Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

NEW: Earn Avios, and a BA upgrade voucher, with Barclays Avios Rewards

This article is sponsored by Barclays Premier Banking

Details of the Barclays Premier Banking and Barclays Avios Rewards scheme are finally here. It is the only way to earn Avios from a UK current account.

If you are an existing Barclays Premier or Barclays Wealth customer, Barclays is rolling out the new partnership over the coming weeks. Some Premier Banking and personal Wealth customers have the opportunity to join from today.

If you cannot see an option to join Barclays Avios Rewards in the Barclays app or website you may have to wait a little longer.

If you are not an existing Barclays Premier customer, you can start the account opening process now. You will be able to opt in to Barclays Avios Rewards when it is fully rolled out.

What is Barclays Avios Rewards?

There is a new rewards option for Barclays Premier Banking and Barclays Wealth customers called ‘Barclays Avios Rewards’. This is separate to the existing ‘Barclays Blue Rewards’ and you must opt out of Blue Rewards if you want to join Avios Rewards, as you are unable to hold both.

Here are the headline details:

• There is a £12 monthly fee for Barclays Avios Rewards
  • You receive 1,500 Avios per month
  • You receive a ‘cabin upgrade voucher’ after 12 months (more details below)

There are bonus points if you have other products, including:

• Mortgage – 700 Avios per month, with a one-off bonus of 2,000 Avios when taking out a mortgage
  • Life cover – 150 Avios per month for the first 12 months (500 Avios if critical illness cover is included)
  • Home cover – 75 Avios per month for contents insurance, 75 Avios per month for buildings insurance, 150 per month for combined cover, all payable for the first year of cover only

How does the upgrade voucher work?

The upgrade voucher will be triggered after you have been a Barclays Avios Rewards member for 12 months, and every 12 months thereafter.

It will appear in your Executive Club account within five days of your 12th monthly membership fee being paid.

The voucher will be valid for travel taken within two years of the date of issue.

You can use the voucher to upgrade, by one cabin class, a return Avios Reward Flight for one person, or a one-way Avios Reward Flight for two people.

Upgrades can only be processed if there is Avios reward availability in the higher cabin. Additional taxes and charges may be due. Bookings cannot be upgraded to First class.

The full terms and conditions of the upgrade voucher are here.

We will do a full article looking at the upgrade voucher in a day or so.

Who is eligible for Barclays Avios Rewards?

Barclays Avios Rewards is only open to Barclays Premier Banking and Wealth customers.

To open a Barclays Premier Banking account, you will need an income of £75,000+ OR at least £100,000 saved or invested with Barclays.

You can also apply by opening a current account with Barclays Wealth, which is open to people with over £500,000 of investable assets.

Is there a joining bonus for switching to Barclays Avios Rewards?

2,500 Avios for existing customers

Barclays is soft-launching Avios Rewards. Not all customers will be invited immediately, so if you do not already have an invite in your account you may have to wait a little longer.

Existing customers will receive a one-off bonus of 2,500 Avios when they join Barclays Avios Rewards. Given that the current rewards program is an excellent deal – you are receiving 1,500 Avios for your £12 fee, which is just 0.8p per Avios – it makes sense to join if you can.

25,000 Avios for new customers

New Barclays Premier Banking or personal Barclays Wealth customers can receive a 25,000 Avios joining bonus. To receive this, you’ll need to move your existing current account to Barclays via the Current Account Switching Service, within 3 months of joining Barclays Avios Rewards.

Conclusion

Barclays Avios Rewards looks promising.

The monthly fee is more than offset by the 1,500 Avios you receive.

On top of this, there are plenty of bonus Avios on offer for taking out other Barclays products, you receive an attractive sign-up bonus and earn an annual upgrade voucher.

You can see more information, and sign up for Barclays Premier if you are not an existing customer, on the Barclays website here.

We will be spending more time over the next few days looking at this offer, including how to use the upgrade voucher and what other benefits you will get from moving to Barclays Premier Banking or Barclays Wealth.

Comments (342)

• Matthew says:

Two positives I’ve found from the voucher T&Cs….one is that you don’t have to be the person travelling on the voucher, you simply need to be the one making the booking. And 2) If you cancel, the voucher goes back into your account. With the Lloyds voucher you had to be travelling (there was a workaround but only via website but now just call) and if you cancel you lost the Lloyds voucher. Big plus is also the Barclays one will drop into your BA account = easy to use. Just a shame you have to start journey in UK to use Barclays voucher.

I think this Barclays offering is pretty good. Buying Avios for 0.8p each is fine by me as I mostly redeem for peak school hols and the voucher will prob save me 40,000 Avios each year LH so I’ll be signing up 👍

• BuildBackBetter says:

That’s big news if true!

• Alan says:

Apparently 2y expiry too, which is a step up from Lloyds. Not sure if book by or travel by though?

• Dubious says:

This makes it look very attractive, just a shame that I pushed a wodge of cash from my savings to downpay my Barclays mortgage earlier in the year. That £100,000 savings is now going to be hard to meet.

