IHG One Rewards is celebrating the launch of the new programme with an exceptionally generous status challenge.
This is a very strong offer, because IHG One Rewards will have meaningful benefits from next month.
If there is any chance that you might stay at an IHG hotel (Holiday Inn, HI Express, InterContinental, Hotel Indigo, Crowne Plaza etc) over the next four months then you’d be mad not to register for this.
How does the status challenge work?
Full details and the registration page are on ihg.com here.
This is how it works in a nutshell:
- You register via the link on this page (you must be a member – not a status member, just a general free member – of another major hotel loyalty scheme to take part)
- You will be instantly (well, it may take a day or so) elevated to Platinum Elite status for 120 days
- If you do five paid nights within those 120 days, your Platinum Elite status will be extended until 31st December 2023 (note: 2023, not 2022)
- If you do 15 paid nights within those 120 days, your Platinum Elite status will be upgraded to Diamond Elite status and you will keep it until 31st December 2023
There is a game to play over timing
You have until 31st July 2022 to register for this offer.
The 120 day clock starts from the day you register.
Logically, you should delay registration until you are near to your next IHG cash stay. This maximises your chance of doing the 5 or 15 nights required to extend your status.
However …. I get a feeling that this offer is simply too generous. IHG may decide to pull it if they get 100,000 requests for status upgrades, which – globally – is not impossible. I would expect little old HfP to trigger a couple of thousand on its own.
It’s up to you. Register now and potentially not squeeze in enough nights, or wait and risk IHG pulling the offer early.
If you have zero intention of doing five nights to extend your status to December 2023, but will have one or two IHG nights in the next 120 days, I would sign up now to be certain.
(That said, if you were definitely doing two nights in the next 120 days then I’d be seriously tempted to do a 3-night mattress run in a cheap hotel near your house to lock in Platinum until December 2023.)
What are the benefits of Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite?
We wrote a 3-part series of articles on the new-look IHG One Rewards. If you are doing this status challenge, I recommend you read them:
The new status levels are:
- Silver – requires 10 nights
- Gold – requires 20 nights or 40,000 base points
- Platinum – requires 40 nights or 60,000 base points
- Diamond – requires 70 nights or 120,000 base points
At most IHG brands, you earn 10 base points per $1 of pre-tax spending.
Reward nights will continue to count towards status and also count towards the new Milestone Rewards.
These are the new base point bonuses earned on paid stays:
- Silver – 20%
- Gold – 40%
- Platinum – 60%
- Diamond – 100%
Here are the benefits:
Let’s pick out the key points:
- Platinum and Diamond members will receive regular discount deals on booking rewards – I expect this will be similar to the recent 20% discount given to IHG credit card holders. You can’t say that this makes your points more valuable, however, because – as reward pricing is now linked to cash rates – holding off to wait for the next discount period could result in the cost of your reward increasing.
- Diamond members will get a dedicated telephone line
- The upgrade policy for Platinum and Diamond members has been improved and may include suites
- Free breakfast for Diamond members. As with Marriott Bonvoy, this is an option you must choose at check-in (those on expenses may want to pay for breakfast and take the bonus points instead, plus earn more points on the breakfast spend). Unlike Marriott, the rules are simple – your breakfast is free if there is a buffet, with no restrictions on what you can have, or you get one hot item if it is a la carte. The only major brands excluded are Candlewood Suites and Mr & Mrs Smith.
- Gold members will no longer receive a welcome amenity. Say goodbye to your 600 points or a drink and a KitKat. The amenity remains as it was for Platinum members, so doing this status challenge is a good way to keep receiving it.
- Late check-out is offered to ALL members, even those who sign up at the front desk when they check-in. This is not guaranteed, clearly. What isn’t clear is if Platinum and Diamond members get priority for it. I would have been happier if this had been just given to Platinum and Diamond members but been guaranteed.
If you have any cash stays at an IHG hotel coming up in the next 120 days then you should register for this offer. You’ll benefit from Platinum benefits on your stay.
If you can divert 15 nights to IHG in the next 120 days after registration, you’ll receive free breakfast and other Diamond benefits on all of your stays until the end of 2023. This is pretty attractive, especially given that Diamond usually requires 70 nights.
You may even be able to status match from Diamond Elite to top tier in another programme, given that Diamond Elite will be hard to earn from next year and may be valued more by competitors.
Whilst it asks you to name another hotel programme you are a member of, you do NOT need to have any status in that programme. This is not a status match. IHG just seems to want to be able to count what percentage of new members are coming from each programme.
IHG One Rewards update – June 2022:
Get bonus points: IHG One Rewards is offering bonus base points on all cash stays between 18th May and 31st August. You earn double points on your 2nd to 5th nights, triple points on your 6th to 14th nights and quadruple base points from your 15th night. Our full article is here. Click here to register.
New to IHG One Rewards? Read our overview of IHG One Rewards here and our article on points expiry rules here. Our article on ‘What are IHG One Rewards points worth?’ is here.
Buy points: If you need additional IHG One Rewards points, you can buy them here.
Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from IHG and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.