Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

GREAT IHG DEAL: Instant Platinum status plus a simple challenge to get 18 months of Diamond

IHG One Rewards is celebrating the launch of the new programme with an exceptionally generous status challenge.

This is a very strong offer, because IHG One Rewards will have meaningful benefits from next month.

If there is any chance that you might stay at an IHG hotel (Holiday Inn, HI Express, InterContinental, Hotel Indigo, Crowne Plaza etc) over the next four months then you’d be mad not to register for this.

IHG One Rewards status challenge

How does the status challenge work?

Full details and the registration page are on ihg.com here.

This is how it works in a nutshell:

• You register via the link on this page (you must be a member – not a status member, just a general free member – of another major hotel loyalty scheme to take part)
  • You will be instantly (well, it may take a day or so) elevated to Platinum Elite status for 120 days
  • If you do five paid nights within those 120 days, your Platinum Elite status will be extended until 31st December 2023 (note: 2023, not 2022)
  • If you do 15 paid nights within those 120 days, your Platinum Elite status will be upgraded to Diamond Elite status and you will keep it until 31st December 2023

Easy peasy.

There is a game to play over timing

You have until 31st July 2022 to register for this offer.

The 120 day clock starts from the day you register.

Logically, you should delay registration until you are near to your next IHG cash stay. This maximises your chance of doing the 5 or 15 nights required to extend your status.

However …. I get a feeling that this offer is simply too generous. IHG may decide to pull it if they get 100,000 requests for status upgrades, which – globally – is not impossible. I would expect little old HfP to trigger a couple of thousand on its own.

It’s up to you. Register now and potentially not squeeze in enough nights, or wait and risk IHG pulling the offer early.

If you have zero intention of doing five nights to extend your status to December 2023, but will have one or two IHG nights in the next 120 days, I would sign up now to be certain.

(That said, if you were definitely doing two nights in the next 120 days then I’d be seriously tempted to do a 3-night mattress run in a cheap hotel near your house to lock in Platinum until December 2023.)

IHG One Rewards benefits

What are the benefits of Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite?

We wrote a 3-part series of articles on the new-look IHG One Rewards. If you are doing this status challenge, I recommend you read them:

IHG One Rewards – how to earn points and status

IHG One Rewards – the new elite status benefits

IHG One Rewards – all about Milestone Rewards

The new status levels are:

• Silver – requires 10 nights
  • Gold – requires 20 nights or 40,000 base points
  • Platinum – requires 40 nights or 60,000 base points
  • Diamond – requires 70 nights or 120,000 base points

At most IHG brands, you earn 10 base points per $1 of pre-tax spending.

Reward nights will continue to count towards status and also count towards the new Milestone Rewards.

These are the new base point bonuses earned on paid stays:

• Silver – 20%
  • Gold – 40%
  • Platinum – 60%
  • Diamond – 100%

Here are the benefits:

Let’s pick out the key points:

• Platinum and Diamond members will receive regular discount deals on booking rewards – I expect this will be similar to the recent 20% discount given to IHG credit card holders. You can’t say that this makes your points more valuable, however, because – as reward pricing is now linked to cash rates – holding off to wait for the next discount period could result in the cost of your reward increasing.
  • Diamond members will get a dedicated telephone line
  • The upgrade policy for Platinum and Diamond members has been improved and may include suites
  • Free breakfast for Diamond members. As with Marriott Bonvoy, this is an option you must choose at check-in (those on expenses may want to pay for breakfast and take the bonus points instead, plus earn more points on the breakfast spend). Unlike Marriott, the rules are simple – your breakfast is free if there is a buffet, with no restrictions on what you can have, or you get one hot item if it is a la carte. The only major brands excluded are Candlewood Suites and Mr & Mrs Smith.
  • Gold members will no longer receive a welcome amenity. Say goodbye to your 600 points or a drink and a KitKat. The amenity remains as it was for Platinum members, so doing this status challenge is a good way to keep receiving it.
  • Late check-out is offered to ALL members, even those who sign up at the front desk when they check-in. This is not guaranteed, clearly. What isn’t clear is if Platinum and Diamond members get priority for it. I would have been happier if this had been just given to Platinum and Diamond members but been guaranteed.

Conclusion

If you have any cash stays at an IHG hotel coming up in the next 120 days then you should register for this offer. You’ll benefit from Platinum benefits on your stay.

If you can divert 15 nights to IHG in the next 120 days after registration, you’ll receive free breakfast and other Diamond benefits on all of your stays until the end of 2023. This is pretty attractive, especially given that Diamond usually requires 70 nights.

You may even be able to status match from Diamond Elite to top tier in another programme, given that Diamond Elite will be hard to earn from next year and may be valued more by competitors.

You can register for the status challenge here.

Whilst it asks you to name another hotel programme you are a member of, you do NOT need to have any status in that programme. This is not a status match. IHG just seems to want to be able to count what percentage of new members are coming from each programme.

IHG One Rewards update – June 2022:

Get bonus points: IHG One Rewards is offering bonus base points on all cash stays between 18th May and 31st August.  You earn double points on your 2nd to 5th nights, triple points on your 6th to 14th nights and quadruple base points from your 15th night. Our full article is here. Click here to register.

New to IHG One Rewards?  Read our overview of IHG One Rewards here and our article on points expiry rules here. Our article on ‘What are IHG One Rewards points worth?’ is here.

Buy points: If you need additional IHG One Rewards points, you can buy them here.

Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from IHG and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Comments (152)

• Pete M says:

Possibly a stupid question, but how would this work with one being Diamond Elite already – could it be used to extend Platinum/Diamond until the end of 2023?

