BA Sale

How to earn and spend Avios on Vueling flights

IAG’s Spanish low cost carrier Vueling (pronounced bwelin) has been part of Avios for almost two years now, although not everyone is aware of it.  It is worth knowing about because of Vueling’s regional presence at UK airports.

The options for earning and spending Avios are very confusing even by HFP standards, so heaven knows how members of the public are meant to cope.

To put it simply:

You earn Avios on Vueling flights based on your ticket price – unless you buy it at iberia.com as a codeshare, in which case you earn based on the distance flown

You can redeem Avios on Vueling purely on a ‘money off’ basis – unless you redeem via Iberia Plus, in which case you pay a fixed amount plus taxes based on the trip distance.

This article does NOT cover the few Vueling flights which are sold on ba.com which are codeshares and come with a British Airways flight number.  These flights credit to your British Airways Executive Club account in the usual way.  Note that you will usually pay more to book Vueling via ba.com than via its own website.

What is Vueling?

Vueling is a low cost airline, based in Barcelona, owned by BA’s parent company IAG.  It is run separately to Iberia.

Whilst Vueling doesn’t have the greatest reputation for punctuality or comfort, it now serves 128 cities.  The main base is in Barcelona with a secondary hub in Rome.

Vueling operates from five airports in the UK.  Here is the UK route network:

Edinburgh to Barcelona

Manchester to Barcelona

Birmingham to Barcelona

Cardiff to Mallorca, Alicante, Malaga

London Gatwick to Paris, Rome, Alicante, Barcelona, Bilbao, Asturias

London Heathrow to A Coruna (this route appears to be ending in March 2020)

About Vueling Club

Two years ago, Vueling moved its existing reward scheme, Punto, into Avios.  Punto was renamed Vueling Club.

Vueling Club has revenue based earning and revenue based spending.

In an interesting departure from the BA model, you are able to use ‘part pay with Avios’ to cover the entire cost of a flight including taxes.

Full details of Vueling Club can be found on the Vueling website here.

Vueling Club Avios

EARNING AVIOS ON VUELING:

Does this mean I can earn Avios when flying Vueling?

You can earn Avios on ANY Vueling ticket booked via their website.

With the closure of the Avios Travel Rewards Programme, you will need to either:

use an existing Aer Lingus AerClub number or

open a new Vueling Club account

Both of these options will give you an account number starting with 3081 which can be used to log in at the avios.com website, from where you can transfer your Avios from Vueling Club to British Airways Executive Club.

You can also enter an Iberia Plus number on the Vueling website, following a change in 2018.

You cannot use a British Airways Executive Club number.

How many Avios will I earn from Vueling?

It is a revenue based system.  The more you spend, the more you earn:

Basic fares earn 3 Avios per €1 spent

Optima, Family and Timeflex Fares earn 4 Avios per €1 spent

Premium members – who take 40 Vueling one-way flights each year – will earn double Avios.  Ancilliary spend is included.

This page of the Vueling website explains the earning rates in more detail.

It gets more complicated though ….

If you book a Vueling flight via iberia.com (note that the cheapest fares are not available on iberia.com, so there don’t do this if your main concern is the lowest price) you earn Avios in a different way.

Take a look at the Vueling partner page on the Iberia website:

If you book a Vueling flight via iberia.com, it will have an Iberia (IB) flight number.  This means that you earn Avios based on the distance flown:

• Business – 2.5 Avios per mile flown (min 1250)
  • Discounted Business – 1.5 Avios per mile flown (min 750)
  • Economy Flexible – 1 Avios per mile flown (min 500)
  • Economy Classic – 0.5 Avios per mile flown (min 250)
  • Economy Basic – 0.25 Avios per mile flown (min 125)

Similarly, if you book a Vueling (VY) flight on the Vueling site which is operated by Iberia, you also earn Avios based on distance flown:

• Business – 2.5 Avios per mile flown (min 1250)
  • Discounted Business – 1.5 Avios per mile flown (min 750)
  • Flexible Economy – 1 Avios per mile flown (min 500)
  • Classic Economy – 0.5 Avios per mile flown (min 250)
  • Basic Economy – 0.25 Avios per mile flown (min 125)

Vueling

SPENDING AVIOS ON VUELING

Can I spend Avios on Vueling?

