Hilton Honors extends its status match programme – keep your new hotel status to March 2022

Hilton Honors has just rolled over its status match programme for another year.

If you sign up and hit the qualifying requirements, you can guarantee Hilton Honors Gold or Hilton Honors Diamond status until March 2022!

It still remains a good offer, in my view, and something you should seriously consider at the right time.  The right time is when you know you can meet the qualifying requirements and would benefit from the guaranteed lounge access and decent upgrades that Diamond status brings.

I did this match myself in 2017 so I know how valuable it can be.  My Diamond status is still actually alive!  It was meant to expire in March 2019 but as a goodwill gesture it got rolled over as our spend in 2018 year was fairly high.  It was then meant to expire in March 2020 but has now been rolled over due to coronavirus.

How does the Hilton Honors status match work?

I will outline how the status match works below.  However, to summarise the changes:

irrespective of your current status, you receive Gold for a 90 day trial period after you sign up

to keep Gold or Diamond to March 2022 you need to hit a specific number of nights (note nights, not stays) during the 90 days

Hilton Diamond status match

How do I get a Hilton Honors status match?

Via this link, you can match your existing status with another hotel loyalty programme into Hilton Honors.  You must be at least ‘mid tier’ although Hilton will define at its discretion what counts from each particular scheme.

They definitely accept all of the major programmes shown in the dropdown menu on that page.  If you have status with a smaller scheme it may or may not be accepted.  I seem to remember that Wyndham Rewards is not accepted for some reason but don’t quote me on that.

The match rules are simple:

You will receive Hilton Honors Gold status for 90 days from the date of acceptance (usually 4-5 days after you email your request)

To keep Gold until March 2022, you need to complete 10 nights (cash, not reward) within the 90 days

To be upgraded to Diamond until March 2022, you need to complete 18 nights (cash, not reward) within the 90 days

As well as having status in another programme, you must also have evidence of a stay within the last 12 months with that programme.  If, for example, you have IHG Rewards Club Platinum status via the IHG Rewards Club Premium Mastercard, you would also need to show evidence of an IHG stay in order to be matched.

How do you get a Hilton Honors status match?

Is a Hilton Honors status match worth doing?

Potentially, yes.

You can see the full list of Gold and Diamond benefits on this page of the Hilton website.

Hilton Gold is generally seen as the best mid-tier hotel status because it gets you free breakfast.  You don’t get free breakfast with IHG Rewards Club even if you are a top tier Spire Elite member!

Hilton Diamond comes with guaranteed lounge access, where the hotel has a lounge.  Again, good luck with that as an IHG elite member.

Timing is key, of course.

Once you are accepted, you get the benefits of Gold status for 90 days.  This could save you a LOT of money on breakfast if you are heading to a Hilton property later this year.  You wouldn’t want to trigger the match now, however, given your likely lack of stays in the next 90 days.  Wait until you have a Hilton stay in the diary.

It is worth doing this even if you have no intention of completing the full challenge.  Free breakfast for a couple on a 3-night stay is likely to save close to £100.

If you are planning to do the full 10 or 18 nights in order to retain status until March 2022, you also need to be confident that you can squeeze them in.  18 nights in 90 days is not easy.

Hilton Gold status match

If you have specific hotels in mind, you should also research how they treat Gold or Diamond members.

Imagine you were planning to stay at Conrad New York next year for example.  The match is unlikely to benefit you much here:

Conrad New York has no executive lounge

American hotels in the Hilton chain tend not to offer good upgrades, because the country is awash with status members who receive it via the many Hilton credit cards

Even the basic rooms are suites (it is an all-suite hotel) so an upgrade isn’t even that important

You would get breakfast – breakfast is a la carte and you can choose from a small selection – but New York is not exactly short of options

In this scenario, you may prefer to trigger your status match another time when you know you will get better value.

You can request your Hilton Honors status match here.

PS.  Remember that free Hilton Honors Gold status is a benefit of the The Platinum Card from American Express.

You may want to get Amex Platinum for a few months (just long enough to trigger the 30,000 Amex Membership Rewards bonus points, worth 30,000 Avios) and trigger Hilton Gold that way.  If you later cancel your Platinum card, you should retain your Hilton status until March 2021 and possible even March 2022.

You will also receive status in Melia Rewards, Shangri-La Golden Circle, Marriott Bonvoy and Radisson Rewards.  My full review of American Express Platinum is here.

How is British Airways Avios reward flight availability for late 2020 and early 2021?
Is Flybe on its way back to the skies?!

