Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 241 (new style) companion voucher redeemed, but still showing as usable?

• Scottpat78 243 posts

Hi. I recently used a new 241 earned in April for US flights in the 2023 summer holidays. I booked the outbound online, then called up last week to add the return. This was all done and the flights are ticketed and in my MMB. Both legs utilised the correct Avios for the voucher applying.

The companion voucher is still showing in my account, and if I try to use it for a dummy booking it is letting me.

Any else experience this? Did it come off your account eventually?
    I don’t really have another use for it right now, so don’t plan to use it. I’m thinking to call BA and let them know, as it seems the right thing to do.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Also if you cancel a flight with the new style voucher you may not get it back 🙁

This is BA IT. It’s a mess. By all means try and report the error but every time I’ve done this in the past I’ve been met with laughter and a shrug but the BA staffer I’ve spoken to. They are well aware the systems are shot-full of bugs and have zero interest or incentive in reporting them internally and then following up. I suspect they have been beaten into submission by an appalling IT operation.

As an IT professional this drives me wild, and I can’t help myself but complain sometimes. But it is essentially utterly futile.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

And if you’ve not already flown them, check the flights associated with your “used” voucher have actually been ticketed. Otherwise you could be in a world of pain come check-in.

Scottpat78 243 posts

Thanks Memesweeper – as a fellow IT professional, this also defies logic for me (anyone knows this can be tested prior to release and if reported post release, resolved), but I also get it will be on a backlog somewhere with far more pressing matters ahead of it.

Both legs are fully ticketed now, and have the correct baggage allowances etc. Both have the 125- prefix. I’ve selected seats also for both legs.

strickers 651 posts

When you say ticketed, do you mean that 125- ticket numbers are showing or that the flights are showing in MMB?

Scottpat78 243 posts

Both, I can select both flights in MMB and both display the 125- ticket reference.

When you say ticketed, do you mean that 125- ticket numbers are showing or that the flights are showing in MMB?

panesai1 1 post

+1 Scottpat78. Exact same thing happened to me in the last few days, also with a return flight booked to US. I also did the same as you , booking outbound first, then adding th return a few weeks later when released. Tried to call BA as it confused me, but apparently the Customer services is so busy that the line cuts off after the auto-message advises me to call back later. I googled and found this forum, so am now reassured that it’s not just me!! Thanks for posting. Will sit tight and hope it sorts itself out. If not, I may try to cheekily use it again… Let’s see if they notice that 😉

BLT 52 posts

Same has happened to me this weekend adding a US return to the outbound 241. The voucher is back in my account, however, the second flight is not ticketed (also didn’t receive an email, which I usually do). However, flight is not until next year so happy to wait and see how it pans out.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

… and in my counter example the Avios history clearly shows “companion voucher refund” and it can’t be used 🤷 until it needs to be used I’ll hold off on another futile call to BA in the hope someone else resolves the backend issues that are causing this.

alphapapa 2 posts

Also in the same boat… keen to see how this pans out! Booked the outbound LHR to DBX online using a 241.. added the return via the phone, Avios history shows the balances coming and going, but the 241 voucher is still visible and appears usable when making a dummy booking.

RyanB 29 posts

Anyone have any update on this if they can use their voucher a second time? I have recently used mine and it’s still showing as available so hoping I can use it again

meta 1,439 posts

Have you flown? I’d wait until then before booking anything else.

alphapapa 2 posts

Does anyone have any further info on this? It’s still showing as available..!

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

There’s definitely something odd going on with BA’s IT at the moment. I cancelled a 241 booking and the voucher didn’t come back so I chased it up via chat and they returned it manually so I could re-use it. Then a few weeks later the original (I assume) voucher appeared in my account, with a different serial number (I compared it with my new booking as I couldn’t understand where it had appeared from).
    I wouldn’t be able to use this “ghost” voucher before it expires so it’s a moot point, but I would be rather nervous that BA would realise it was a duplicate and cancel any booking I made with it!

JDB 4,378 posts

The processes around vouchers seem very manual so sometimes they forget to take the voucher. It may all be fine until any changes are made at which point it’s quite likely to get picked up.

RangersPilot 5 posts

I’m still waiting for a 2-4-1 to be re-ticketed after adding a return leg to an original one-way booking a few days ago. The companion voucher is still showing in my BA account as unused. Maybe BA is doing a 2-4-1 on the vouchers themselves! 😉

ringingup 178 posts

@RangersPilot Have BA re-ticketed?

lilyjaneee 6 posts

Has anyone successfully tried to use their companion voucher a second time? Mine is still showing in my account as usable, even though I’ve already redeemed and flown a set of flights using the voucher!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.