Book now – Hilton has launched its Winter Sale for weekend stays to mid-2020

Hilton has launched its Winter Sale with decent weekend deals across Europe, Africa and Middle East.

Full details are on the Hilton website here.

The sale offers up to 30% off the standard Best Available Rate if you are a Hilton Honors member.

That said ….. basing the ‘30% saving’ on the Best Available Bed & Breakfast rate is not exactly fair. Sale rates are non refundable so it is cheeky to compare them to a refundable rate but these deals do usually offer a saving on the usual ‘advanced purchase’ price. Full pre-payment needs to be made at time of booking.

Hilton winter sale

This rate is only available for weekend stays.  The good news is that you can lock in prices for stays between now and as far out as 31st August 2020.  Rooms must be booked by 28th January 2020.

Included is, for example, the gorgeous Hilton Paris, which Anika reviewed here, for £191 per night instead of £259 on 11th January 2020. As I said above, £259 is actually the ‘refundable’ price so it is not a true comparison, but the difference between the refundable and non-refundable price is usually only 10% or so. During sale periods it is, in theory, larger.

The 30% savings are for Hilton Honors members only. The normal sale discount rate is 25%. If you aren’t a Hilton Honors member – very unlikely I admit if you are a regular HFP reader! – you can sign up when booking your stay.

Sale offers will work alongside the current Hilton Honors double points promotion. You earn double base points on all stays up to 5th January 2020. You can find out more in this HFP article and you can register here.

Hilton winter sale

Don’t forget Hilton’s generous status match offer

If you have top or mid-tier status with another hotel loyalty scheme, Hilton will match you to Gold for 90 days and give you an opportunity to keep it until March 2021 or even be upgraded to Diamond.

Details of how you can claim your status match are in this article.

Top-tier Diamond status comes with guaranteed Executive Lounge access and (on request) late check-out at most brands.  Gold – which you are given instantly as part of the match – gets you free breakfast and some sort of upgrade.  If you have status elsewhere that you can match, and can pick up a sale deal at a property with a decent lounge, you should get a good deal.

Full sale details and the booking site are here.

Bits: more Arsenal seats for Emirates / Amex points, Mandarin Oriental benefits, Virgin Atlantic joins Vitality
Avios Ireland: 250 free Avios, and on-going bonuses, by using your Visa card at SuperValu

Comments

1. I booked a couple of hotels yesterday. I was a bit annoyed to find that in both cases the rate shown was nowhere to be found once I went to select a room type. The difference was only £4-5 more in both cases so not a big deal so far as price goes but it still creates an unecessary unfavourable impression of Hilton.

• In my experience this usually happens when the lower price is for an accessible room and profile is set to not show these by default.

• Thanks, that’s a good tip although such rooms will be limited so I wouldn’t feel comfortable removing them from the market when others might need them.

• Agree, I don’t ever book these myself, but just helps to understand where the ‘invisible’ rates come from.

• Charlieface says:

Also there’s often a drop down below the main rates for each room, with more sale rates, sometimes these are the cheapest.

• Cheers, despite knowing about that, I have a bad habit of forgetting. Must remember to do so going forward.

2. Arno McLean says:

Is there normally a sale for the USA, or do they normally start around Black Friday?

• Sales in USA run frequently but they often tend to be focussed on a few states or cities at a time. Watch their website for details or sign up for offer emails.

• Same here. I’m in Fort Lauderdale in February and the Hilton USA sales seem scarce compared to Europe.

3. Spurs Debs says:

I booked a night at MK dons doubletree for £38 to trigger 5000 bonus, can I check in online and not go or do I physically have to turn up and check in?

• If mid week night I can take it

• Spurs Debs says:

It’s a Sunday night in January. It’s only 15 mins from home so no great hardship to pop along if I have to.

• You need to turn up. If this is for the Media Promotion, Lady London reported that stays have to be within 60 days of registration or they don’t count. You could have bought 5000 points for just over £20.

• Spurs Debs says:

I might even go to catch up on a nights sleep yet.

• Spurs Debs says:

5000points is $ 50 now I’m not a whiz with exchange rates but I think that’s probably nearer £40 than £20!

• 100% bonus (until Tuesday I think), granted you have to buy a minimum 10,000. The bonus on media promotion may depend when you signed up; I don’t recall precise details but I think LadyLondon said the 60 day term was added later so accounts registered before then may be ok. I’m hoping so, otherwise I’ll miss out too as I have yet to do my stays.

• I would struggle to value 5,000 points at more than £12.50, so I’m surprised you’ve decided to buy them for £38! What trick am I missing?

• Lady London says:

Yes I did report Hilton snuck in that new condition about stays having to be
        within 60 days. My first stay was about 63 days after signuo and did not get the 2500. So I cancelled the second stay which was supposed toget 5000.

