Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: £5 Uber code not working?, Virgin boosts Manchester – Barbados, new Pret in Heathrow T2

News in brief:

£5 Uber code not working?

Last weekend we published a code, publicly showing on Uber’s Facebook page, offering £5 off your next two rides.

There were no issues with registering and the offer showed (and still shows) in your Uber account as active. The code was disabled for new registrants on Monday, however.

I’ve had a few emails from readers this week saying that the £5 code is not triggering. It isn’t clear why – is there a secret minimum spend? Has Uber made an IT error? Did they pull the code after it was circulated more widely than expected? One reader was told that it had reached the target number of uses.

Whatever the answer, I do not recommend taking an Uber trip purely because you have a £5 coupon showing. If you are taking a trip anyway and the code works, great, but do not go out of your way to use Uber until we have some clarity.

Virgin Atlantic adds more Manchester to Barbados flights

Virgin Atlantic boosts services from Manchester to Barbados

Following our piece the other day about Virgin Atlantic putting a new A350 – with the new Upper Class Suite – on the Heathrow to Barbados route from December, there is more news.

Manchester to Bridgetown will increase to four weekly flights from 23rd December, and to five weekly flights from 5th January.

Remember that you do not need to quarantine on your return from Barbados, and at present there are no restrictions on entry as long as you arrive with a negative covid test.

If you do not want to pay for a test in the UK, you can take a free test on arrival as long as you stay at participating hotels and do not mix with others for 24 hours.

The Barbados hotel deal I mentioned on Thursday still seems to be available (EDIT: Now SOLD OUT, sorry.) Travelzoo has a very strong offer for the Fairmont Royal Pavilion – see here, and there is a picture above. You save over 50% and suites are included. I stayed here about 15 years ago and it is on a lovely stretch of beach. The voucher is fully refundable if you end up not going. Click here to learn more.

PS. Virgin Atlantic is also boosting services from Heathrow to Montego Bay in Jamaica. From 23rd December, flights will increase from three to five per week. The route uses a Boeing 787-9, so you will get a new aircraft but with the old style Upper Class seat.

New Pret A Manger in London Heathrow Terminal 2

Large new Pret opens in Heathrow Terminal 2

If you are flying through Heathrow Terminal 2 soon – and this includes Virgin Atlantic passengers for the time being – you can now get a snack at a large new branch of Pret which opened this week.

I can’t tell from the picture exactly where it is. It could have taken over the John Lewis unit which was being closed down.

I am in Terminal 2 on Tuesday so I will take a look.

Comments (74)

• Keith says:

Weirdly looking at my Uber app, it now says “£5 up to £0”. Wonder if this is them trying to withdraw the offer?

• Yaron says:

When I raised the issue of the promotion with Uber support, I also argued the promotion should not remain on app if no longer valid. This morning I was asked to rate the response , I replied unsatisfactory and asked for promo to be removed from my app. Uber support replies that “due to technical glitch the promotion is still showing for some users…”. I say “enough said” and closed the ticket with “not happy with outcome”

• Matt says:

Same here regards Uber.

Offer shows up in the app everywhere yet no £5 is deducted. CS say that “the offer has ran out”. Ridiculous.

£5 is such an annoying amount as they know most of us will chalk it up as a lost cause.

Really underhand though.

• Lady London says:

If number of uses was capped this is not valid unless they put it in ts and cs upfront

• Yaron says:

Hi Lady London, see my comment to Keith’s . Uber says max usage cap was on T&C (though I couldn’t open T&C on app!) and when I asked why the promo was still showing (I entered promo on Monday , booked ride on Thursday) they’re saying a technical glitch is preventing them from removing it from users’ app (can’t attach screenshots here). I posted reply on twitter

• Nic says:

Offer code UKSEP10 appeared on my Uber app a couple of days ago. It gives up to £7 off the next ten rides for personal accounts only, not business. See if that helps.

• Lady London says:

I signed up and no T’s and C’s were shown. If you can sign up without even being made aware of any ts and cs applying then they’re not valid and cant be brought in to apply later.

Uber might assume people will write off £5 but given the number of £5 promises that will be broken by Uber that’s indeed the reason not to spend any more time on it and just.filw an MCOL claim for your 2 journeys. Uber will end up paying each person they.deny £5 to, £35 for this and it will get boring for them quickly.

Maybe next time Uber will actually put some terms and conditions on a promotion instead of trying to add them later.

• JohnT says:

Just had an Uber trip successfully applying the £5 discount.

• Adam says:

I’ve likewise just had a refund of £5 from Uber, unprompted. Here’s the message: “ Whoops, our promotional code didn’t apply the first time! Here is your updated trip receipt, your refund is being processed. Thanks for riding with Uber!”

• Ron says:

Same here, it literally just came through. I’d be interested if only people that complained got it though.

• Adam says:

I didn’t complain in the end and it seems to have gone through – I went through the automated process and gave up before speaking to a real person. A result nonetheless

• Coogan says:

I’ve also just had my two trips Uber trips refunded with an email “Whoops, our promotional code didn’t apply the first time!”. FYI I didn’t contact Uber whatsoever.

• @mkcol says:

Likewise, have just posted about it on the chat thread too.
    I had made a complaint.