Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

AMAZING DEAL: Get 50,000 Avios bonus with the new Barclaycard Avios Plus Mastercard

This article is sponsored by Barclaycard

UPDATE – SEPTEMBER 2022:  This article is now out of date, but don’t worry.  We produce a monthly directory of the top UK travel credit card offers – please click HERE or use the ‘Credit Cards’ menu above.  Thank you.

Until 25th October 2022, there is an exceptionally generous sign-up bonus on The Platinum Card from American Express. You will receive 60,000 Membership Rewards points – double the usual amount – and £200 to spend at Amex Travel. You need to spend £6,000 within six months to earn the bonus. You can apply here.

Barclaycard has launched an astonishing deal on its new Barclaycard Avios Plus Mastercard.

If you apply by 18th July via this link you will receive 50,000 Avios when you spend £3,000 within three months.

This is an unparalleled deal, especially when you remember that the monthly fee for the card is just £20 and that you cancel at any time.

In the very worst case scenario, assuming you can’t get the flight redemptions you want, you could turn your 50,000 Avios into £400 of Nectar points. That’s not a bad sign-up bonus at all …..

Barclaycard Avios

If you don’t want to pay any fee at all, there is also a special offer of 10,000 Avios on the free Barclaycard Avios Mastercard.

However, I genuinely don’t recommend getting the free card with 10,000 Avios if you believe that you can spend £3,000 in three months to earn 50,000 Avios on the paid card.

The new Barclaycard Avios Mastercard credit cards are impressive

These two new credit cards cards should fundamentally change your Avios collecting strategy if you are based in the UK.

They are, easily, the most rewarding non-Amex travel credit cards on the market and arguably the most valuable Visa or Mastercard credit cards in the UK of any sort. Whilst Barclaycard would love you to swap your Amex card for its Mastercard, there is nothing to stop you running both cards side by side.

Irrespective of what Visa or Mastercard you are currently using alongside your BA Amex card, you should find that these two new cards are better.

I think the cards offer you more than the Virgin Atlantic Reward credit cards, and those were already head and shoulders (in my view) above all other UK Visa and Mastercard products.

Unfortunately, existing Barclaycard holders – which includes the old Hilton Honors card – cannot apply as you are restricted to one Barclaycard credit card at a time. Some cardholders are being targetted with a switching bonus via the Barclaycard app if you want to give up your existing product. If you choose to cancel your existing card you will need to wait six months before making a fresh application.

The application page for Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card (now 50,000 Avios) is here.

The application page for the free Barclaycard Avios credit card (now 10,000 Avios) is here.

There are TWO Barclaycard Avios credit cards

I will run over the benefits of both of the Barclaycard Avios cards below. The bottom line, however, is that I recommend getting the paid card because of the huge 50,000 Avios sign-up bonus. You can always trade down to the free card later.

Let’s summarise the two Barclaycard Avios credit cards:

Barclaycard Avios card

The free card: Barclaycard Avios Mastercard

Note that the card has a representative APR of 23.9% variable.

The benefits are:

• No annual fee
  • A sign-up bonus for new Barclaycard customers of 10,000 Avios if you spend £1,000 in three months – this is a special offer until 18th July 2022
  • You earn 1 Avios per £1 spent
  • You earn a British Airways cabin upgrade voucher if you spend £20,000 in a card year
  • Whilst not travel related, you also get up to five months of Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple News+ and Apple Arcade for free

You can apply here.

You only need to apply by 18th July 2022.

Barclaycard Avios Plus card

The paid card: Barclaycard Avios Plus Mastercard

Note that the card has a representative APR of 72.4% variable based on a £20 monthly fee and an illustrative £1,200 credit limit. The APR on purchases is 23.9% variable.

The benefits are:

• A £20 per month fee (reduced to £15 for customers who hold Barclays Avios Rewards via a Barclays Premier current account)
  • A sign-up bonus for new Barclaycard customers of an astonishing 50,000 Avios if you spend £3,000 in three months – this is a special offer which runs to 18th July 2022
  • You earn 1.5 Avios per £1 spent
  • You earn a British Airways cabin upgrade voucher if you spend £10,000 in a card year
  • You receive Mastercard World Elite privileges (Barclaycard has not yet announced which aspects of World Elite it will be adopting)

You can apply here.

You only need to apply by 18th July 2022.

Note that the fee is paid monthly and you can cancel or downgrade to the free card at any point. This should be possible via the Barclaycard app although some people do not see the offer appearing.

Barclaycard Avios Mastercard credit card

You can learn more in our other article today

There are three additional articles on this deal if you want to learn more:

Summary

This is an amazing deal. The ability to pick to 50,000 Avios – worth £400 of Nectar points even if you use them in the least rewarding way! – from a £20 per month credit card is exceptionally generous.

Even if you don’t / can’t apply yourself, how about someone else in your Household Account?

There is also a lot of long term value in these cards:

An earnings rate which blows all other Visa or Mastercard products out of the water:

You honestly couldn’t ask for more from a non-Amex credit card. The earning rate of 1 Avios per £1 (free card) or 1.5 Avios per £1 (fee card) blows all of the competition out of the water. If you value an Avios at 1p, which we do in our articles, then you’d be getting an effective 1% to 1.5% return on your spending. This is 400%-500% more than your typical cashback Visa or Mastercard.

An annual BA upgrade voucher if you hit your spending target:

On top of an outstanding earn rate, you can earn a valuable annual cabin upgrade voucher for an Avios reward flight booking on British Airways. We will look at this in detail in another article this week, but this can easily save you 50,000+ Avios on a typical redemption.

A big sign-up bonus which most HfP readers will qualify for:

For total clarity, you qualify for the bonus on these cards even if you have a British Airways American Express card. The only people who don’t qualify are those who currently have another Barclays credit card, or have had one in the last six months.

