Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex has cancelled all my cards! Reply To: Amex has cancelled all my cards!

Ladyshopper 109 posts

@Froggee, they don’t seem keen if your only income is a pension (even a gold-plated one!), but if you say you’re employed a few hours a week which brings in a few extra quid, that’s fine, apparently. Perhaps you could be Mrs Froggee’s PA?

I’m currently on an Amex break, I took stock of my cards recently and I literally only have the HH Barclaycard and another minor one with a 0% balance transfer. All my others are SUPPs.

@Ladyshopper
, I am in a similar position to you as I was part-time for half my service, but haven’t had this problem. Are you in a position to do even a few hours per week which would push your income to, say the Gold card threshold? After my 2 year break I’d really like another BAPP, so need to find a part time job which will make up the minimum income requirement without affecting out travel plans, which is going to be fun!!

Also part-time for the majority of my 16.5 years service (although varying in hours from 30-34 at different points), so have that double whammy! I think my pension is around £11k, so it would be more than a few hours a week needed unfortunately. And health wise I’m not really up to working either. I do get a small amount of ESA on top of that, which fortunately protects my NI contributions, but was a right old battle getting that.

I know rules change, Amex have to be careful etc, but it’s just a little frustrating when household income wise, nothing has changed for us at all (in fact it’s probably gone up a bit). Our bank account is a joint one, the only thing that is separate is things like ISAs to maximise use of them (only have one each, so nothing that I can claim adds enough to my income to make it up to the minimum) and premium bonds.

If I can ever get on top of my health issues enough to work a few hours, then I’d be very happy to to be honest. Feel like quite a useless part of society the majority of the time.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.