Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways drops Isle of Man flights from London City Airport

London City Airport reopened last night, with the first flight being the British Airways service to the Isle of Man.

Here is a shot of the aircraft arriving:

London City Airport reopens

It is ironic that it emerged yesterday that British Airways appears to be dropping the Isle of Man route on Sunday 13th September.  No flights are available for purchase beyond this date.

This was an odd service.  Since 2018 it has been operated by Scottish airline Loganair on behalf of British Airways, using a 50-seat Saab aircraft.

British Airways dropping Isle of Man

This might not be the end.  Since Flybe went into receivership, Loganair has picked up two other Isle of Man routes – to Manchester and to Liverpool – on top of its existing Edinburgh service.  It is possible that it will continue a London route under its own branding.

If the route is proving financially unviable, we may also see Tynwald (the Manx legislature) stepping in to underwrite a London service.

Comments (53)

• johnnt5a says:

A few years ago I used MAN, they security were on work to rule as they were working very slowly. I could hear people complaining to security, chap just replied, don’t blame me blame him, pointing to what looked like a supervisor.

• ian_h says:

I know everyone’s perception is their own reality but last year alone I flew into and out of MAN over 20 times and can honestly say I haven’t encountered any unpleasant security staff, they have been friendly and polite to a fault. My flights have been out of T1 mainly and the massive new T2 extension and eventual closure of T1 will no doubt improve the overall experience but staff wise I can only speak as I find.

• Kip says:

That’s largely my experience. You do get the occasional little Hitler on security but most are polite and the queueing is usually no worse than other airports. I think the problem at MAN is that you have to ‘know’ what to do – where to park, the drop-off rules, how to get to the station etc. Once you’re familiar with the setup it’s fine.

• Anna says:

How is parking and drop off connected to the security experience? I’ve never had any issues with the first two but in 4 decades of flying I have more than my fair share of anecdotes about surly, obstructive and petty security staff.

• Kip says:

They’re not. It was a general comment about the airport. Security is a minor aspect of travelling. The whole airport experience is likely to have more of an impact about whether choose to return to MAN.

• RussellH says:

I would totally disagree that security is a minor aspect of travelling. If flying, it is effectively where the journey starts, and for me, it is a very in-your-face reminder of why rail travel is so much more pleasant than flying.
            Some years ago I flew out LHR – CGN, but returned to the UK from Aachen by train. During the course of the trip I had collected two umbrellas (presents from tourist boards) and bought a second bag to put other goodies – mainly Aacher Printen – in. At Btuxelles Midi I went to the supermarket to get some Belgian goodies, so ended up going through Eurostar security with one largeish and one small case, two umbrellas and a carrier bag full of supermarket purchases.
            The response from the security staff was a big 🙂
            The complete opposite of what would have happened at an airport. I have not been through MAN since 2016, but security was rude then, making up new rules as to what was supposed to be in the see-through bag.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Should people start attempting to blow up lots of trains you might find security increases. Until then it is hardly a fair comparison. I don’t think any airport or airline imposes such measures for the fun of it.

• Diydegsy says:

Hi just made a booking through Manchester airport security for flight to faro and looks like the fast track paid for is still in place so this must be a different queue. When you click on the site you can book the free 15min slot which means you need to be there within that time or fast track which means you can use that lane within a 2 hour time slot which would also be the case for business class tickets. Let’s hope it runs smooth!!!

• Harry T says:

Anyone use Hunters for car parking at MAN? Not been to MAN before but Hunters were cheap and reviews seem positive.

• Stagger Lee says:

I’ve never used them but I would never ever use a company that keeps hold of your keys. I know the horror stories are probably rare but I just don’t want to take the risk.

• Eppleby Green says:

I have used them. Got brilliant service and got dropped off almost in the terminal which was probably better than Meet and Greet. They picked us up immediately that we exited the terminal on return and we were driving out of their depot within 15 minutes.

• old bob says:

I’ve been to the Isle of Man, a very strange place. They are prepared to fight anyone at the drop of a hat

• Michael C says:

That’s a bit of a generalisation: I wouldn’t say “anyone”.
      It’s usually just annoying GB people.

• Peter K says:

Not sure where you’ve been when visiting as I’ve holidayed there several times and everyone has always been lovely.

• Baji Nahid says:

same in spain eh? 😉

• Baji Nahid says:

Edi is just like manchester but more people and tiny space than manchester.