BA sale

Earn double Avios at Bicester Village

Bicester Village, the discount luxury shopping outlet in Oxfordshire, is running a special sale until 3rd November.

As part of this promotion, Bicester Village is also offering double Avios.  The standard Avios rate is 5 Avios per £4 spent.  During this sale period, you will receive 10 Avios per £4 spent.  This includes food and drink spend on site.

You do not claim your Avios in each individual store.  You need to take your receipts to the Visitor Centre who will process them in one transaction.

Bicester Village Avios

Amusingly, Bicester Village imposes a £30,000 per calendar year cap on your Avios earning at the base rate.  If you spend more than £30,000 in a calendar year (!) you will only earn 5 Avios per £20 spent above the cap.

You can find out more on this special BA page of the Bicester Village website.

Note that Bicester Village works with MANY other airline partners so if Avios is not your core focus you should still find a partner to suit you.

Are the best cashback credit cards a good alternative to miles and points cards?
Amex 'Shop Small' returns for 2019 - but it is capped

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. Shoestring says:

‘Walsh’s patience appears to be wearing thin with Alex Cruz, the BA chief. Earlier this month Walsh repeatedly sidestepped questions as to whether Cruz had his full support. There had been “failings” on both sides, the IAG chief said and expressed “sympathy” for the pilots’ demands.’

2. Harry T says:

Another OT, apologies.

Looking to book Lufthansa flights from Newcastle to Munich with miles. Can this be done with Singapore Airlines Krisflyer miles? SQ website won’t let me put in Newcastle as a place to depart from. Can reward flights on Lufthansa only be booked with Miles and More miles?

• You can do it but will need to call SQ. Unlikely to be a bargain because of the way their chart works – potentially same mileage cost as Newcastle to Athens ….

3. OT: Just phoned BA to book the return for my open jaw booking using my companion voucher. Returning from GIG to LHR. Expecting £47 worth of taxes (as you get for making a one way booking from Rio) but was informed as I was using the companion voucher it adds an extra £393.80 in taxes and surcharges. Is this correct?

• Yes. You are booking a return flight, ticketed in the UK, so you pay full taxes.

If you’d booked a one-way home, it would be ticketed locally and so the local law banning surcharges would kick in. But you’re not, so it doesn’t.

• Ah but presumably LewisB already paid APD when he booked the outwards journey so why so much extra to zdd the return?

• Yes. I already had the outbound paid for from Gatwick to Lima. The agent explained I could book as two singles to save on surcharges. I purposely planned this trip to end in Rio for the savings but you can’t have it all!

• It’s not APD, it’s BA’s “surcharge” which it can’t legally add on tickets issued in certain countries.

• If Lewis hasn’t actually booked the return yet (or maybe even if it hasn’t been ticketed and/or is within 24 hours of the change) and assuming he has sufficient Avios, couldn’t he just book the return online and then call to get the 2-4-1 applied and half the Avios returned but with no change to the charges? Same as those people booking at midnight at T-330 who don’t want to ring to add the return. Or is this different as it’s an open jaw? Or because it’s not T-330?

• @Louise I had sufficient avios to make the booking for two seats (150k) but I phoned to do it since I had to phone anyway. I see what you mean though, would they had asked for additional taxes when asking for the refund of the 75,000 avios?

• Normally (i.e. when people book online at midnight to avoid ringing up) they don’t recalculate the charges I believe. I don’t know if your situation would be different – does anyone else?

• Yes they do (bar a few untrained agents).

For the US you NEED recalculation otherwise you overpay by £400 each.

• @Rob – not according to the Flyertalk thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1837890-ba-american-express-2-4-1-voucher-discussion.html Wiki which says “Note: you are strongly advised not to use this new method of booking two separate one ways if going to the US/Canada. When booking as two separate bookings and having the 2-4-1 applied across both is that taxes/charges/fees are not recalculated when the voucher is applied across to the second booking. Sometimes this will work out well for you (bookings exHKG for example), but for exUS or exCA bookings it is not recommended at all since exUS/CA taxes/fees/charges are very high”.

• I spoke to Avios about this. They told me that there is no new policy and that agents who are doing this are operating under their own initiative …

4. Secret Squirrel says:

OT:
    Can anyone advise me the Marriott Bonvoy UK customer service number please?
    I have called 0207 012 7316 as on their site but when called states invalid number?

5. Oh no! Bad news for consumers. Air New Zealand saying good bye to Europe, and in particular, to LHR-LAX.

6. Shoestring says:

I reckon I will get an extension, sounds like good news

my wife has sent out a lorryload of furniture to our house in the sun, due Thursday

I reckon she’s f’d up and no way will it arrive this week while I am here, you can’t trust them to do what is contracted

so I will have to cancel my IB tickets (Sunday) & buy new Avios fares for next week

7. The Streets says:

Interesting tie up between Avios and Barclays… I have just been offered 25,000 Avios to switch my banking to them for the free Barclays UK Premier Account

8. OT anyway to change seats online for a JAL flight booked through BA thanks

• Phone BA? I have a JAL domestic flight coming up. Booked with AA (redemption). No way to reserve seats on line, even with the JAL record locator, but AA were able to do it over the phone.

• ETA – I assume you are talking about a domestic flight, because I also have a JAL international flight coming up (HK to HND). This was booked on line with BA but I did the seat reservation through the JAL website with no problems.

9. OT but IHG related

Just had an email saying the bonus kindle books will be ending next year

• Bloke formerly in India says:

same. However their i stayed at a HI in Portsmouth UK this week and on connecting to hotel wifi it now offers quite a few newspapers and magazines as pdf downloads which it didn’t last time i was there a few weeks back.