Have they made it insanely complicated by creating two separate pricing models?

You can either book Vueling redemptions on the Vueling booking site or via Iberia Plus.

Note – and this is important – you cannot book Vueling redemption flights via ba.com or avios.com.

Pros and cons of booking Avios flights on Vueling via vueling.com

Redemptions on vueling.com are ONLY available via the ‘part pay with Avios’ method.  You can use Avios to pay as much or as little of the flight cost as you want.  Unlike redeeming Avios for BA flights at ba.com, you get a flat value per Avios and there is no limit to how many you can use..

You need to log in using your avios.com account details on vueling.com.  If your Avios currently sit in a British Airways account, you will need to move them into avios.com – giving your Vueling Club account number – using ‘Combine My Avios’ (click here).

Select the flights you want.  You can book ANY flight.  There are no availability restrictions.

On the payment page you will be offered the chance to pay with Avios.

The rate is very poor, unfortunately.  You will be offered 0.53p per Avios.  Personally, I think you need your head examining if you accept such a weak redemption rate for your points.  I would want to get double that when redeeming.

Pros and cons of bookings Avios flights on Vueling via Iberia Plus

You can also redeem Avios via Iberia Plus for Vueling at fixed Avios prices.  This involves:

• opening an Iberia Plus account at iberia.com
  • having it open for at least 90 days
  • earning at least 1 Avios in the account from a BA or oneworld flight, from crediting a hotel stay, from another partner or from moving across some American Express Membership Rewards points and then
  • using ‘Combine My Avios’ to move your points to Iberia Plus

The problem is that Avios redemptions on Vueling are usually not competitive due to the taxes.   Avios redemptions do get a free checked suitcase, however, which may swing it.

Here is a pricing example:

I looked at a typical Vueling flight from London Gatwick to Rome in January.

Via iberia.com / Iberia Plus, it priced up at 15,000 Avios + £82.42 in taxes

Via vueling.com / Vueling Club, a cash ticket was £56 for Basic (no luggage) or £81 for Optima (suitcase included, as you would get with an Avios redemption via Iberia Plus).  The £81 Optima flight could be reduced to £0 by using 15,325 Avios – 0.53p per point.

In this case, the Iberia Plus option is the poorer deal – although it is refundable.  The Vueling Club redemption is not refundable unless you book a refundable underlying ticket.

I never fly Vueling – is there anything in this for me?

Another Avios programme gives you more opportunities for earning.

If there are any Vueling-only promotions running with partners, such as hotels or car hire groups, you can take advantage, earn points in Vueling Club and then move them across to British Airways Executive Club.

It is also another option to take advantage of ‘one time only’ sign-up bonuses.  You may have already got a bonus from a partner using your British Airways Executive Club number, but you could use your Vueling Club number to earn a second one …..

In summary, with Vueling …..

You can earn Avios on any Vueling ticket, irrespective of cost, as long as you credit to a Vueling Club account or an existing Aer Lingus AerClub account starting 3081.  However, on more expensive ticket types you may earn more Avios by booking at Iberia Plus where you will earn based on distance flown.

You can redeem Avios for a discount – of up to 100% – on any Vueling flight in any class via ‘part pay with Avios’ when you book at vueling.com.  You need to log in using your Vueling Club / Aer Lingus AerClub details and, if necessary, use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move your points from BA to avios.com.

You can also redeem for Vueling flights via Iberia Plus.  These rewards are priced using the standard distance model, eg 4,500 Avios plus taxes for a short one-way flight in Economy.

You cannot redeem via the avios.com platform and you cannot redeem via ba.com.

You can find out more about Vueling Club on this page of the Vueling website.

More Arsenal tickets now available for Emirates Skywards miles
BA AMEX BUSINESS: Is the British Airways American Express Accelerating Business Card worth a look?