My personal view is that you should apply for the £20 per month Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card. This gets you:

• the 50,000 Avios bonus for spending £3,000 in three months (for applications by 18th July)
  • the higher earning rate and
  • the reduced £10,000 target for earning a cabin upgrade voucher

How to apply

You can apply for the free Barclaycard Avios credit card (10,000 Avios bonus until 18th July) here.

You can apply for the Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card (50,000 Avios bonus until 18th July) here.

Disclaimer: Head for Points is a journalistic website. Nothing here should be construed as financial advice, and it is your own responsibly to ensure that any product is right for your circumstances. Recommendations are based primarily on the ability to earn miles and points. The site discusses products offered by lenders but is not a lender itself. Robert Burgess, trading as Head for Points, is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to act as an independent credit broker.

Comments (507)

• Frank says:

Do you get issued the avios immediately?

• Rob says:

No, the full 50k comes once you’ve hit the £3,000 target.

• Frank says:

Yes sorry I mean after the £3k spend
        Will curve fronted work?

• Rob says:

If you look at our forum you’ll see that a lot of Curve users are being shut down by Barclaycard.

• colinc57 says:

But is that due to the fact that a lot of people on this forum are also curve users?

I n last three months I have used BC heavily but put through a couple of large curve transactions 😉 to hit my voucher early. Currently no sign of a close down… in fact my own ( well timed) downgrade seems to be going smoothly.

• Rob says:

Normally you could say that, but when the cards have only been available for a handful of weeks ….

• Richard Parker says:

I took out a black barclaycard 4 months ago and I met the threshold for the bonus avios. However it was only 25000. Not exactly pleased that they are now offering 50000 🙁

• vol says:

Don’t worry about it. I expect you were happy when you got it, so be happy now – at least Barclaycard deemed you worthy enough to receive the card – some others have been left out in the cold completely 😉

• PeterK says:

Does Barclaycard offer referral bonus if recommended by an existing Barclaycard Avios Plus holder. Can’t see anything on the app.

• Really says:

This is for someone who has £100K+ in Barclays Business Account and £50K+ in personal account!

• Really says:

And 999 in Experian score!
      What a JOKE!

• Rob says:

We have said MANY times on here that you are unlikely to be accepted if a) you admit to being an existing Barclays customer and b) you are very highly paid. What is Barclays going to cross-sell you? Nothing. Are you likely to spend a lot on a card which costs Barclays money for every £1 you spend? Yes. Where is the value for them?

If you earned £30k and you banked with Monzo and you got rejected then I would have been surprised.

• Matt says:

I was rejected in February. In the meanwhile, I set up a Chase bank account (simple and easy). I then provided my Chase bank details to Barclaycard (and not my Barclays Premier details). Application accepted last week. Card arrived today.

• T says:

So they state they need to take your information in order to check credit worthiness and then leave a mark on your credit file but then based on the information provided have no intention of offering the product. That’s disingenuous at best. How can customers make informed decisions on divulging their valuable information if the company uses it in this manner without stating such in their policy…

• CarpalTravel says:

Just need someone to ask about Apple Pay and we have the hat trick of regular comments on this page alone. FAQ section, anyone?!

• Really says:

I should state Barclays Business and Non-Barclays Personal Account.
          I was fool to let Barclays run through my personal bank account, have a hit on my credit file and ultimately be denied the card!

Barclays, never asked if there is any existing Barclays Business account in your/company name!

• Barney says:

Will I earn Avios and would it count toward the £3000 spend if I use the card to top up my Amazon gift card balance? I received an email about my Creation Card stating that I would be charged for topping up my Amazon account. I wondered if anyone had any experience with Barclaycard they could share.

• Rhys says:

Does Amazon treat topping up your account any differently to a normal transaction?

• CarpalTravel says:

I don’t think it would be any problem but even if you are concerned, just buy a load of physical Amazon gift vouchers from Morrisons instead. Definitely have no problems there.

• Jason Wiltshire says:

Clicking on the site link to Barclaycard, currently goes to a landing page that says “If you’re new to Barclaycard, you’ll collect 25,000 Avios”

How do we get the 50k please?

• Rob says:

You get the 50k. Barclaycard simply isn’t bothering to upgrade every single reference to 25k online.

• Jason Wiltshire says:

Or one simple landing page from a referral link. It’s really not difficult.

• J says:

I received a Barclaycard email on Friday saying my 25,000 bonus points are now in my Avios account – they aren’t. I assume this is Barclaycard jumping the gun rather than any transfer issue? Any clues on how long they normally take to deposit? (I got the the 5,000 HfP bonus fine weeks ago, so definitely right account).

• Stephen says:

Had a torrid time with Barclays recently with both the Avios+ credit card and the Premier bank account.

The card finally arrived today, and I try setting it up for Apple Pay. It tells me that the only option I have to confirm the set up is to call Barclaycard. They tell me that some customers can’t set it up and there’s nothing they can do to help me, try again in a few months. This is after waiting over an hour in a queue to talk to someone.

If they’re hoping to take Amex customers they’re going to have to work a lot harder. Amex customer services and card services have always been flawless.

• Rob says:

Apparently if you set it up via the Barclaycard app you can export it into Apple Wallet from there. Apparently this works even when directly inputting the card number doesn’t.

• Stephen says:

I’ll give this a go. Unfortunately they also won’t let me set up the app without a card reader that’s sent out separately in 5-10 business days. Thanks!

• Chas says:

Have you tried making a physical purchase with the card first, using chip and pin? That might make adding it directly to Apple Pay work

• Stephen says:

I’ll give this a go once I have the app set up too, so that I can try both things at once. Thanks 🙂