Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

NEW: Get 1,000 bonus points (625 Avios) with Nectar Hotels bookings

This article is sponsored by Nectar Hotels

Nectar introduced a new hotel booking site, the simply named Nectar Hotels, just under two years ago. When the ability to transfer Nectar points to Avios launched last year, it suddenly became an interesting option for HfP readers.

They have now launched their first ever booking incentive.

Until 11th May 2022, if you make a Nectar Hotels booking using this page, you will get an additional 1,000 Nectar points bonus per booking.

This is in addition to the standard Nectar Hotels earn rate, which guarantees you at least 1,000 Nectar points per night. This means that you are guaranteed at least 2,000 Nectar points (worth 1,250 Avios) from a one night stay.

Nectar Hotels 1000 bonus points

The maximum number of Nectar points you can usually receive per night is 2,000. With this offer, you could get up to 3,000 Nectar points on a single night booking (more if you book for more than one night).

3,000 Nectar points gets you:

• 1,875 Avios
  • Up to £15 off a future Nectar Hotels booking
  • Up to £15 to use at Sainsburys or most other Nectar partners

That’s not a bad return ….

What’s the small print?

Here are the key terms and conditions:

• You must book between 28 April and 11 May 2022 inclusive
  • You can earn the bonus multiple times during the offer period
  • All stays will need to be completed by 31 December 2022 in order to receive the 1,000 bonus points offer
  • You will be advised at time of booking how many points will be awarded and when they will be received. All points (standard and bonus points) will be awarded within 7 & 45 days of completing a hotel stay for both refundable and non-refundable bookings.

Please see the offer landing page here for full terms and conditions.

Nectar Hotels bonus points

Collecting points with Nectar Hotels

The new 1,000 point booking bonus is a good incentive to use Nectar Hotels and makes the site considerably more valuable.

The cheapest hotel rate on Nectar Hotels is around £40 per night. Previously, booking this room would have given you 1,000 Nectar points, translating to 625 Avios or £5 of Nectar credit.

With this new booking bonus, you would get – for example – 2,000 Nectar points on a £50 one-night stay. This would convert into 1,250 Avios or £10 of Nectar credit, which is an excellent return.

The Nectar Hotels booking bonus makes the return on more expensive hotels attractive too. Although the price-to-points correlation on Nectar Hotels isn’t that clear-cut, hotels over £200 per night should allow you to collect 2,000 Nectar points per night.

On a £200 stay, add in the 1,000 point booking bonus and you should end up with 3,000 Nectar points for one night. These are worth £15 or 1,875 Avios which is a very decent rebate.

Nectar Hotels bonus offer

Spending points with Nectar Hotels is also good value

Nectar Hotels is a good option if you want to use Avios or Nectar points to book a hotel.

At Nectar Hotels, 2,000 Nectar points get you a £10 saving on a hotel room. This is the standard ‘0.5p per Nectar point’ return that you get with virtually all Nectar redemptions.

This means that 250 Avios = 400 Nectar points = £2 of hotel room, so 0.8p per Avios.

Converting Avios to Nectar and spending them via the Nectar Hotels site will get you 0.8p per Avios. This is a HUGE improvement on the 0.55p per Avios you get with some of the other Avios booking alternatives.

You will not receive the 1,000 bonus Nectar points if you make a redemption booking with Nectar Hotels. It is only valid on new cash bookings.

Conclusion

This is an attractive offer, especially for one night stays, and makes it worth trying out Nectar Hotels if you’ve never used it before.

The Nectar Hotels booking bonus is available on multiple bookings, so if you have a number of trips coming up, you could generate yourself a decent boost of Nectar points with this promotion.

As a reminder, the offer ends on 11th May but you have until the end of the year to stay.

You can find the Nectar Hotels page here.

Visiting Nectar Hotels? Find out more about what data is shared when visiting the site: Nectar Hotels is operated by a separate company, RocketMiles (Rocketmiles, an affiliate company of Agoda), with a separate Privacy Policy. When you go to the Nectar Hotels site, we’ll share with them your encrypted card number, points balance and a masked card number so you can start earning points straight away. RocketMiles handle the website, your booking, and any personal data collected to make that happen, including cookies on the site. They’ll share some of this information with Nectar, which will include information about your booking and your use of Nectar Hotels. Nectar will use that information to award points and personalise offers and marketing to you in accordance with its privacy policy.

Comments (23)

• TimM says:

As, ever there should be a strong health-warning about using sites, especially hotel-booking sites, just for points. I have a cancellable-for-free booking for the Villa Side Residence in Side, Turkey for 17 nights in January. It was therefore an easy yardstick. To be absolutely fair, I used Trivago’s current rate, rather than the rate I booked it at some months ago. Nectar Hotels best rate £1,363 with 34,000 Nectar points (value approx £170) vs. Trivago’s best rate (with TravelUp) £518 – checked within seconds of each other. The figures speak for themselves.