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. gueswho2000 says:

HH Platinum should read Diamond surely

2. makrxx says:

Is this somewhere on the Hilton website? Can’t seem to find it. My Gold is due to expire on March 2021, and I can hit >10 nights within next 90 days. So would be nice to have it extended till March 2022.

• If you can hit 20 stays within the next 275 days it will also be extended to 2022

• makrxx says:

Based on the above, I need 10 nights within 90 days to hit Gold until March 2022?

• makrxx says:

Thanks Rob. Do you know when is this effective from? Been at Hilton for the past few nights.

• Peter K says:

@makrxx
            You need to apply for the status match and be accepted before it starts. It is not an automatic thing. There’s a link in the article.

• Lady London says:

@makrxx @Peter K maybe apply for the status match and get it confirmed before you check out? IIRC a stay has counted for other promotions at Hilton this way.

• makrxx says:

Thanks Peter. Right, so I have to status match from another program to get an extension on my existing Gold. Don’t currently have any loyalty from any other program unfortunately (had Caesar’s Diamond but that expired 31/12/2019).

3. southlondonphil says:

Status matched in February as I had 3 overnights in the UK and 5 nights in Dubrovnik lined up and could easily put a couple more cheap mattress runs in. Then that all wen’t to crap because of Covid-19, Dubrovnik cancelled due to travel embargo and my local Hampton Inn closed for the duration and no realistic chance to complete the challenge 🙁

I’ve had the standard email from Hilton extending status to March 2022, but I’ve also read comment on Flyertalk an elsewhere that ‘challengers’ WON’T benefit from Hilton’s largesse, so not sure what the position is really. Guess it will become apparent in May when my 90 day challenge window closes.

Hey Ho, such is life!

• panka says:

I have the same situation, I have been status matched in Feb, but all my travels have been cancelled. Let’s see what May brings.

4. Few comments on FT that Hilton have been leading the pack on their CV19 response.

Inclined to agree, definitely won’t forget their willingness to help.

• Pangolin says:

Same here, Marriott has been incredibly tone deaf in their handling of this, displaying a wilful disregard of how their removal of soft landing be perceived. Many elites got double downgrades just at the same time half the planet went into lockdown.

Marriott was always my Plan A, with Hilton my Plan B (I’m only 3 years away from Lifetime Platinum in Bonvoy) but now I am totally done with Marriott and have cancelled all the bookings I had for H2 2020.

5. Blenz101 says:

I guess it is safe to assume that hotels would need to be booked direct?

My thought was to convert some Tesco vouchers to Hotels.com as don’t want to risk converting them to airline miles at present. Would be great to bring down the cash cost of the room and bag the status for when things get back to normal.

• mr_jetlag says:

has to be direct. fwiw Hotels.com also have a status programme, but I haven’t heard anything about extensions yet.

• Blenz101 says:

Thanks. And, yes, familiar with Hotels.com programme. You can’t participate in that though if you use Tesco vouchers towards the cost of the booking so can’t gain any nights that way.

In terms of extensions on the Hotels.com programme they have emailed to say “We know our Silver and Gold members’ travel plans may have been affected and this may impact their membership status upon renewal. Therefore, if your renewal date is between 1st Feb – 31st May 2020, we will extend your membership status for a further year. It’s one less thing for you to worry about.”

The benefits of status don’t really amount to much but the ‘hassle free guarantee’ available at Silver and Gold generally means you can make changes to a non-flexible booking in my experience although you could never been 100% certain this will be offered.

• Genghis says:

I’d just keep the Tesco vouchers until you actually need the points for something. Tesco isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

• Secret Squirrel says:

When did they stop allowing using points for stays as being qualifying? I used to use this route to mattress run for status.

• mr_jetlag says:

+1 – Tesco and Amex points far more valuable than any travel programme now.

• Lady London says:

@Genghis do you think Tesco could break the link with avios though?

• Genghis says:

Assuming AGL keep paying them, why would they?

• I had to go to PayPal to get my fully refundable hotel stays refunded when this all kicked off. So I wouldn’t be putting my money there myself.

• Lady London says:

Got a feeling bookings with Tesco vouchers don’t count for status benefits or accrual anywhere

6. Rob you say “now, of course, is NOT “the right time” unless you have a very cheap hotel near you which can be used for mattress runs – I’m sure they’d appreciate the cash. – I thought are hotels were closed down by the Govt last week ?

• Not hotels, just their bars, restaurants etc

• No. A lot have voluntarily closed but not all.

• Genghis says:

It’s just guidance isn’t it?

