Get 25% off UK Accor hotels for NHS staff (Novotel, Ibis, Sofitel, Mercure, MGallery etc)

Accor, which runs the Ibis, Novotel, Mercure, Sofitel etc hotel brands, is offering a discount of up to 25% on many UK hotels to NHS staff.

The offers runs until 31st December.

There are very few conditions, except that NHS ID must be shown at check-in.  All rooms are cancellable.  I would assume that you also earn Accor Live Limitless points as usual.

The deals appear to be ‘genuine’ although not always at 25%.  For example, Novotel London Blackfriars (we reviewed Novotel London Blackfriars here) is £242 for a two-night stay from 11th-13th September under this offer.  You can also book higher room categories, such as a suite for £361 for two nights.

Switch off the NHS discount and the price jumps to £268 for a standard room and £420 for the suite.  This clearly isn’t 25% off, but it is a saving.

You MUST book via this special page of the Accor website to see the NHS rates.

High Life British Airways magazine

Have we seen the end of High Life magazine?

It seems like one of the casualties of coronavirus may be the British Airways High Life in-flight magazine, at least for now.

Editor Andy Morris tweeted yesterday that he had been made redundant, although he later clarified this to say that Cedar still had a contract with British Airways.  I imagine that it will reappear although not for a while.

Should any reader still want matchmaking guidance from Irene Valenti, you can find her website here ……

HMRC changes its rules for tax payments by business debit card
'My Favourite Hotel' review - The Peninsula, Tokyo

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. KBuffett says:

Aren’t all Curve cards business? At least they were when I signed up when they first launched.

2. johnnt5a says:

My Curve blue was personal but when I upgraded to metal, as i’ve just discovered it is a business…

3. Qwertyknowsbest says:

Me too.

Confirmed will change within the hour. Excellent service.

• Pat the Postie says:

How does this work, will you get a new metal card that is personal or are you just cancelling the metal card?

4. My Curve Blue says “Commercial”.

• Ralph says:

Mine too, and “Beta” haha. It’s also actually dog-eared

• Matt H says:

Whereabouts, please?

I remember there was something around 12 – 18 months ago of asking for a re-issue on the Curve card because there was some benefit to it being either personal/business but I can’t remember what this was. Anyone else remember?

5. DB2020 says:

The piece on High Life reminded me to download the electronic versions of the magazine. It looks like they have not published any issues after March 2020, understandably. My last flight was in February 2020.

I, for one, will miss John Simpson’s regular column. Those were my favourite issue after issue. His knowledge, his prose and the way he brought a story full circle have never been matched by any other airline in flight magazines.

6. Paul Watkins says:

Hi , re the new debit card legislation: does the Tesco debit card give you clubcard points?

• With HMRC, yes, because it is not classed as a financial institution.

• Graham says:

Yes, definitely gives Clubcard points at 1/£8. I’m been using it on and off for years, with little breaks for Curve and Capital on Tap.

7. John-Paul says:

Hey Everyone

I love looking for a deal and you cannot beat a great discount code for a hotel stay. But this is a code designed for key workers from the NHS who deserve a decent reward for their hard work.

Anyone who thinks it is appropriate to use this for a cheap stay when they have nothing to do with the NHS, is just a cheapo cheat and I would emplore the poster to remove this.

#disgusted

• An NHS id must be shown at check-in, so it’s fairly difficult to abuse this promotion!

• Lady London says:

plus interestingly a lot of NHS staff who use it probably work in roles that have nothing whatsoever to do with Covid.

I dont begrudge them the discount, even though working for the NHS does not make someone a saint.

It’s just segmented discounting and right now offering it to NHS staff is a very socially accepted way to offer a 25% discount without this lowering of prices devaluing the product.

I have no doubt that so long as business remains slow, as soon as hotels can identify other segments they can offer discounts to they will be doing so.