.

• BJ says:

Thanks Paul, I’llexplore pptions this evening.

• Mikeact says:

Bj…definitely easy to go island to island, fly or ferry. As somebody said, we did Tenerife over to LaGomera last time on the fast ferry as I’m into serious walking which LaGomera certainly is, in fact can be pretty dangerous/challenging.

• BJ says:

@Mikeact, funny you should mention that because I am already expecting a hard sell with my partner who likes to hit the hills. Figured this might be a good compromise to combine winter sun and hiking.

• Nate1309 says:

Only on my ARCC. Not on Plat, Sup Plat, SGP, BA, BA supp. Was exactly the same with the morrisons offers.
    Not really making me want to give AMEX money for the pay for use cards when my free one gets all the best offers and still earns 1MR/£
    Seems like a crazy business strategy to me.

• Doug says:

I also got Spend £80 or more, get £40 back at Mews Pizza Co. That looks nice, but really do they expect me to bring an army for pizza? FFS

• pauldb says:

Three courses or wine/cocktails plus tip and two of you will easily get to £80. Don’t forget it’s in Mayfair. All that for net £40, the price of a basic Pizza Express set menu? Hardly FFS.

• SimonW says:

They also do a decent pizza making class. which will end up free.

• EwanG says:

O/T: Enterprise car rental
    Enterprise Plus are repeating their “Plus your points” promo which ran last winter. This gave bonus points on rentals but was also an easy way to pick up some free points, thereby extending expiry date (points expire after 3 years of no activity) and might be of interest to some on here.

Promo runs 2 October to 31 January. Preregistration now open, I suspect for those who participated last time. plusyourpoints.enterprise.com currently says ‘coming soon’