• SammyJ says:

Totally agree, but I’d rather pay double than use TravelUp. I’m sure a reputable agent would have a similar price though!

• TimM says:

I think practically every hotel booking site and travel agency has brought itself some disrepute during these Covid years – at least those that survived.

• memesweeper says:

There should be a strong health warning about buying anything because of an ancillary incentive! Of course you should shop around anyway. Despite various guarantees, no hotel site is always cheapest.

• jeff77 says:

“This article is sponsored by Nectar Hotels”

• Mike says:

Rob – thanks for this, I was unaware that you could get Nectar points with hotel bookings until I saw this article. Just compared prices for an upcoming stay and they are exactly the same as booking direct with the hotel but with 5,000 nectar points. Great news

• chrism20 says:

Unfortunately to book involves being able to login which appears to an issue for a growing number of us by the day.

Decent off though

• David says:

Yes, I tired yesteryear and even when I had logged into my account as requested, I wasn’t able to get back to the hotels page and make the booking !!

• ZoeB says:

I have a daughter currently travelling in Thailand, looks like some hotels there are under £20 a night. But to be fair she has often been paying about £12 a night for an ensuite aircon room in places with pools.

• Gordon says:

Booked through a third party for a hotel booking just before the pandemic struck. Arrived at the hotel in New York only to be told the booking had not been paid (Company ceased trading) so had to get a cab to another close hotel and pay rack rate as our original one was fully booked. The last thing you need after arriving early evening from a days travelling. Managed to recover the money from credit card company. But Never again….

• Andrew. says:

Ouch.

But, I’d definitely have found a WiFi hotspot for a last minute alternative on an OTA site than pay rack rate as a walk up.

• Gordon says:

Tbh as I remember the rate was not that bad as our original hotel phoned through to another sister hotel to make the booking then called our cab. But it was not an advance booking price that’s for sure. Lesson learned ….

• Chrisasaurus says:

Agree with the sentiment but think another OTA would be the last solution I would reach for!

• T says:

This article Reminds we that HFP used to flog kaligo on here like sweet pastries in the past! You must be mad to use them I say!!!!

• Rob says:

They will probably return. We did £100k of bookings each time those offers ran.

• T says:

And therefore it must be a good company? They now have a non refundable tax at 10% on their bookings. Good luck with that I say.

• Peter K says:

Kaligo worked out well for the right hotels.

• PL says:

I’ve just found a nice little sweet spot for this deal. We have a wedding in Koh Samui in June but cannot make it to the island in one day due to flight times and the ferry. So we will get a hotel in surat Thani for the night and then get the ferry in the morning. Using this offer we will get 2000 points on a £26 hotel booking. They only have one hotel on nectar hotels in surat Thani and it was the one we were going to book. Nice.

• Marc says:

It should always be cheaper booking directly with the hotel. I have one so I know, we pay booking . com 20% commision on every sale (and we cannot claim the VAT back on that as it’s registered for tax in Holland) so there should be an incentive to do a deal on the hotel’s part. Of course some would rather pay the full whack to the OTA, maybe they’re so rich…

• Erico1875 says:

That really isn’t the case
      I have stood at reception at one place on Costa Del Sol and booked online via a booking agency and saved 20% versus what the best price the reception were offering me. Just got the typical Spanish shrug.
      That’s not even including TCB

• John says:

That happened to me at a Hilton. I wanted to make a prepaid booking for 4 months ahead. (Sounds mad in covid era, but I always prepaid months in advance before 2020 and nothing ever went wrong.)

Furthermore I wanted to pay with cash because the country in question was about to issue a new series of banknotes, which I only realised towards the end of my trip. The notes that I had would not be usable by the time of the next trip unless I went to the central bank to swap them, but the new banknotes had not been released yet either. Thus I went to the Hilton to see I could dump the cash on them (flights had been booked ages prior, but hadn’t chosen hotel).

The price the front desk guy wanted for a direct booking was higher than the prices on the app. So the guy shrugged and gave me a code for the wifi so I could use my laptop to go via TCB (which had Hilton back then). Then he took all my cash and I paid the small remaining amount on card.

• Rob says:

Booking.com etc enforce price parity – the hotel is not allowed to undercut them directly. However, nothing stops the hotel offering lower prices to logged-in users or offering packages.

There is a place on the Yorkshire coast where we stay when visiting my Mum. In 2021 I used booking.com because I got a big pile of Avios back, which was a bad deal for the hotel. This year they have wised up – pricing is the same but booking.com users are faced with a nasty cancellation policy whereas direct bookings get a very liberal deal.