Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Don’t waste Avios on Club Europe business class redemptions from London City Airport

If you are a newcomer to the world of Avios, I generally recommend that you try Club Europe business class on short-haul redemptions from Heathrow or Gatwick.

I know that this view is not universally shared!

Club Europe British Airways

But, if you aren’t used to premium class travel, it opens your eyes to what you are missing.  For an extra 4,500 Avios – assuming you are flying to a country near the UK like Germany, the Netherlands or France – you would get:

Lounge access (I am very positive about the BA Heathrow lounges, unlike some people, and the new Gatwick lounges – if they ever reopen – are universally liked)

Dedicated check-in desks if you have luggage

Fast track security

Priority boarding

Seat at the front of the plane – and therefore also the first off, which speeds up immigration

Empty middle seat

Extra baggage allowance

Some food (once the current cardboard boxes are replaced with the normal offering, which shouldn’t be too long now) and premium drinks including all the champagne you can drink

I think that is EASILY worth an extra 4,500 Avios and £7.50 of tax on the outbound flight, especially if you don’t have British Airways status.  Coming back, it might not be such a good deal – you may or may not get fast track security and you may or may not find the lounge is good.  Outbound, though, I definitely recommend it.

Except …. if you are flying from London City.

I originally wrote this article in response to an email from a reader who had spent his Avios on Club Europe from London City on a flight to Spain.  Because Spain is further from London, the Club Europe premium is higher – 30,000 Avios per person return versus 15,000 Avios for Euro Traveller.

British Airways Embraer 190 London City

This is what you DON’T get if you redeem for Club Europe from London City:

A lounge – City Airport has no lounges, unless you pay £95 for the ‘be driven to your plane’ First Class lounge (which is very cool)

An empty middle seat – the Embraer 190 aircraft, as pictured above, have 2 x 2 seating

Priority boarding – it exists in theory, but the high percentage of status card holders flying out of City means that virtually every passenger on peak business routes qualifies for it anyway!

You DO get to sit at the front and you DO get better food, when a normal food service is operating.  The food is by far the best part of the London City British Airways experience.  As I wrote in this review, it is substantially better than what you get out of Heathrow, because there is no other point of difference between the two travel classes.  On the other hand, Economy passengers still get free snacks and free drinks out of London City.

The potential reason to redeem for Club Europe, if you don’t have unlimited Avios to spend, is if you need the additional Club Europe baggage allowance.

So, in summary – I do recommend that you redeem in Club Europe for short haul redemptions if you can, especially outbound and especially if you don’t have BA status.

Just don’t do it from London City …. unless there are no other seats available or you have a lot of luggage.

Comments (38)

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

In normal times I disagree. As you say the catering on the LCY routes is normally much nicer than the mainline routes (although currently that’s not the case) and so for me that makes it worth it. The lack of lounge at LCY is really the only thing that’s bad (in normal times) but people choose LCY for the location not the facilities. If you have a route served by multiple airports you can always fly out of LHR or LGW and back into LCY if it’s convenient for you.

On board unfortunately no WiFi, but the seat pitch is better, the seat width is better. Combined with the better catering (in normal times) I’d say it’s a better experience even if someone else is sat next to you.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Ref the lounge – I’ll take a pret over most lounges anyway and LCY has plenty of seating with power, so it’s all good IMO

• twoclicks says:

I must say I disagree with this. If you travel very frequently you should choose based on convenience and if you live in East / Southeast London then why would you choose Heathrow if you could do LCY?
    No free middle seat – no problem, the seats are more comfortable anyway. In normal times, food is superior.
    Oh… and 20 min check in when you’re so busy you don’t need a lounge anyway.
    I agree with some re. boarding: get on first. Plenty of economy pax leave their luggage in club and wander down the back — get in first, put your hand luggage away then relax / work / whatever before the flight!

• mr_jetlag says:

The best use of LCY CE is when being offered last minute upgrades from Y work travel. I often got a chance to pick up tier points at around £2 or less.

• Lady London says:

Euuuughhghghgh !!
    Was that enough to restrain you from sending the pics to the Daily Mail ?

• Lady London says:

*above for TGLoyalty. The new site seems to lose the link to what is being replied to, very easily

• TGLoyalty says:

Daily Mail isn’t really my thing but 10k was enough as it was a c10% discount on what my return flight cost.

Basically it was a superficial cleaning job and the salt/pepper sachets and chocolate unveiled themselves when I moved the seat forward. I’ve flown BA enough time to know I need to bring my own wipes so I cleaned it up and enjoyed the flight.

• Peter says:

It may still be worthwhile paying for Club Europe from LCY for the increased number of tier points – 40 vs 5, if I remember correctly from the last time I flew from LCY to EDI several years ago. They mount up if you make that journey frequently, for relatively little extra spend.

• Richard says:

Rob, absolutely spot on. The Embraer planes from LCY are more spacious in both classes, so it’s definitely the way to go. The only thing that has been a problem for me was when BA was using another airline instead of City Jet (I was enroute DUS), on-board service wasn’t so good but I expect that was a temporary switch.

• Nigel Williams says:

City Airport operates in the middle of a residential area. The booming Embraer aircraft arriving & departing pre-lockdown is a noise nuisance of the highest order for thousands of families who live here. Expansion underway for this site is a disgrace and another example of profit before people. Before anyone worries about the ongoing availability of free snacks, consider the daily and ongoing impact this site is having on others.