Would be interested to hear if Hilton snuck that condition in for everybody. Did anyone get their stays more than 60 days after registration credited?

• It was very clear up front, I don’t really know what you’re complaining about.

• There was no mention of 69 days in the original terms to whivh I sigbed up:

This offer is only valid and exclusive to the recipient of the email invitation, is not transferable and is one-time use only. To accept this stay challenge with Hilton Honors™ you must first register your Hilton Honors™ account number prior to completing stays within the promotional window. You must be a Hilton Honors™ member to participate or join Hilton Honors™ at the time of registering for the Promotion.

Offer valid for stays now through January 31, 2020 (“Promotion Period”) at any hotel or resort in the Hilton Portfolio. Hilton Honors™ members must first register prior to completing a stay within the Promotion Period. Registered Hilton Honors™ members will receive credit for stay challenge if any portion of the stay falls with the Promotion Period, regardless of a check-in date before the Promotion Period begins or a check-out date after the Promotion Period ends. Qualifying stays exclude any rates ineligible for Hilton Honors™ Points accrual, which include rates booked via select third parties. Stays subject to each hotel’s change and cancellation policy varies based on rate or package booked. Blackout dates, early departure fees, and deposit and cancellation restrictions may apply and vary by hotel. Please contact the individual hotel to confirm their policy. Unless otherwise noted, all offer components are non-transferrable or redeemable for cash. To book by phone within the U.S. or Canada, please call +1-800 HILTON HONORS™ (446-6677) or view Global Reservation phone numbers.

To be eligible for Multi-Stay Bonus offer from Hilton Honors™ you must 1) have received this offer directly from Hilton Honors™, 2) be enrolled in the Hilton Honors™ program, 3) register to participate or join Hilton Honors™ using the same e-mail address associated with promotional invitation, 4) complete the stay challenge within the promotional stay window. Registered Hilton Honors™ participants must complete stay challenge and complete up to two (2) paid stays during the Promotional Period to obtain Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points. The first stay within the Promotional Period will earn 2,500 bonus points. The second stay within the Promotional Period will earn 5,000 bonus points. If guest completes just (1) eligible stay, they will still receive 2,500 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points. Consecutive nights completed at a single hotel will be counted as a single stay, even if booked under multiple reservations.

• Lady London says:

Same hère BJ – @Crafty we did review the conditions when sugning up! 3 or 4 weeks later – probably after far more people signed up than they expected – Hilton sent an email that they framed as a confirmation, which was a bit suspicious that late so i checked it carefully. They had snuck in a new condition that stays had to be within 60 days. Originally there was a four month period with no mention of 60 days.

If that had been in the original sign up conditions then I could have moved my stays to be within 60 days. But by then it was too late. So I checked my account after the first stay, which I could no longer cancel, and the extra 2500 was not credited. So i cancelled my second stay.

I would think you probably signed up to a later set of terms than us, @Crafty.

• I expect to be denied these points like @LadyLondon. If so I’ll not be appealing it as I did not receive the said email. Too many reports if Hilton closing accounts if we complain too much.

• Spurs Debs says:

I received double up points and 2500 extra for a stay last week that was worth 21,438 points in total.
            I’m expecting next night to trigger bonus 5000.
            Do you get points on food, drink, spa spend?

4. Decided to give Harrogate Majestic the benefit of the doubt and rebooked for June next year. Hopefully plenty of time for them to make sure that they make the necessary improvements.

Like I say with the right attitude and management it has the potential to be a stunning hotel, paid £66 in the sale for a King Room, pretty good value with my Gold benefits getting me free breakfast.

5. Via Amex travel website, Hilton were doing a “stay 2 nights get 3rd free” when I checked the WA Chicago last week, for a stay next August. Still seems to work at the Conrad, but the WA now has no availability for 3 night stays!! Will phone Amex Plat to see if they can still source it for me. With the $100 credit etc, made a 3 night stay pretty good value.

6. I have asked for a status match both times and both times including recently I’m offered the gold and diamond status match but only till March 2020, why would I bust a gut in November 2019 to achieve status till March 2020. I have tried there customers services but they just tell me how important I am and how they will sort out the world and thanks for calling and enjoy my status till March 2020.

7. The status match is no longer working for me as an existing Gold – I’ve done it 2 or 3 times during autumn (always as an existing Gold) to have this extended by a year. But this September (when I was about to book a 5-night stay so the challenge would have been much easier) I was turned down: ” As a Hilton Honors Gold member, you are already enjoying all the great perks that come with elite status, and we will therefore not process your status match request.” and after pushback: “Regretfully, we are unable to provide fast track promotion as your Honors account is currently under Gold tier status which is valid up until March 31, 2020.” Last year I was also unsuccessful. Perhaps a change of rules around the same time as the challenge got tougher (at least in terms of nights)?

