Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: win 1 million Virgin Points, 1000 free Aegean miles, last call for 75% bonus buying IHG points

News in brief:

Win 1 million Virgin Red points

Virgin Red has launched a new ‘daily win’ game via the Virgin Red app with a top prize of 1,000,000 Virgin Red points.

There are also 100 instant win prizes to be picked up each day, offering between 200 and 5,000 Virgin Points.

Each daily entry gets you one entry into the grand draw at the end of the two weeks, when one player will win the jackpot. Just think of the number of Gregg’s sausage rolls you could get ……

To enter, open the Virgin Red app and head to the ‘Earn Points’ tab. The competition should be the first item you see.

You are directed away from the Virgin Red app onto a third party website to spin the prize wheel, which is a bit clunky.

Let us know if you pick up a prize, and remember to play each day.

1,000 very useful Aegean Miles+Bonus miles

If you are a member of the Aegean Miles+Bonus programme, you should have received an email yesterday offering you a ‘special gift’ for logging in to the website by tonight.

If you opted out of Aegean email marketing, you won’t have heard about this.

You will receive 1,000 miles when you log in to your account and click a special button – see the image below.

A lot of readers will have 5,000 Miles+Bonus miles from their promotion last year. Once you credit a Star Alliance flight segment to your account, these can be transferred to Accor Live Limitless at 4:1 and then potentially on to Avios at 1:1.

Because Aegean transfers to Accor must be done in chunks of 2,000 miles, the 1,000 free miles you can earn here are very useful. Your existing 5,000 miles become 6,000 miles, which is a ‘multiple of 2,000’ for the purposes of transferring out.

Now all you need is to credit that one Star Alliance sector ……

Last call for 75% bonus buying IHG points

IHG Rewards is currently running a 75% bonus for buying points. The offer ends on Thursday.

The link to buy is here.

We saw numerous offers of a 100% bonus during 2020, so I wouldn’t buy speculatively at this price. If you are looking to make a cash booking at the moment, however, it is worth looking at whether buying points for a redemption stay is cheaper.

Comments (49)

• Beardless Hipster says:

Not everyone gets 1000 Aegean miles. I received a €20 voucher for my next flight booking valid until 31 March 21. The flight needs to be priced in euros so UK departures are excluded. I’d much rather have 1000 miles.

• Phillip says:

Out of the 8 M&M accounts I manage, 7 had 1000 bonus miles but 1 (mine) had the €20 off! I guess it could be useful for a domestic hop or on a OW ATH-LHR.

• Thomas O'Brien says:

1000 Aegean miles for me, but nothing on the Virgin spin.

• Alan says:

Ditto. Miles were handy though as that’s me up over 2k again so can initiate an ALL transfer later in the year 👍

• Olly says:

Anyone else having difficulties logging into the Virgin Red app (for the first time)?

Seems to take me out of the app to another page where my keyboard only partially displays

• Chrisasaurus says:

The page is asking for your email address, sign in is same as website – enter email, get code, enter code

Could try typing it blind and hoping for the best

• Olly says:

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately it’s only displaying about a quarter of the keyboard on the screen so I can’t even write the full email.

• johnny_c-l says:

Keeps taking me in circles, asking for email code then back to sign up/log in again.

• Vicky says:

Having read the abysmal reviews for Virgin Red I don’t think I’ll bother.

• Phil says:

Nothing at all from Aegean.

• David says:

What to do with Eurostar points, in anticipation that they could enter administration fairly soon?

Once France and others go on the ‘red list’, and likely to have travel restrictions longer than places like Greece and Turkey, it’s far from clear that they have enough cash to get through to the next few months.

What’s the best way to protect the points? Transferring to Accor or via that to Iberia removes about two-thirds of the potential value. Any other options>

• Rob says:

Book a ticket and then cancel it later? If you had a ticket booked, I think the administrators would protect that – at least a bigger chance than protecting your points balance.

• Rich says:

Book a ticket worth >£100, and pay the taxes with a credit card? Not sure if S75 would apply though.

Is Eurostar going to fail though? I would have thought UK FR BE governments would eventually step in?

• Beardless Hipster says:

OT: Rocketmiles 5k promo has been extended until 31 March 21 https://www.rocketmiles.com/rm/daydream/en/

• Rob says:

Yes it has. It was actually extended in the first week of January but I didn’t bother to write about it. I might dig it out again now there is some hope of travel.