Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

What are the best IHG One Rewards hotels at London Heathrow Airport?

IHG is not short of hotel options at Heathrow Airport which is good news for anyone looking to boost their IHG One Rewards points, redeem their points for a free room or benefit from their elite status.

There is even a dedicated IHG website for its Heathrow properties which you can find here.

But which hotel is best for you?

Holiday Inn Staybridge Suites Heathrow Bath Road

IHG has been on a roll at Heathrow over the last 3-4 years.  On Bath Road, just outside Terminals 2/3, there is a brand new Staybridge Suites (website here, review here) and Holiday Inn (website here, review here) sharing a building, pictured above.

Over at Terminal 4, directly connected to the terminal, there is a Crowne Plaza (website here, review here) and a Holiday Inn Express (website here, review here) also sharing the same building and public spaces.

IHG has eight hotels in and around Heathrow airport although three remain closed to the public.  These are my picks.

Best overall IHG hotel at Heathrow

The brand new Crowne Plaza London Heathrow at Terminal 4 is, in my view, the clear winner here.  It is a very classy operation, with the benefit of being directly connected to the terminal.  We reviewed the Crowne Plaza London Heathrow T4 here and a photo of my room is below – I also found the restaurant to be excellent.  The hotel site is here

crowne plaza heathrow terminal 4 bed review

That said, the new Staybridge Suites and Holiday Inn on Bath Road (reviewed here and here) are not far behind and you would be perfectly happy at those too. The only downside is having to take a bus to get there, albeit the journey is under five minutes from the Central Bus Station.

Best budget IHG hotel at Heathrow

The new Holiday Inn Express at Terminal 4 gets my vote.  What more could you want?   It is directly connected to the terminal, is brand new and you get free breakfast.  As an added perk you can cross-charge the bar and formal restaurant in the Crowne Plaza to your room if you don’t want to skimp all the way.  We reviewed the Holiday Inn Express Heathrow T4 hereThe hotel site is here.  This is a photo I took of a room:

Review Holiday Inn Express London Heathrow Terminal 4 hotel

Cheapest IHG hotel at Heathrow

Sadly, during the pandemic, the Holiday Inn London Heathrow Ariel left the chain. It is now a Best Western as you can see here.

The photo below shows it in its original 1961 glory.  I can remember when single bedded rooms at the Ariel were available for £29. Shockingly the website now shows a lead-in price of £139.

For a more modern property with free breakfast, try the Holiday Inn Express London Heathrow T5.  Whilst I have never been, a friend is very positive about this hotel, praising its ease of access from the M4, the excellent sound insulation and the ability to grab a snack from the M&S Simply Food in the petrol station across the road.

Ariel Hotel Heathrow Best Western

Best hotel for longer stays or ‘at home’ facilities

Let’s be honest, I’m not sure why you’d want to have a long stay at any Heathrow hotel.  However, the new Staybridge Suites London Heathrow Bath Road looks like the best option if you do need to stick around

All rooms here include a fully equipped kitchen.  As an added bonus, all guests get free breakfast too.

Best IHG hotel for runway views

Whilst I have never stayed here myself, a friend recommends the rooms with runway views at the Holiday Inn London Heathrow T5 for any ‘aircraft enthusiasts’.  These cannot be requested when booking online but are often given as upgrades to elite members, apparently.  This hotel is not attached to Terminal 5, for clarity.

This hotel has still not reopened post pandemic.

Holiday Inn Heathrow Terminal 5

Best IHG hotel at Heathrow for families

If you don’t want to take two connecting rooms, there are a few options:

• the Holiday Inn London Heathrow T5 has family rooms which contain a double bed plus two rollaway beds.  There is no free breakfast at Holiday Inn properties, however, unless you have Diamond status in IHG One Rewards. This hotel is still closed post pandemic.
  • the new Holiday Inn Express London Heathrow T4 is the best value family option, especially as breakfast is free and it is connected to terminal.  You can get rooms with a double bed and a double sofa bed.
  • the Holiday Inn London Heathrow M4 J4 also has rooms with a double sofa bed which sleep four (this is hotel is still closed post pandemic)
  • for higher spenders, the suites at the new Crowne Plaza London Heathrow T4 sleep four people and come with Club Lounge access which means free lounge breakfast
  • if you want a kitchen unit to prepare your own food for your family, the obvious (and only) option is the new Staybridge Suites on Bath Road, where the cheap one bedroom suites have a sofa bed in the living room.  Staybridge Suites hotels provide free breakfast.
  • the Crowne Plaza London Heathrow has rooms with two double beds, which means you don’t need to compromise with a sofa bed.  This hotel is currently closed (see next entry).