• fivebobbill says:

HayMow, I was actually wondering about this.
      I’ve been HH Gold via Amex Plat, but also by well over the required Hilton Visa spend, for over 6 years now. However, despite my increasing stays at Hilton properties lately (almost 20 nights this year), I’m never going to ever stay the 60 nights required in a year to reach Diamond.
      I may however, be prepared to push each year for the number of nights (how many is it?) to retain Diamond if I was ever able to initially reach it!
      As existing HH Gold, is it actually worth emailing them to ask for a challenge? (I only have mid tier elsewhere, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold etc). Or are you saying it HAS worked for you in the past, but now appears to have stopped?
      I do appreciate the free breakfast at Hilton, but am really getting fed up throwing money at them and getting nowhere, could be tempted to move stays elsewhere for an easier target…

• @ fivebobbill Yes I was saying it worked several times in the past but not the last 2 requests. (BUT, just realised: last year when I was turned down we instead got my husband matched and got Gold for him that way… YET somehow I still seem to be Gold to 3/20, with some very nice status recognition in Davos for example, and I didn’t even do the necessary challenge nights! Strange. … I just don’t have Gold to 3/21 as I wanted)
        — I’d *definitely* say you should give it a go (esp. as you’ve not done it before) – see the HfP article earlier this week at https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/11/19/hilton-buy-points-bonus/ for the instructions and link to HH status match request webpage. I have successfully matched to HH Gold from IHG Gold and I’d say Radisson Gold is worth more so you might get Diamond. You then need 18 nights in 90 days – if you fall short but meet 10 nights you’d retain Gold anyway, though think you keep that via your c.card from what you said). You have nothing to lose.
        — Tip on the screenshots for status proof – 1 showing status + 1 showing last stay/s – I tend to do them from my phone & convert to necessary format if needed BUT make sure they show your name &/or the same no. of points on both images – few years back when not matched 1st time I noticed I hadn’t done this, tried again as described & I was awarded the match that time.
        — I rarely do enough stays to qualify normally on any programme (except occasionally to IHG Gold via bonus points package stays) but by ‘recycling’ status I’ve kept IHG Gold and HH Gold for several years since discovering HfP and all the tips and tricks (& now Best Western Platinum) – use IHG to match to HH, then HH to match to IHG, repeat – latest iteration I got an easily done IHG challenge for 3 stays for Platinum (on basis of a HH stay/status a year prior) and got excellent recognition on all 3 of those stays.
        — Do report back on what happens! Also, chase HH if you don’t hear.

8. Hilton related

Outstanding service from Reading Hilton today. Although only a credit card silver they’ve decided to make me “Guest of the day”, giving an upgrade to the highest category room, free brekkie, free drinks voucher and 25% of bar / restaurant bill, the last of which I won’t use. Not bad haul and it’s a reward stay to boot. Can’t really understand the logic but not complaining, presumably the hotel is quiet tonight!

• Word of mouth, and they want you back too. You posted on here so that may pick up a few extra guests for them. Enjoy.

• True enough, I did 6 nights last year in Hiltons and none this year so I guess the Algorithm thinks I’ve been unfaithful to them and wants me back?!

I’ve tended to mainly use Hotels.com this year as our holiday involved lots of pensions only bookable that way.

9. laineyling says:

Two questions:
    1. I am still a HH Gold, which i think is a mistake, anyone know if there is a glitch with their IT? i believe my status should have expired last feb 2018
    2. we booked in the last sale (think around Oct) for feb half term 2019 (WA Palm), and rates in AED are cheaper this sale by around 20% vs what we paid. Anyone have any idea what tends to be the best time to book? we thought locking in earlier would be better, but perhaps winter sales tend to better, or is better to book ~<3ms from trip dates?

• 1. Hilton status expires 31st March for the full membership year after the membership year you qualify. Thus, if you qualify now it lasts until 31/3/21. Your membership vould have veen extended due to your spending on the Barclaycard, or requesting status via anex platinum while you were still gold. Or just a glitch as you say.
      2. Until recently I would have said two or three weeks before a sale. However, the last two or three sales have had genuinely good rates as you have just found. My recommendation is that you hold rooms with points or BFR as this allows you to track rates and book when you see a really good advance purchase rate. To get a handle on the latter you need to track rates regularly as many of us here do for our favoured destinations.

10. Any recommendations for a nice hotel for a weekend in York? IHG or Hilton preferably as I have mid tier status.

11. Just to confirm. This sale ends on the 28th of January 2020. Correct?