BA sale

Earn 26,000 miles with a new Virgin Flying Club life insurance deal

Virgin Flying Club has relaunched its offer with Virgin Money life insurance – and with a slightly higher mileage incentive.

Until 15th January 2020 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members who take out a life insurance policy from Virgin Money will receive up to 26,000 Flying Club miles.

The number of miles you can earn varies by the monthly premium you choose:

This is a little better than it was when the offer last ran.  The £40 band now offers 18,000 miles vs 16,000 miles, for example.  The £50+ band went up from 25,000 miles to 26,000 miles.

The small print says that the miles will arrive up to 60 days after the sixth consecutive monthly payment.  You will therefore be paying £300 to earn 26,000 miles if you pick a £50 per month policy.

It isn’t worth taking out unnecessary insurance purely for the miles.  On the other hand, if you are currently paying for cover and can get a similar policy from Virgin Money for a similar price, this could be an easy way of picking up 26,000 miles.

The application website is here.

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

All you need to know about earning Avios in Aer Lingus AerClub - including from flying United!
Is there a second contender for 'Smallest Priority Pass Lounge in the World'?!

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Still haven’t got round to cancelling our £2 policies for 10k points from last year!

• Assume you can’t get this now?

• Shoestring says:

you can still get £2/ month life insurance policies (6 months minimum) for £100 payout – just not with Virgin!

• Hopefully another month and I’ll be able to cancel!

• Any pointer on what provider offers this through the cashbk sites – there’s quite a few!

• Shoestring says:

Only 1 offering £100 that I can see, it’s a household name acting as a consolidator so you get to choose from several providers

• When getting a quote, what’s best to put for the amount of cover to ensure the lowest premiums?

• Shoestring says:

my 18YO son came out cheapest, he only wanted something pretty limited, was it £10K level term?

• Thanks – I presume you’re answering the questions genuinely so that you actually have Life Insurance cover for those six months?

• Shoestring says:

yep I put in our genuine details, I was on the wagon at the time so my alcohol intake was honestly zero

seriously not a good idea to put in false personal details on insurance applications but I guess most people minimise their alcohol intake, doctors and presumably underwriters know this

• As a doctor, I can tell you that I usually assume most people eat and drink at least as twice as much as they ever tell their doctor.

• Any one had the £100 marked as payable yet?

• nope, applied in feb

• Me neither. Hoping soon, late Feb for me I think

• Shoestring says:

my Contents insurance from the sAME SOURCE (3 MONTHS’ MINIMUM) oops capitals! – paid out after 7 months, so we could be in for a wait, ie 6 months + another 3/4 months wait

• Sussex Bantam says:

Have you left the insurance running whilst waiting for it to become payable or cancelled at the 6 month mark ?

• Shoestring says:

just left ours running, I don’t think you need to as it clearly says you qualify with 6 months’ payments, but given the generous nature of the offer I’m not that bothered about another (say) 3x or 4x or 5x £2!

2. OT but no bits today

If I’ve booked future avios bookings with my BA Premium card and used companion vouchers on them am I ok to cancel the card now, or do I need to hold onto it for these?

Thanks in advance

3. OT but no bits. I’m finding IHG MC very temperamental when trying to load Revolut, won’t let me load more than £100 and some days declines outright. Does anyone else have this issue?

• Yes this is the norm. Better to use virgin card for revolut

• I don’t collect Virgin miles! This was supposed to be my alternative to Curve now I’ve spent my annual limit. I have HH visa which seems to work, so it’s not the end of the world, but wanted to split spend between that and IHG 😫

• Can’t you get a higher limit with curve or do they not like the type of transactions you putting through?

• TGLoyalty says:

Yeah its £700 in a rolling week.

£300 is the max so £300, £200, £200 over 7 days usually works.

4. OT but no bits:

When did we get the £200 off £600 Amex travel offers last year? I’m trying to work out if it’s been a year (and therefore unlikely to be repeated) or if I’m just inpatient…

• The last one ended in feb..

• I think there was an offer on August of last year too. Plat had £200 off and Gold had a £50 off a £200 spend.

• Travel Strong says:

I’m waiting it out. What I do know is I *made* the two bookings that triggered the offers in Oct 18 and Feb 19. I imagine I wouldn’t have had the offers for more than a couple of weeks before locking something in.

• Travel Strong says:

(and I have fully flex bookings direct with hotels for my future travels, which i’ll keep unless amex offers come along. Cover all your bases)

5. OT: Would you fly Ethiopian airlines? Sub £500 london to cpt tickets

• Spaghetti Town says:

Not flown them but supposed to be perfectly fine. They have a very new fleet of A350’s and 787’s. The 737MAX crash was just very unfortunate and as we now know, not the fault of the airline

• memesweeper says:

Friends of mine fly with them four times a year regular as clockwork and rate them highly. They only travel economy.

• Yes. Star Alliance, brand new aircraft.

6. OT: I have just qualified for the Amex Premium 2 for 1 voucher. I understand Open Jaw flights are allowed(following certain rules RE distance). I am looking to book an open Jaw to the USA but want to avoid high APD so was looking at departing from either INV or JER, but returning to MAN as this is our closest airport. Is this allowed or must the ticket end at the airport you departed from on the ticket ?

• Lady London says:

that should work.

• Yeah this is fine. I’ve flown from Inverness and back to Edinburgh before. You’ll save a decent amount as long as you are going First or Business. Not sure it would be worth it for Economy travel.

Have to do it via the call centre though. Can’t book 2for1 Avios Open Jaws on the website.

7. O/T as no bits — my apologies: the new BA suite on the MAD route — will the flights with this new seat revert to the old long-haul seat at the end of this month or will the new Suite be available on this route for the foreseeable future? Might have a November need to be in Madrid now, so curious whether the new Suite will still be available then? Any pointers much appreciated!

8. OT: What happens with Amex to a refund on a cancelled card?

• should show up on your account, then request refund to bank account via chat.

• Goes back onto the cancelled card. You need to contact Amex to tell them whether to send it to your bank or, easier, transfer it to another Amex you have.

9. OT: Shangri-La Golden Circle
    1) Can I transfer points from partner’s account to mine?
    2) If above is possible, I will be 12 points short of being able to redeem $50 dinner voucher, any ideas how to earn / buy those 12 points?

• If you need an airport transfer/taxi then try Blacklane. You can credit to Shangri La Golden Circle which is what I did to top up. I found them to be really great and comfortable.

• Ah just realised from research that you can pay with points directly at the restaurant (Ting at Shard), so I don’t need to earn the extra 12pts!

10. memesweeper says:

OT: no bits! I’ve got a hotels.com reward night I want to redeem against a cancelable rate on a foreign hotel. If I cancel, does anyone now if I get the reward night back in my account?

• memesweeper says:

Answer: yes, after 72 hours
      >>> If you cancel a refundable booking before the hotel or vacation rental’s cancellation deadline, we’ll return your reward night to your account within 72 hours. <<<

11. O/T and probably a stupid question. I’m shortly approaching the end of my BA tier point collection year. I’ve got 1900 tier points but somehow only managed 2 paid flights on BA this year.

I have an upcoming business trip to Edinburgh from LCY with BA City flyer which falls within my tier point year. Do BA City Flyer count as BA metal therefore enabling me to retain Gold?

Thanks in advance.