• Rob says:

Probably not.

• Maciek says:

no, it immediately downgrades you to platinum 🤦‍♂️

• rmjs says:

Thanks for saving me trying that! I’m not going to get spire again, so had the same question as you. Need another plan before resorting to mattress runs…

• Damian says:

Thanks Rob just registered.

• Entitled says:

Given the oft repeated HfP line that benefits not guaranteed are worthless, I see nothing of value in the Platinum to make me want to sign up even though I could easily hit the target to maintain it.

• Rob says:

You are guaranteed the welcome amenity – which is being dropped for Gold – and you are guaranteed exclusive access to reward night sales. We don’t yet know how serious they are about improving upgrades. You’re also guaranteed the 60% bonus points.

• josh says:

The Important benefits of suite upgrade and late checkout are not guaranteed which I agree is worthless. With marriott and Hilton in euopre and asia almost always get suite upgrade. Also 4PM checkout and breakfast and lounge access are guaranteed. Cant understand why anyone would even bother with IHG. They arer trying but are still light years behind marriott and hilton I have IHG plaitum which is totally useless:)

• Rob says:

I don’t think I have ever as a Marriott Plat/Titanium had a suite upgrade in Europe. Could be wrong but nothing springs to mind – I suppose I got a Family Room at a Moxy earlier this year which is technically suite like.

Even when I have applied a Marriott suite upgrade certificate to guarantee a suite, I have never got a suite higher than the one I was guaranteed with the certificate (and I’ve done four Suite Night Award stays in the last month – Frankfurt Airport, Venice and 2 x Gatwick, as I try to use them up). Nothing on multiple Marriott Berlin stays, multiple JW Marriott Venice stays, University Arms Cambridge, Turnberry last Christmas, Glasgow etc just to pull a few Marriott stays off the top of my head. I’m not saying I wasn’t upgraded at all on these stays but not to a suite – or, with JW Venice, I paid for a small suite and remained in it.

Bizarrely the best suite upgrade I’ve had in recent years was when I booked ME Melia on the Strand on points for my brother (but booked in my name) when my Amex Plat Melia Gold got him a huge upgrade!

I did around 30 Hilton day room bookings in London during covid for office space and got a grand total of 1 suite upgrade, so a strike rate of around 3%. I also did 20 nights at Residence Inn Kensington (Marriott) during covid with no upgrade. Admittedly I was paying £30-£40 per day for these and actually made a profit once I factored in various bonus point promos running at the time ….

• krys_k says:

I’ve always contact a hotel prior to visit and asked what room id get. Invariably I’m told it’s a suite. This was on platinum. Counties were Poland, North Macedonia, UK and Bulgaria. Maybe being proactive is the trick. Or maybe I wouldn’t get the same luck in Paris or Amsterdam.

• Ank says:

I registered for it but the current status says CLUB? Does it take couple of days before its upgraded?

• Rob says:

We don’t know – this offer only launched a couple of hours ago.

• Ben says:

Looks like some are instant, others not. A few hours since I signed up. No change yet.

• Ben says:

Any idea what’s going on with this offer yet? It seems like it’s not working for lots of people.

• Rob says:

No. Clearly works fine for most (let’s assume 2000 readers signed up) but a few problem cases!

• Ben says:

They’re trying to tell me the terms of the offer are different in the UK and the email was sent in error.

• Ben says:

Perfect timing for me. Registered immediately.

My status remains club member though. Any idea how long it takes?

• Mike says:

My upgrade to platinum was instant – literally just seconds, not sure I’ll make the 5 night target but nothing lost by clicking register

• Ben says:

Still nothing. Will chase tomorrow as I’m checking in to a IHG hotel on Friday.

• RJ says:

Similar to Pete M’s question – but as an existing Platinum member and unlikely to hit my Diamond target this year, I wonder if this could be used to get to Diamond?

• Ian says:

Well, I don’t have any paid stays coming up, but I do have a couple of rewards nights stays. So I may as well register in the hope of a free drink.

• Michael Jennings says:

Slightly off topic.

I stayed in the Intercontinental in Sydney a few weeks back, using a free night voucher that I got from the IHG Premium Credit Card from Creation that I don’t have any more because of the Curve Card thing. I also have Diamond (Spire until recently) and Ambassador Status.

At check-in, I asked if this new Ambassador status meant I was entitled to free breakfast. I was told that it didn’t, but that breakfast was $42 but that as I had a $30 food and beverage credit, I could use that and breakfast would be $12. I thought that $12 was okay for breakfast, so I said yes to that. I assumed that the $30 was the Ambassador food and beverage credit, but that wasn’t explicitly said.

Anyway, I checked out and they e-mailed me the folio. I then discovered that I had been charged $30 for breakfast. I sent them an e-mail explaining the above and that being charged $30 with no credit was confusing in multiple ways. Almost immediately I received an e-mail from someone saying that they weren’t sure what had happened but they would check.

A little later I received a refund to my credit card of $25. I received no further communications from them. This was a satisfactory outcome, but it left me even more confused than I was before.

• Matt says:

Ambassador gives you F&B credit with each stay. Did you stay at the IC in the CBD? We stayed (pre-pandemic) at the IC in double bay and throughly recommended over the CBD one. Feels much more holiday and leisure destination, and closer to the beach too. Double bay is also a lovely neighbourhood to stay in with very good breakfast options right across the road.

• Phillip says:

My experience with the Ambassador F&B credit is that 90% of ICs do not apply it until I point it out at check out! Even if they acknowledge Ambassador status at check in and even give me a welcome note that spells out the benefit!