An interesting game of chicken is now brewing amongst the major hotel programmes. Some are slashing the number of nights you need to earn elite status, whilst other are holding out.
This is where we are so far:
- Hilton – you can earn or renew status in 2021 with HALF of the usual number of nights or stays, plus Hilton is carrying over all of the nights (but not stays) you earned in 2020.
- Hyatt – you can earn or renew status in 2021 with HALF of the usual number of nights, plus you will earn double night credits on stays until 28th February. This effectively means you can earn status for a QUARTER of the usual nights as long as you do them all by 28th February.
- IHG, Marriott, Radisson – no announcement
Accor Live Limitless came out with its own, aggressive, offer yesterday. This is what will happen:
- All status points and status nights earned since 1st July 2020 will be carried over into your 2021 membership year (this is not new news)
- Each status point and status night you earn in 2021 is DOUBLED – this effectively HALVES the amount of points or nights you need for status
The new reduced levels will be:
- Silver (welcome drink) – spend €400 or stay 5 nights
- Gold (upgrade if available, early check-in or late check-out) – spend €1,400 or stay 15 nights
- Platinum (executive lounge access plus a suite upgrade voucher) – spend €2,800 or stay 30 nights
- Diamond (free weekend breakfast, 4 x €25 food vouchers) – spend €5,200 (no nights option)
For clarity, the numbers above are AFTER the 50% reduction. The target for Platinum is still 60 nights, for example, but you can achieve it in 2021 by doing 30 nights and earning two credits for each.
Accor status benefits have always been poor, as you can see above. Only IHG Rewards Club is worse. Even with the night requirements reduced by half, there is no value in any sort of mattress run here.
That said, you may find that – due to the carry over of nights from H2 2020 – you start 2021 relatively close to Silver or Gold status anyway. If this is you, you may decide that it is worth guaranteeing a few nights to Accor over the course of next year.
This information is not yet on the Accor website although many members received an email yesterday. There is nothing I can link to which has more information, unfortunately.
Accor Live Limitless update – October 2021:
Earn bonus Accor points: You can earn 6,000 bonus Accor Live Limitless points with the current global promotion, which runs from 23rd September to 31st December 2021. You must book by 4th November 2021. Full details are in this article and you can register here.
New to Accor Live Limitless? Read our overview of Accor Live Limitless here and our article on points expiry rules here. Our analysis of what Accor Live Limitless points are worth is here.
Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from Accor and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.