• peter says:

Would consider moving from Blue Rewards (have a mortgage) but the requirement that it has to start in UK is a bit of deal killer for me..

What are the best examples of World Traveller Plus Avios redemption from UK? Are they all £500+ taxes?

• TJ says:

If you meet the eligibility criteria of £100,000 saved or invested with Barclays, can you switch any ‘dormant’ current account or does it still need to be your primary active account in order to receive the sign-up bonus?

• John says:

What is a primary active account? Is it defined in the T&Cs? How would barclays know what you used another bank’s account for?

• sloth says:

you can switch any account to Barclays…doesnt need to be your main one. just open a new account with your existing bank and switch that

• Matt S says:

Nobody mentioning the travel insurance that comes with HSBC Premier, don’t believe this comes with the Barclays account so does that not negate some of the value of switching?

• Colin JE says:

True, Barclays offer a travel package but it costs another £18 a month, covering travel ins, Dragonpass card/s and 2 free visits pa, RAC recovery. Worth more if you attach it to a current account. You don’t need a Premier account. Doesn’t cover business travel tho ;-(

• John says:

Has anyone actually managed to upgrade to HSBC Premier? Currently have an Advance account but have been getting fobbed off for the last 9 months that their branches are closed and it can’t be done on the phone 🙄

• sloth says:

as mentioned previously, just apply for a new account online. if successful they will open a new one and automatically convert the existing. now you have 2… could then switch the new one to BP…:)

• TGLoyalty says:

I did this and had the account all set up within a few day

• Matthew says:

Exactly this. Applied for HSBC Premier online. They open new premier account. 5 days later my advance turned into Premier. Now have two Premier accounts. Will transfer the *new* one to Barclays Premier and keep the converted HSBC Premier one.

• Doug M says:

I’m with you on this. A recent message I sent from my Advance account explaining the run around finally resulted in HSBC creating a complaint. I was then properly contacted by the Premier team, and now I have a Booker phone interview for the upgrade.
      I’d go with the sloth method and just apply for a Premier ignoring you already have an Advance.

• Bobri says:

This thread seems to have a lot of readers knowledgeable about HSBC Premier, so perhaps someone could help with the below

If I have an Advance JOINT account, would I qualify for a switching bank bribe if I apply for a personal Premier account? (if relevant, also had a personal FD account in 2019 and switched out)

• Sloth says:

You can’t switch a joint account to a personal account

• Bobri says:

This is not what I am trying to accomplish.

I am trying to switch a Monzo / Starling to Premier and asking if I could bag a switching bonus, whilist I already have a joint Advance account with HSBC

• James says:

Don’t think so, thought the t&c say not eligible if have or had any current account since 2018.

• Eric says:

Have a HSBC Premier account. Read some comments of opening the Barclays Premier, and then transferring my salary from HSBC to Barclays every month to maintain the account.

Does this mean I won’t get the joining bonus as that will require a full account switch? (I assume the Current Account Switcher Service will require me to close HSBC?)

Does Barclays require a pay slip as evidence of income when opening the account or will the amount paid in suffice every month?

• Eric says:

Also have the HSBC Premier WEMC so hoping to keep that as I can’t use that for my Curve and ISA etc.

• illuminatus says:

Why can’t you use it for your Curve? Or did you mean ‘can use it’?

• Matthew says:

When you use a switching service, they will close the account you switch from as part of the process.

• Rob says:

You wouldn’t get the 25k. However, I reckon it is still a decent deal this way – you pay £144 for 18k Avios AND the upgrade voucher.

• TFC says:

We have a joint account with Barclays. If I switch my personal Nationwide Flexplus account across, is that the first step in getting the 25k avois bonus? I’m trying to find a simple list of what to do. I believe it is:

1. Open Barclays Premier Account.

2. Opt in to Avios rewards when it becomes available.

3. Fully switch Nationwide account to use Barclays Premier within 3 months.

Is it possible to do the full switch at the point of opening the account and still get the 25k bonus?

Is that correct?

• Mark says:

this is what I am planning to do, although our flexplus account is a joint account so I have opened a personal normal flex account and asked work payroll to change my salary so its paid into here. Once this goes through I will do the current account switch to Barclays Premier to trigger the 25k avios bonus. So far I have done (1) and will do (2) today as I got the option to opt into Avios rewards on the app overnight

• Paul S says:

I’m tempted by what is a 43,000 avois bribe But this convoluted application procedure and the known (at least to Mrs S) painful security process really doesn’t bode well.
        After all if the target customers are (medium) net worth people surely as a ‘Premier” customer, they could at least make is as easy as Starling to actually open and run an account… as that is the utility we all seek,
        I’m definitely put off by this, but expect that if switching is easy as it should be that Barclays lose me pretty quickly as I’ll switch out again when the next cash rebate / box of wine/ etc offer comes along.

• James says:

I thought if you had any bank account with Barclays you weren’t eligible for the 25k bonus?