Back in March 2022, Qatar Airways adopted Avios as its loyalty currency.
This brought many benefits to UK-based Avios collectors, including the ability to earn and spend Avios on the new airline, hotel and car hire partners listed here.
A secondary benefit was that Qatar Airways generally required fewer Avios for its redemptions than British Airways Executive Club. How few, though, wasn’t particularly clear.
We did know that Australia and New Zealand is a great sweet spot as we wrote here. You need 180,000 Avios return in Business Class compared to 250,000 – 300,000 on the ‘old’ British Airways pricing.
I am in Doha this week and I have got my hands on the Qatar Airways Avios redemption chart for flights from the UK. I don’t think this has been published before.
A few points to note:
- we ignored routes to the Americas and Europe as flying those from the UK via Doha makes no sense due to backtracking
- I wasn’t given taxes and charges figures but these vary depending on which direction you are travelling in and with FX movements from day to day
- if you are flying from London, you can book at these rates on EITHER ba.com or qatarairways.com, as long as you select Qatar Airways flights – the Avios pricing, availability and taxes are meant to be identical across both sites although there are glitches
- if you are flying from Manchester or Edinburgh, ba.com adds a 12,000 to 23,000 Avios (Business Class) each way surcharge based on the route length. You do not pay this surcharge if you book on qatarairways.com. For example, Manchester to Dubai is 57,000 Avios one way in Business Class on ba.com but 45,000 Avios on qatarairways.com. From London, it is 45,000 Avios on both sites.
- for some reason the surcharge does not apply to Manchester to Perth, however, which is 90,000 Avios one way in Business Class. From Edinburgh it is 113,000 Avios one way at ba.com or 90,000 Avios on qatarairways.com. This leads me to believe that this is an IT issue and not a ‘feature’.
- If you are in a British Airways Executive Club Household Account and need to use Avios from both accounts to make a booking, you will have to book at ba.com
- you can book at qatarairways.com from 360 days prior to departure – if you are booking the same flight at ba.com you need to wait until 355 days prior to departure
- if you book on qatarairways.com you may be offered flights at double the figures shown below. This are marked with a green square in the booking engine and represent ‘extra’ Avios availability which Qatar Airways is willing to make available for double Avios. You cannot see these extra seats on ba.com.
- you may find it easier to search for the onward leg first (eg Doha to Bangkok) and then look for the most suitable and available connection. This could be from Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester or Edinburgh, or even – to save on taxes – Amsterdam or elsewhere in Europe.
- Qatar Airways guarantees at least two Business Class seats per flight for Avios redemption
- if you do choose to book at qatarairways.com, this HfP article shows how to link your British Airways Executive Club and Qatar Privilege Club accounts
- you can’t use a British Airways American Express 2-4-1 Companion Voucher on Qatar Airways redemptions at this time
How much are Avios redemptions on Qatar Airways from the UK?
This list is correct as of 7th February 2023.
It excludes the Americas and Europe which, logically, you are unlikely to want to book via a transfer in Doha.
Qatar Airways currently flies to Doha from London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Manchester and Edinburgh. All flights below require an aircraft change in Doha.
Remember that there is a 12,000 to 23,000 Avios each way ‘surcharge’ for Manchester and Edinburgh departures in Business Class if booked on ba.com. This does not apply at qatarairways.com. It may be a BA IT error which will disappear at some point so it is still worth checking on both sites.
We have not included First Class flights in this chart. First Class is only available on the A380 fleet which only operates on selected routes, and Qatar Airways does not guarantee to make any First Class reward space available.
|One-way prices from UK||Economy||Business|
|Dar es Salaam||32,500||65,000|
|Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)||37,500||75,000|
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (September 2023)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!
In February 2022, Barclaycard launched two exciting new Barclaycard Avios Mastercard cards with a bonus of up to 25,000 Avios. You can apply here.
You qualify for the bonus on these cards even if you have a British Airways American Express card:
There are two official British Airways American Express cards with attractive sign-up bonuses:
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points.
Run your own business?
We recommend Capital On Tap for limited companies. You earn 1 Avios per £1 which is impressive for a Visa card, along with a sign-up bonus worth 10,500 Avios.
You should also consider the British Airways Accelerating Business credit card. This is open to sole traders as well as limited companies and has a 30,000 Avios sign-up bonus.
EDIT: Applications for this card are temporarily suspended due to IT issues with the British Airways On Business SME loyalty scheme.
There are also generous bonuses on the two American Express Business cards, with the points converting at 1:1 into Avios. These cards are open to sole traders as well as limited companies.
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.