If you had been worrying about how you are going to retain or earn British Airways Executive Club status next year, BA Holidays can help.
BA Holidays has extended its double tier points offer by 11 months.
If you book a ‘flight and hotel’ or ‘flight and car’ package for at least five nights, and travel by 30th September 2023 (was 31st October 2022), you will receive double BA tier points on your flights. Existing bookings count.
We mentioned this deal in our article on the new BA Holidays sale yesterday – click here – but I wanted to run this article today because the news about double tier points was tucked away.
You can find out more on the BA Holidays website here.
Even better, British Airways seems to have found a way of actually posting these bonus tier points. It only took 18 months, but it has finally cracked it. BA Holidays is now saying that you need to wait just 14 days for the extra tier points.
You could get a Silver card from scratch in one trip. For example, booking Manchester to Corfu in Club Europe, you would get (40 + 80 + 80 + 40) x 2 = 480 tier points. You get a holiday and up to 25 months of BA lounge access and free seat selection, depending on the timing of your British Airways year end.
A Business Class package to, say, New York or Dubai would get you 560 tier points under this offer. This is well over the threshold for Silver and half of the way to Gold, currently 1,125 tier points.
How many tier points would you need for BA status?
Until 31st December, these are the reduced thresholds you need to hit:
- Bronze status in BA Executive Club requires 225 tier points
- Silver status in BA Executive Club requires 450 tier points
- Gold status in BA Executive Club requires 1,125 tier points
From 1st January 2023, thresholds return to their pre-covid levels (this happens irrespective of your membership year end):
- Bronze status in BA Executive Club requires 300 tier points
- Silver status in BA Executive Club requires 600 tier points
- Gold status in BA Executive Club requires 1,500 tier points
Remember that you need FOUR BA or Iberia cash flights in your membership year to get promoted, so one return flight to New York wouldn’t be enough unless you were connecting. You’d need a quick hop somewhere else before your status was upgraded.
Two bits of small print to note ….
There are two things to note about the double tier points offer:
- you must book flights which carry a British Airways flight number – codeshare flights with, say, Qatar Airways are acceptable but only if your booking shows a BAXXXX flight number
- whilst your booking must contain at least five nights of hotel or car rental, your overall stay can be longer
The other BA Holidays benefits are still in place
As well as the double tier points offer, BA Holidays is running various other offers which will all stack together:
- booking a ‘Flight and Hotel’ or ‘Flight and Car’ package can be cheaper than booking a flight on its own, since British Airways will often use BA Holidays as a way of quietly selling seats without cutting its headline flight prices
- you earn an additional 1 Avios per £1 for every £1 you spend at BA Holidays
- if you have the British Airways Premium Plus American Express card, you get double Avios via American Express if you use it to pay for your holiday
- you only need to pay a deposit now with the balance not due until a few weeks before departure
I think it is worth having a serious think about how you can use this BA Holidays offer to put you well on your way to Executive Club status next year.
Whilst the current sale only runs to 20th September 2022, you will continue to earn double tier points on all bookings made for travel until 30th September 2023.
You can learn more about the double tier points offer on the BA Holidays website here.
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (October 2022)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!
In February 2022, Barclaycard launched two exciting new Barclaycard Avios Mastercard cards with a bonus of up to 25,000 Avios. You can apply here.
You qualify for the bonus on these cards even if you have a British Airways American Express card:
There are two official British Airways American Express cards with attractive sign-up bonuses:
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points.
EDIT: Until 25th October 2022, there is an exceptionally generous sign-up bonus on The Platinum Card. You will receive 60,000 Membership Rewards points – double the usual amount – and £200 to spend at Amex Travel. You need to spend £6,000 within six months to earn the bonus.
Run your own business?
We recommend Capital On Tap for limited companies. You earn 1 Avios per £1 which is impressive for a Visa card, along with a sign-up bonus worth 10,000 Avios.
You should also consider the British Airways Accelerating Business credit card. This is open to sole traders as well as limited companies and has a 30,000 Avios sign-up bonus.
There are also generous bonuses on the two American Express Business cards, with the points converting at 1:1 into Avios. These cards are open to sole traders as well as limited companies.
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.