Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

30% bonus on buying Avios points extended  – but Groupon Spain is a better deal

Avios has extended the current 30% bonus when you buy points until 1st October.  However, a new Groupon Spain deal offers better value if you can take the risk that the admin process will run smoothly.

For the 30% bonus, you need to visit ba.com via this page in order to buy.

This is a poor deal, given that we regularly see bonuses of 40% or 50% these days.  The only positive aspect is that there is no minimum purchase.  The bonus kicks in with the smallest 1,000 Avios transaction.

Buy Avios bonus

Over at Groupon Spain …..

The Groupon ‘cheap Avios’ promotion in Spain, with Iberia Plus, is also back again.  Click here for details.

The Avios are not a steal at these prices either, but you will in most cases find them cheaper than the offical BA offer.

Here are the prices:

• 1,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €19 (1.68p)
  • 2,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €29 (1.28p)
  • 4,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €59 (1.30p)
  • 8,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €109 (1.20p)
  • 15,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €199 (1.17p)
  • 20,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €259 (1.15p)
  • 34,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €429 (1.11p)

You will need an Iberia Plus account to redeem your Groupon voucher, and you can then use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move them across to British Airways Executive Club.  Please remember that Iberia Plus accounts must be 90 days old before you can use ‘Combine My Avios’, so don’t open a new one specifically to take advantage of this deal.

Some people have had trouble getting their Avios recently due to IT issues with Groupon and Iberia.  I can only hope that, in the four months since this offer last ran, they have sorted themselves out.

Comments (175)

• Roy says:

O/T anyone else having trouble with the Accor Places app today?

• Freddy says:

Struggling to get a Marriott bonvoy number to call to transfer points, any pointers?

• Rooster says:

just the uk call centre will be fine
      00800 1927 1927

• Mark2 says:

surely that is the US call centre.
        UK is 020 7012 7312

• Freddy says:

I tried the 0207 earlier today and it wasn’t connecting

• Nick_C says:

Agree. The UK number doesn’t seem to work any more.

If you need to call the US, I recommend downloading the Ringo app. You can call the US as a local call on your mobile phone.

Used it to call AA recently for seat reservations on a JAL domestic redemption (booked the flights on line but couldn’t request seats).

• VJ says:

OT: PRG 3000 points on supplimentary card still ON?

• Nick_C says:

Advertised openly on their website, but I didn’t get it automatically this month, for the first time. (The supp card had been activated and used for a couple of weeks before I contacted them, but in the past the bonus has gone on as soon as the card is activated). On line chat couldn’t sort it. Had to phone the call centre. They initially said the offer wasn’t in my account. I pointed out the offer is on their website and they don’t say its targeted. They applied the bonus while I was on the phone to them.

• 3742 says:

Are you South African? You remind me of one, whose name is Cat.

• Benylin says:

OT: HSBC Premier Cc, does everyone else have a rubbish credit limit, I have £5k

• 3742 says:

I had £3k on the ordinary Premier CC, which sat in my safe for years and pre-dated my point collecting. When I upgraded it to the WE, I told them the limit must be reviewed. They asked how much I wanted; I asked for £10k, and they said yes straight away. They might have given more, but I’ll never know as I’ve no reason to ask.

Have you tried just talking to them about it? I find them quite approachable.

• Benylin says:

I asked them back when I wasn’t premier, and they asked a hundred questions before they upgraded my limits, it was a bit long winded. I have the free Premier CC.

• Bonglim says:

I applied for the HSCB world elite CC – and was assigned a 30k limit, way more than I wanted.

• Shoestring says:

looks like you can sign up without an invitation these days – 250 Accorpoints to give your IB a/c another 3 years’ life

• Shoestring says:

sorry link didn’t work (my wife got the invitation this week & that worked fine!)

• meta says:

Yes, need to fill in one survey after sign-up which will give you an extra 25 or 50 points.

• BJ says:

Anybody can sign up by clicking through from the partner page on Flying Blue therefore I am guessing the same might be true from partner page on Accor.

• Shoestring says:

300 free IB Avios to give your IB a/c 3 more years’ life

• BJ says:

Cool, thought it would work. I did the Flying Blue version last week to get my balance up to the next round 1000 Just a reminder to anybody who has forgotten, or didn’t know -Flying Blue miles and Accor points can be transferred in either direction by linking accounts under their Miles and Points partnership.

• Nick_C says:

Just listened to Rob’s interview on You and Yours. Immediately after the interview (10.36), the presenter says;

“Airbus have sent us a statement which says that they are working with airlines on this, and that next year they’ll be updating the software on these planes and that will solve the problem.”

So that’s all right then. We’ve seen how well software fixes can rectify load imbalances. 😨