Comments

1. What about earning Tier Points?

• ChrisBCN says:

Not possible

• ChrisBCN says:

To expand, if you book via Vueling you will not earn BA tier points.
        If you book via BA and with a BA flight number, you will earn tier points, just beware that in the vast majority of cases you will pay a lot more cash for the flight; I would always compare the prices to see if the extra tier points are worth that much cash…

• Shoestring says:

[Some Vueling flights are codeshares with British Airways. This means that they can be booked via ba.com and your flight will carry a British Airways flight code. In this case you will earn Avios directly in your British Airways Executive Club account and earn tier points. Fares are likely to be higher than you will find at vueling.com however.]

Iberia Plus members can earn Elite Points.

2. Yes I was going to ask about lounge access also, eg if Iberia platino / Oro do you get the same benefits if booked under and IB flight no?

• memesweeper says:

If you are BA silver or better and book a codeshare you do not get lounge access but you will earn TPs.

• Alwaysflying says:

I’m a little confused about this, surely if you book a code share through the IBERIA website and you fly on an IB flight number you should have access to the lounges etc as you would if you were flying IBERIA.

If I book a BA flight and its a code share with CATHAY PACIFIC, I can still use the BA lounges. Surely that’s part of the point of a code share?

3. They also fly from Luton, by the way 😀

4. Shoestring says:

Errors and omissions excepted 🙂

5. Don’t get caught out by a quirk on the Iberia booking system (I did). There is a drop down to select your frequent flyer scheme when booking a Vueling flight with Iberia flight no. BA Executive Club is one of the drop down options. BA will refuse to award your Avios and Iberia will refuse to let you change your mind and award to Iberia after the event. Appeals to BA, Iberia, Avios and IAG fall on deaf ears despite them being one company and perfectly capable of making ex-gratia awards to deal with with problems.

• Adam Brown says:

Did you contact Vueling directly? As it is a Vueling operated flight then Vueling would have been responsible for paying for the Avios and it wouldn’t matter if they were paying to Executive Club or Iberia Plus. Obviously if you have a Vueling Club account then they are even more likely to award you the points.

6. The one omission I’ve spotted is that you can also use your IB Plus account number when booking VY off their direct website.

• Doog1000 says:

I can confirm this

• Michael Jennings says:

I have flown four Iberia flights in the past month – all booked on the Vueling site and all credited to an Iberia Plus number. I received both Avios and Iberia Elite Points for all of them. The Avios were clearly based on revenue – 3 avios per euro spent. I don’t know how they calculated the Elite points, but they appear to be based on the distance flown rather than revenue.

Exact details:

The return LGW-CDG return ticket cost a total of 72.99 euro, LGW-BIO cost £51.64 (paid on July 3) and LCG-LHR cost 57.99 euro

My Iberia Plus account now shows:

Date Description Sector Avios Elite Points
        30/09/19 Vy7104 Lcg – Lhr ( La Coruna – London ) Class q Flights 174 20
        27/09/19 Vy7293 Lgw – Bio ( London – Bilbao ) Class q Flights 172 20
        09/09/19 Vy8772 Cdg – Lgw ( Paris – London ) Class d Flights 84 15
        06/09/19 Vy8773 Lgw – Cdg ( London – Paris ) Class o Flights 135 15

7. You can also credit VY coded flights to IbPlus, where you get Avios and Elite Points.

It’s important that in this case, you add your IbPlus number during the booking process. You can only retrocredit Vy coded flights to Vueling Club/Avios. You cannot modify the FFP after you made your booking in the VY website.

• TGLoyalty says:

I thought that was only if they had an IB flight number? Atleast it was the only time I flew them a couple years ago.

• Yes, whilst the option is there (I booked a VY flight a couple of weeks ago) I have no idea of the implication of selecting it for a VY coded flight. Are you saying it credits – on a VY coded and operated flight – on the revenue basis?

I thought it may be codeshares only.

• Correct. This is how it works since last summer. Now you can credit your VY coded Vueling flights directly to Iberia Plus. That means you can get Avios (the same quantity you would get as in Vueling Club/AerClub, as it is also revenue based), Elite Points and qualification segments to reach higher tiers in the IbPlus scheme.

8. Planeconcorde says:

Vueling also fly :
    London (Heathrow) (LHR) – A Coruña (LCG)

9. Semi O/T: Has anyone been able to successfully open a new Iberia Plus account recently? I tried last night on different browsers and devices but got an error, and was unable to.