Just like the law says that you’re permitted to “exercise” but it’s guidance about not driving to then do your exercise. The police in some places seem to be holding people to the guidance and not the law.

• Genghis says:

Like the FCA handbook has requirements and guidance but then holds everyone to accountable to the “guidance”.

• Similarly no legal reason for golf courses to be closed, so long as you play in 2-balls

• People can play semantics about what exactly is permitted and what is just “guidance” but you know full well that everybody needs to avoid unnecessary social contact, end of.

• Mike P says:

Exactly! This is what happens when people’s lust for status / points becomes all consuming. it doesn’t get much lower than doing mattress runs during a nationwide emergency. Encouraging such behaviour at this time, for shame Rob!

• Mike P says:

From Gov.uk

1. Businesses and venues that must remain closed

Hotels, hostels, B&Bs, holiday rentals, campsites and boarding houses for commercial use Where people live in these as interim abodes whilst their primary residence is unavailable, or they live in them in permanently they may continue to do so.

Critical workers and non-UK residents who are unable to travel to their country of residence during this period can continue to stay in hotels or similar where required.

People who are unable to move into a new home due to the current restrictions can also stay at hotels.

Where hotels, hostels, and B&Bs are providing rooms to support homeless and other vulnerable people such as those who cannot safely stay in their home, through arrangements with local authorities and other public bodies, they may remain open.

Those attending a funeral will be able to use hotels when returning home would be impractical.
          ===============================================

I don’t see any exception for people doing ‘mattress runs’.

• Genghis says:

With in rather big letters “Guidance” at the top of the page? Hence it’s not law, it’s what the government says you should do. I could say that you “must” do something, but it doesn’t mean to say that you have to do it.

(Note I’m staying at home and I am following the law and the guidance, it’s just interesting how it’s been structured).

• Lots of things are guidance and not technically illegal to the letter of the law, but no decent person would condone them. Playing around with semantics at a time like this to justify a potential mattress run is shameful but I’m glad you’re staying at home and keeping yourself and others safe.

• Section 5 of the same “Guidance”:

“As of 1pm on 26 March 2020 new Regulations extending the restrictions are now enforceable by law in England due to the threat to public health. These supersede Regulations that came into force at 2pm on 21 March 2020…Where an owner, proprietor or manager carrying out a business (or a person responsible for other premises) contravenes the Regulations, that person commits an offence.”

I trust Rob and team on a lot of things but I do question their knowledge of the law and common sense when it come to a points opportunity.

• Hilton Bankside and DoubleTree Marble Arch were both taking bookings for tonight when I checked.

• Genghis says:

I was just checking the detail after my post. Indeed, hotels must be closed per the Statutory Instrument. Apologies for the misinformation.

• Mike P says:

Gov.UK

Hotels and other accommodation providers should be able to remain open if:
            They are part of the response to support key workers or vulnerable groups.

7. Mike P says:

“Now, of course, is NOT “the right time” unless you have a very cheap hotel near you which can be used for mattress runs – I’m sure they’d appreciate the cash.”

Irresponsible garbage, NO-ONE should be considering a mattress run during a nationwide lockdown.

• You know that Hilton has hotels all over the world, not just in the UK, right?

• Mike P says:

• TGLoyalty says:

You know that isn’t the case there are people all over the world still and they’ve been posting about it eg Thailand etc

• Mike P says:

Most of Thailand is in lockdown, so I’m not a mattress run will be high on anyone’s priorities, except those who have completely lost the plot.

• ‘You do know the vast majority of this site are UK readers, almost none of whom will be abroad, right?’

No, and neither do you, the stats are not made public and many people read the articles via email anyway.

• R P McMurphy says:

The stats don’t need to be made public, there are plenty of tools on the net that provide an accurate enough demographic for any site. As for the emails, I’m sure if you look hard enough you can find an African somewhere on his tablet, frantically searching for his next mattress run before the virus takes hold. Or more likely some desperados in London who think the rules don’t apply to them, and would blow a tramp for a free breakfast at the Rangali. ..

• “R P McMurphy”

Feel free to post a link to any such tools,

For someone posting to a travel site you seem to be remarkably xenophobic.

• The stats are public actually – Alexa has them.

• R P McMurphy says:

I don’t do requests. Google is your friend. While you’re looking though, perhaps you’d like to have a quick glance at the map of covid19 spread, and point out how Xenophobic the virus is.

8. I’m on a status match at HH atm (Gold) for 3 months. Do you guys think they will extend my tier as per their Comms the other day for ‘regular’ tier holders?