American Airlines moving its flights to London Heathrow Terminal 5

American Airlines will be moving all of its London Heathrow flights into BA’s Terminal 5 from tomorrow, Tuesday.

‘All’ isn’t much at the moment, of course.  American is only operating four flights – one per day to Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW), New York JFK, Chicago O’Hare and Miami.

Check-in will be in Zone C, except for Flagship First customers who can use the First Wing.  The dedicated security lane in the First Wing is currently closed, however, so if there are no queues it is a bit of a waste of time heading down there.

Lounge access is available as per standard oneworld rules.

Finnair is also due to move to Terminal 5 in the next couple of weeks.

Avis offering long-term UK car rentals - with 2,500 Avios on top!
ONE WEEK LEFT: Get 15,000 points (=15,000 Avios) sign-up bonus with Capital On Tap's Visa SME credit card!

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. Will in SFO says:

The American move is permanent though rather than temporary until T3 opens as I had first assumed. OMAAT had it confirmed by American press team apparently.

• Andrew says:

What a shame, I used to fly AA to New York so I could enjoy the myriad lounges at T3. Let’s hope they open an AA Flagship First lounge – anything has got to be better than Galleries First.

• I wonder if they could make use of the currently empty lounge space in T5C, since all their flights are longhaul.

• Voldemort says:

Apparently they’ve set up the AA gates at T5B so that might not be convenient.

• Not right now, but I imagine we might see changes in the coming months if AA really are there to stay.

• ChrisC says:

It’s important to realise that it’s an empty space not an empty lounge space

It is basically a shell space waiting for whatever purpose HAL want to put it to use as – lounge or shops or whatever and it will take sometime to turn it into a lounge with proper lights, electrics, toilets and catering facilities etc etc etc

It’s not a ready to go space that AA can move into overnight like BA did with the VS lounge when there were issues with the new BA lounge at LGW

2. Has Avis said anything about extending their Preferred status levels? They seem an outlier compared to other rental firms that have announced this already.

• They’re double-counting your spend at the moment, so you’ll reach Preferred Plus or Presidents Circle quicker.

• Thanks for that, I didn’t know. Was there an announcement?

• It was on the website but I can’t find it right now. It was definitely ‘spend counts double’ between certain dates rather than ‘target spend halved’. In the back of my head istr it was for bookings made by the end of Sept for collection by the end of the year, but I could have that wrong as I can’t find the details now. Sorry

3. Andrew says:

BA website says the First Wing reopened on 4 July, which presumably means the security lane too.

4. The Lord says:

Any tips on cheap car hire in central London or is it just best to head out to Heathrow for the better deals?

• Tom H says:

+1 I ve read Charliefaces great Hertz article, and even trying us and aus sites for a week in the uk in August it’s pretty pricey for a large estate. Avis seems reasonable priced but does any one have a good code for them aswell?

• Try something local – sometimes cheaper than the big brands. I’ve used Kendall Cars in south London several times. Not fancy cars but excellently priced (especially for me given that Hertz etc all charge a ‘young driver surcharge’!)

• One of the few benefits of being over 25 😂 No surcharge

• Can’t wait, although that also means I age out of cheap theatre tickets in London which I’m not looking forward to….

• Try Virtuo or Zipcar.

• Charlieface says:

Avis key worker offer is very good. If you’re not a key worker I’ll leave that to your imagination…

5. The Lego sale reminds me of the gold old days getting lots of Avios from Tesco 😩

• Sussex Bantam says:

I had my eye on the Boba Fett helmet which has been reduced from 54.99 to 54.97….

6. Have been hiring for the last five weeks, waiting in vain for a juicy promo!

Due to hand one back today but I don’t have anything booked as the price has jumped from <£70pw to £175

7. I need a car later this week. Enterprise is the only major within 20 miles of me & their prices haven’t budged at all.

8. Dezbez says:

AA’s move reminded me of the HFP article from the beginning of the year predicting this, as well as a number of other things. (The start of this year seems a very long time ago….)

9. marcw says:

Something similar is happening with IB and Air Europa. Air Europa usually operated from T1 at Madrid Airport. T1 was closed for a couple of months, and all flights arr/dep from T4 (IB terminal). Now T1 is open again, but Air Europa is staying in T4. I guess it’s indicative of something…

10. Michael C says:

Is it still worth booking through BA Exec for the additional driver benefit? BA is a bit pricier (£30) but saves on the additional driver charge especially on a longer booking.

• Peter says:

Book through the Avis website using the Ba Exec AWD. Sometimes (rather often) the prices are jacked up when booking through the BA website.

• Michael C says:

Sorry I don’t follow. There seems to be a multitude of ways to book Avis/BA in combination! Should I sign up for Avis Preferred? AvisBa.com seems to be charging me for an additional driver.

• Prins Polo says:

Do you still get Avios when booking through the Avis website and adding BA AWD and BA Exec Club number? Asking just out of curiosity – the savings may of course outweigh the meager Avios earnings anyway.

11. james says:

I don’t see any link in your article about Avis, only “You can find out more .”

Also don’t see this offer on avis.co.uk

• Have you got adblock on? There is a link in the article. Best to whitelist HFP.