Best IHG hotel for leisure facilities

If you’re looking for an excellent swimming complex, I recommend the Crowne Plaza London Heathrow which is on the north side of the M4.  I stayed here a few years ago and my kids loved the huge pool complex.

I wrote this article on the best hotel swimming pools at Heathrow and the Crowne Plaza was the winner.  There is also a sauna, jacuzzi and a good gym.  Unfortunately, the long promised refurbishment of the rooms has not yet taken place.

Note that this hotel is currently closed to the public. It has been taken over by the Home Office to house asylum seekers

Crowne Plaza Heathrow pool

Best IHG hotel if you want a funky lobby!

To be honest, the Holiday Inn London Heathrow M4 J4 does not get much enthusiasm from people I know and I was struggling for something positive to write about it.

However, it did spend a lot of money on a new lobby and restaurant just before the pandemic, with the old Irish pub been transformed into ‘Terminal 6’. This is reportedly a surprisingly classy bar.

Note that this hotel is currently closed to the public.

Holiday Inn Heathrow M4 J4

Conclusion

There are now eight IHG hotels at Heathrow Airport, although only five are currently open to the public. The good news is that four of the five are effectively new and, having been to all of them, they are all recommended.

To be honest, I would be tempted to add the Hotel Indigo just outside Paddington Station to your shortlist.  You get the benefit of spending time in the city centre and, if you time it right, you should be able to get from the hotel to the airport within 30 minutes via Heathrow Express or the Elizabeth Line.

IHG One Rewards update – December 2022:

Get bonus points: You will earn bonus IHG One Rewards points on stays between 13th October 2022 and 31st December 2022. You can choose between 2,000 points for every two nights or 10,000 points for every four nights (not cumulative). Read this article for full details. You can register here.

New to IHG One Rewards?  Read our overview of IHG One Rewards here and our article on points expiry rules here. Our article on ‘What are IHG One Rewards points worth?’ is here.

Buy points: If you need additional IHG One Rewards points, you can buy them here.

You will receive a 100% bonus if you buy IHG One Rewards points by 29th December 2022.

Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from IHG and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Comments (70)

• Robert says:

Off topic but just wondering if the reduced 450 TP threshold applies to all BAEC members, or just those whose year end is before 2023? I’ve just had my promo double Avios post, yet my account is saying I need to make 600 to retain silver. Checked my wifes account and that shows only 450 required. Thanks in advance

• Rob says:

Applies to all but if your year-end is after 31/12 it will show 600 as target. You’ll still be promoted if you hit 450 by New Year.

• Robert says:

Thanks Rob, I thought that might be the case as I’m Feb23 yr end and wife’s is Dec22.

• DanLondon says:

Great article. I love the T4 Crowne Plaza! The restaurant is very good, and reasonably priced and always find the staff to be very friendly. I wish Heathrow would refurbish the link-bridge to the terminal. It needs a good lick of paint. I’m not sure if you have stayed in the Paddington Hotel Indigo Rob – the location is fantastic but it’s a miserable affair. Cramped and needs an urgent refurbishment. Interestingly it shares some facilities with a Mercure Hotel which it’s joined to it.

• Claire Pugh says:

Which is the best hotel at Heathrow that includes parking for the duration of your holiday? Any suggestions please?

• Claire Pugh says:

Thanks Rob, I will take a look.

• Tariq says:

I usually book with Marriott and the hotels offering long stay parking rates vary based on dates.

