Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Why crediting Hertz car rentals to IHG One Rewards is surprisingly attractive

As Hertz is not a British Airways Avios partner, you have historically had to find an alternative home for the rewards you earn on your Hertz car rentals.

The good news is that this is no longer the case.  You can now earn Avios with Hertz rentals by crediting them to Qatar Airways Privilege Club.

This is because Qatar Privilege Club now uses Avios as its currency, and you can transfer the Avios onwards to British Airways Executive Club.

You only earn 500 Avios per Hertz rental, however. There is a little known partnership between Hertz and IHG One Rewards – the Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc hotel scheme – which is more generous.

Why crediting Hertz car rentals to IHG One Rewards is attractive

IHG One Rewards offers Diamond Elite members status with Hertz – click to read my article explaining how it works – which is an extra incentive to book.

ALL IHG One Rewards members, irrespective of status level, can earn points when they rent from Hertz.  Full details are on the IHG website here.

Here are the headline details:

• You will earn 1,500 IHG One Rewards points per rental

plus

• an extra 125 IHG One Rewards points per day for non-status members, or
  • an extra 500 IHG One Rewards points per day for status members

This is pretty generous, especially for Silver, Gold, Platinum or Diamond Elite members who are guaranteed at least 2,000 points per rental.

Perhaps more importantly, it seems that this is one of the few partner earning opportunities which has historically counted towards earning IHG status. We still need confirmation that this will continue in the rebranded IHG One Rewards.

Earn IHG One Rewards points from Hertz

Here are the snags:

• You must include the IHG CDP in your booking – this means that, whilst you benefit from the IHG discount of up to 35%, you are excluded from any more generous deals you may be able to access

Let’s assume that you value IHG points at 0.4p each, as I do.  A 2-day rental for a status member would earn you 2,500 points which is £10 of value.  A week-long rental would get you 5,000 points valued at £20.

This compares well with the Avios deal via Qatar Privilege Club. This will only get you 500 Avios, which I’d value at £5. It also beats the generous Virgin Atlantic deal with Hertz, which gets you 1,000 Virgin Points per rental.

As long as the IHG discount rate throws up a good price, this is one of the better hotel / car hire tie-ups and one you should try to remember. It may trump the new opportunity to earn Avios from Hertz.

IHG One Rewards update – June 2022:

Get bonus points: IHG One Rewards is offering bonus base points on all cash stays between 18th May and 31st August.  You earn double points on your 2nd to 5th nights, triple points on your 6th to 14th nights and quadruple base points from your 15th night. Our full article is here. Click here to register.

New to IHG One Rewards?  Read our overview of IHG One Rewards here and our article on points expiry rules here. Our article on ‘What are IHG One Rewards points worth?’ is here.

Buy points: If you need additional IHG One Rewards points, you can buy them here.

Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from IHG and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Comments (24)

• Phillip says:

My recent experience of actually getting the points credited following a rental has been a very frustrating one and took about 4 months and a plethora of communications! Got there in the end, but I did question whether it was worth my time! Let’s hope the new programme has a better customer service department!

• Aston100 says:

Can confirm it can be a frustrating battle trying to get the IHG points.
      Don’t think I’ll bother doing it through IHG again

• acewoking says:

Beware that any benefit you get by *registering* on the Hertz website can be wiped out by the higher cost of rental. I recently hired a car for 4 days while my own car was being serviced. If I logged in with my Hertz account, it was an eye watering £70 a day. If I went in as a guest it was £40 a day. So I went as a guest, I still gave my IHG number, and got 500 points.

• Charlieface says:

That’s probably due to your settings in your account. You probably selected Excess Waiver by default. In the Europe zone you need to select Yes for CDW and No for SLI and Excess Waiver.

• Supergers49 says:

I can confirm that is almost certainly the issue, as I’ve experienced that exact same issue in the past.

• The Original Nick says:

Did you try the Oz trick?

• Paul says:

I have presidents circle membership with Hertz and use the Amex EMEA CDP code which provides a 4 hour grace period.

Recognition is non existent, upgrades hit and miss, and during the pandemic Hertz were simply appalling. Their IT department and app are managed by BA, there can be no other explanation, it is so bad.

My last rental 10 days ago in the US (Washington DC) was a mess! Scratched dented and dirty!!

The OZ trick, ie booking on hertz.com/au does work well

• Chrisasaurus says:

That may be my fault; I left mine in a bit of a state last trip 😳

• SammyJ says:

Any info on the Oz trick please? Prices seem even higher on .com.au, is there a code needed as well?

• Rob says:

You need to use the Amex Plat code (and indeed have one).

• Louie says:

In my recent experience, Oz is no longer the bargain it used to be.

• Rob says:

I agree that the last one I quoted wasn’t a good deal either. Historically it was astonishing though – one UK Bank Holiday I got Hertz down from £100 per day to £20.

• Charlieface says:

The “Oz” trick works even without the Plat CDP (It changes the rate not the discount so you get whatever discount is for the CDP you use). And yes Oz hasn’t been so good but it comes and goes. Worth trying Brazil also.

Note that you don’t need to use hertz.com.au, you can just go to the top of hertz.co.uk and change country. Do this *after* logging in.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

As above, points collection (including Hertz own scheme) with any given Hertz rental is very hit-and-miss and can take a lot of effort to correct, so time spent before booking looking at various options to reduce the cash cost (aggregator sites, holiday/loyalty portals, different country sites, different login states, etc etc) is likely time far better spent – unless someone else is paying of course. To be honest I’ve lost the will and just treat any Hertz rewards that do land as an unexpected bonus.

• CamFlyer says:

While I historically found Hertz points posted, none of my recent rentals from Europcar or Sixt have posted in any program.

• Rob says:

Sixt doesn’t give miles on prepaid rates, it seems. This is very well hidden but I got caught by this last year.

My attempts to get Accor points from my last Europcar rental fell over because my Accor account has a letter in the account number and Europcar’s system can’t handle letters.

• Chas says:

Presumably you miss out on the 4 hour grace period by not being able to use the Amex Plat CDP if going this route?

• Reney says:

I find the whole car rental earning points and elite status benefits very confusing. Some intro articles would be much appreciated. For example if I use a third party to rent a car – which I always do cause it always seems to be cheaper than going direct, is it like hotels where your status is not recognised? Are any benefits particularly valuable? Are there any premium cards’ benefit except amex plat car insurance that makes a notable difference in car rental etc etc

• Louie says:

In my opinion, it’s best to credit Hertz rentals to Hertz’ own scheme. I’m using points for two weeks rental in the UK next month, 5,600 points + £30 saves £1,300 hire charges (per rentalcars.com). By my reckoning, that’s the points I earned on c£3,600 of hire charges as a Five Star member or a return of 35%.

• Supergers49 says:

If you are likely to do enough rentals to trigger weekly redemptions, I agree with you. I’ve had fantastic value out of Hertz redemptions.