• In 2000, I have a IB flight.
      IB is not part of IAG at that time.

I pick a brochure and fill all the fields to open a IB plus rewards card.
      Nothing seems to happen

Three years later in 2003, I receive my card.

And I did not have credited my flight but whatever.

In 2010 I try to connect on internet to see my account online.
      I fail as I have never created a online account before.

The system ask for the “famous” “what is your ID or passport number?” question.
      But I believe I have never submitted this.
      I do not remember I have written it on the brochure to open the account in 2000.

In 2013 I email IB Plus.
      The team reply tome that the account still exist.

To my surprise I receive quickly after a new IB Plus card by physical mail, with this time all the oneworl logos on it.

In 2015, I have still, of course I presume logically for the IB IT, the error messages about the wrong passport number and the wrong email.
      Here also I believe I have never submitted my email before.

I email IB Plus again, twice in two months, and attached to the email the famous paper you can download on the site when there is an error to access the account.
      They want the copy of your passport.
      I provide that.
      And I write down what is my email.

Nothing happens.

Last year, the famous game 9000 avios reward is marketed.

I do nothing.

Suddenly I receive two marketing emails from Iberia and IB Plus each month.

All my emails show a 0 avios balance as expected.

But now my email is correctly registered.
      I am sure this is linked to the 9000 avios saga.

But I still cannot acces my online account even if I have already send them my passport number.
      The control fails again when I try.

I do not need the account yet so I wait before sending them again another email or paper of passport number verification.

So basically it takes time…

• Shoestring says:

Hello there, Bob, you young roister-doister, welcome tp HfP. You look a likely sort of lad for tricks and sports and all sorts of jolly, rosy cheap capering, eh. Of course you do, and more besides, I warrant thee, young scamp.

• Excellent!

Thanks for welcoming me to HFP… that I read now for 5 years and comment from time to time.

:-)))))

• So EwanG, you may want to email IB:
      [email protected]
      to ask if your account is created or not, and to get your IB Plus number, I guess you miss it.

You are supposed to put your IB number in the object of the email to get it read.
      And to put ony that in the object.
      I am not sure how it works if you cannot put one inside.

I know that my acces to the account on internet is blocked.
      But I will manage that later in life.

When you know your number, you may be able to proceed.

• Thanks Bob and Harry!
        Got there in the end. They wanted a real mobile phone number! 😉

10. Adam Brown says:

Just one point – Whilst I agree that the Vueling set up is complicated as you have set it out I do disagree that it is complicated for users away from this (and similar) website. For 90% of Vueling customers it is simple as they collect and spend in Vueling Club, and similarly for Iberia members it is the same with most members never even thinking about collecting outside of Iberia Plus.
    The two systems is an attempt to ensure that the members who already collected into IB+ do not lose out whilst opening up more functionality to the customers who booked and flew Vueling only. We shouldn’t fall into the trap of imagining that the readers of this site are representative of the general travelling public (especially for a low cost leisure airline) I love this hobby of ours and the attempts to find interesting opportunities – but we are far from mainstream.

11. Sorry for off topic but… just booked Etihad to SYD for myself and wife in Z, and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on best scheme to credit to… have searched ‘where to credit’, and will probably end up going to AA, but would prefer to end up with Avios or Virgin miles, as these are the only schemes I have reasonable chance of collecting enough to redeem. Virgin Aus is an option, but can I then use them through Virgin Atlantic? Just trying to avoid redundant amounts in schemes around the world…

• Etihad has Points Pay, remember, which lets you move them all onto a pre-paid Mastercard (which you can use to buy yourself an Amazon gift card online) and you’re getting well over 0.5p per point. Not the worst option.

AA is a decent choice but only if you could top them up – if you got enough to book a BA one-way somewhere you could use Avios for the return.

• Thanks. I think for ease, we might go for the Points Pay, ‘cash’ always welcome! We ended up moving a load of Miles & More to Heathrow rewards vouchers after a Swiss deal to the far east for £999 a few years back. About £80 worth I think. Not the greatest return but certainly better than a few expired miles.