I think all of them (with the exception of Heathrow/Windsor Marriott – that sometimes appears on JustPark) have offered these rates from time to time. Have used Courtyard and the Sheraton, and have Renaissance booked in the future. I just book whatever’s cheapest – the main distinction seems to be how long it takes to get to the terminal. Have used weknowlondon electric car transfer recently for this purpose – £25 each way and very reliable.

• jj says:

Best bet is the Sofitel. Their parking charges are similar to Heathrow Long Stay, but the car park is much more convenient. The hotel’s not cheap, though.

If that’s too expensive, most Heathrow hotels have car parks that you can use while you’re staying there. The morning of your flight, drive to the Long Stay car park and get the bus to the terminal. It’s very little slower and probably less hassle than finding a bus from your hotel, and it’s definitely easier on the way home.

• Tariq says:

Been looking at the Sofitel parking deal for a New Year trip with an early morning flight. Is it self-park, keep your keys arrangement? As opposed to hand your keys over and they take your car and parking it in a lay-by on the A4?

• jj says:

Self park, keep your keys. The car park is underground below the hotel, just a few minutes indoor walk from the arrivals area. Couldn’t be easier, but, perhaps for that reason, it can sometimes sell out months in advance.

• Tariq says:

Nice, thanks. I’ll give it another look tonight and book if it’s available.

• Paul says:

Stayed at the T4 CP in late July having made a speculative booking long before flights resumed at the terminal.
    Clean, comfortable and convenient is the best I can say about it. Dinner was underwhelming and service simply poor. As IHG Diamond I got a drink but only after I pushed for it.
    I wouldn’t stay again and not sure I’d stay in the HI which shares every aspect of the CP. You differentiate by turning left or right when you come out of the lift.
    The walkway to T4 is grim and testament to the utter contempt Heathrow has to customers.
    I flew out on the 9am QR but did wander over the night before to witness the hellish scenes in T4. There were vast queues of people, being herded pen to pen before being fed into the security lines and screamed at by Heathrow Airport staff. There was no fast track and so Prince or pauper, first or economy you were in those queues. It was a little better in the morning as the pens weren’t in use.

• Chris says:

Have used cp t4 maybe 5 times now. Last Stayed there 2 weeks ago and would echo this. Check in staff were unfriendly – if I’m standing at a desk use it don’t make me walk and then don’t be silent throughout check In. Even asked me for photo id which I asked then to explain the legal basis for and declined when they couldn’t. Though they did change my room to an outwards facing room.

Service at the restaurant is slow. Food seems to be variable from my stays some is ok. Some is just terrible.

There were no staff outside in the desks at 0630 – because airport hotel who would be checking out in the early hours I guess – as I checked out had to chase them out if the office. I guess all the good arora staff are at the Sofitel.

Agree with others on the tunnel needing a rethink. Besides paint and an even floor it needs more airflow in the summer.

• Brian78 says:

Uh oh. Another London related article, that’s aimed at the majority of people who read this site.

• Chris says:

I find East Midlands airport, whilst close to home, difficult to get to se Asia or Latin American for work. Airport hotels are also useful as I’m trying to only train it to lhr rather than sit on the m1/25

• Rob says:

Technically if you need a hotel you’re probably living elsewhere 🙂

• Brian78 says:

Depends. It takes longer by car to get to Heathrow from parts of east London than, for example, Coventry.

Fair point in general though. Good contribution to levelling up 🙂

• Sammyj says:

As a non-Londoner I actually find this even more helpful, as whether we like it or not (we hate it), we’re stuck with Heathrow for the majority of long-haul flights, and the fact we’re not within an hour of the airport means we do need an airport hotel.

• John T says:

Why haven’t the other 3 reopened? Staff shortages are the only reason I can think of. Demand is booming!

Remember when some Heathrow hotels were designated as quarantine hotels? That seems like a bad dream now.

• Brian78 says:

“Demand is booming!”

Passenger numbers are well below two years ago

• John T says:

Heathrow:
        2019: July and August numbers 110-125k per day.
        2022: Airport capping at 100,000.

Not far off. Without the cap it could be 110k per day right now surely?

