Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• gtellez 162 posts

I thought that with the new 241 it was possible to book ex-EU flights. I have tried to search for flights departing madrid (and then a long haul) but BA website says that BA doesn’t fly that route so it is not possible to book it. Does anyone know how to do it? It happens that I have to go to Spain before the trip I’m planning and ideally I would like to save in taxes. Thanks!

MattB 261 posts

What route are you trying to book?

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

The IT can be a bit glitchy – it’s possible that you could book by calling BA, but people have found that the calculation of the surcharges can be both advantageous and disadvantageous by doing this.
    Also check the dates and times you’re entering to make sure you’re giving a long enough connection time, or not too long. Use the “stopover” facility as sometimes this makes it possible to find a route that otherwise results in “computer says no”.

meta 1,435 posts

Check legs separately. Sometimes when the stopover is too long it throws error.

ChrisC 956 posts

Wouks be helpful if you have full daursiks if the route.

If the long haul sector isn’t on BA then I do t think you can use a 2-4-1

yonasl 953 posts

I think the only way to use a ex-UK 2-4-1 voucher is on a 1 way somewhere to UK. The voucher needs to be be use don a BA flight (no codeshare) so you cannot book MAD-NYC with Iberia.

If what you are trying to do is MAD-LHR-NYC-LHR (since BA flights all sectors then I cannot comment)

gtellez 162 posts

I was trying to book Madrid-London-St Lucia (round trip). I don’t mind finishing the trip in London or Madrid again. But ideally wanted to start in Madrid to avoid some taxes (and because I will be there from another trip anyway). I will try to look for the indiviso flights later (or even one-way) or call BA to see if they can book it. Thanks!

yonasl 953 posts

I was trying to book Madrid-London-St Lucia (round trip). I don’t mind finishing the trip in London or Madrid again. But ideally wanted to start in Madrid to avoid some taxes (and because I will be there from another trip anyway). I will try to look for the indiviso flights later (or even one-way) or call BA to see if they can book it. Thanks!

Let us know what you find out. I do spend some time in Madrid too so would be a powerful option if posible.

memesweeper 1,252 posts

It is definitely possible to ex-EU a new type companion voucher. I have one and have booked an itinery. There are a few gotchas:

– the city-pairs for origin and destination must be for sale for cash — in the cash of MAD UVF, they are
    – the connecting flights need to be on BA planes, not, in the case of MAD to LHR, Iberia nor a BA codeshare

I have no idea why what you are looking for will not show, but check MAD LHR first to ensure the dates you want have the required Avios seats available on an actual BA plane.

gtellez 162 posts

I think the reason is that BA only operates Mad-LHR but the flights to UVF departs from LGW… I wouldn’t mind changing airports, so I will try calling BA to check if they can book it online. There are seats available in both routes.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.