• Brian78 says:

Doesn’t matter as far as hotels are concerned. Fewer people travelling = lower demand for their rooms regardless of what it might have been in some hypothetical scenario

• Mark Janes says:

Yes, I imagine a chain with several hotels around the airport might choose to keep one or two closed and redeploy the staff to the others to mitigate the staffing issues.
      Maybe I’m being naive, but I do wonder whether a structured school-leaver programme might go some way towards addressing the staffing problem. Promote it aggressively in the local schools with some slick marketing. Rotate entrants through the roles so everyone gets to do the sh1t jobs as well as the nice ones, but not forever. Offer a basic progression through NVQ qualifications with the option to progress to supervisor training if they’ve got what it takes. A group with the muscle of IHG should be able to handle it.
      I get the feeling employers have just become lazy and rely on ringing an agency and asking for 20 people.

• Andrew. says:

The problem with that is it promotes laziness amongst the “careers teachers” in good schools.

They don’t have to try. They’ll know the top slice will go to University, the mid range will get picked up by local major employer, and the stats will be satisfied.

At SALAS, it felt like 75% of the staff came from DHS. At the Blue Leanie it was the same for one of the Aylesbury Schools.

Neither of those firms exist now, but I can’t see it being any different at Heathrow, it’ll be a form filling exercise. If you went to a specific school, you’ll do.

• Matarredondaaa says:

Probably like the HI Express in Colchester the Government have purchased all rooms indefinitely for the so called ‘boat people’.

• Mike Hunt says:

Gosh aren’t the “boat people” held in secure holding facilities until their application has been been reviewed. Surely they are allowed unsupervised access to public areas.

• DS says:

Is there any along the Elizabeth line?

• Mark Janes says:

Off topic as not IHG, but I’m at the StayCity apartments in Hayes/Harlington next month. Stayed in one in Birmingham and it was fine. Pretty much everything you need to self-cater for a night or two. Right by the station.

• Rob says:

Seen lots of good feedback on that – its on our list of things to look at one day.

• Brian78 says:

Are

• NorthernLass says:

Which is the easiest hotel to transfer to T5 from? I always end up booking the Sofitel because the other options look like so much hassle, especially for an early flight.

• Rob says:

Sofitel.

Oddly, the 2nd easiest is probably the Hilton Paddington.

• NorthernLass says:

Lol, ok I’ll stick with the Sofitel for the time being, especially as it’s currently cheaper than MAN hotels so doesn’t feel like I’m even being gouged that much.
        MAN is something else at the moment!

• NigelthePensioner says:

Hilton Paddington and Sofitel T5 – chalk and cheese!
        Interestingly, I DO enjoy more than one night at a LHR hotel occasionally and so yet again, we are staying for 2 nights at the Sofitel before the Nashville / LA trip coming up shortly. This is part of the Avios / BA AmEx 2 4 1 burning exercise which has seen a value of 4.4p per Avios used! Well pleased! It does mean though that trying to get rid of our Avios is a prolonged ordeal which I am kind of hoping will span te time frame for BA to get back to a decent in flight experience………..oink oink flap flap…..!

• Stuart says:

The thistle with the pod transfer?

• NigelthePensioner says:

Have you seen the state of the Thistle inside? There is a pretty new Premier Inn right across the road! You could still park and use the pod. The best thing is that you can walk to the White Horse for a meal the evening before!

• Michael C says:

Totally agree with White Horse, NtP!
          The Prem also has the T5 bus directly opposite it.

• Yorkshire rich says:

After an article on here and alot of positive we feedback we tried the HGI at Hatton Cross. Very convenient as it was a short walk to the tube station which is one stop away from T2/T3 and two stops from T5

• Scottpat78 says:

I always go for the Hilton Garden Inn on the Eastern Perimeter Road now. Rob wrote an article on it and I’ve been doing it since. I train from Yorkshire down to KX, then Tube to Hatton Cross which is 1 stop prior to LHR. Spend the night at Hilton then 1 tube stop in the morning to the terminal you need. I find the tubes run early – I am normally one one for 6-7AM.