Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors £50 back from £200 Amex spend

• JM1987 11 posts

Will this work on an advance booking via the app/website?

Would be paying now, so before 30th June cut off, but actual stay would be in July…

JM1987 11 posts

Also, apologies, this would probably have been better Under amex category

Abdul 69 posts

Hi JM,

Should work OK.

Tariq 79 posts

Yes, all of mine have been advance bookings and triggers just fine.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

People seem to have success calling the hotel and begging to be charged if it doesn’t happen automatically.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Didn’t work with an ihg hotel. Both Reservations and Front desk refused to charge the card. Had to cancel booking and change to a non-refundable one which triggered the offer immediately.

John 1,000 posts

Well this is Hilton not IHG. And if a hotel refused to take my money I’d refuse to stay there.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I’ve used the offer on 2 cards with advance bookings and in both cases payment has been taken immediately and the Amex credit appeared within a few days.

can 506 posts

Two notes.

I used it in Italy at a Doubletree over the Jubilee. My Amex statement issued the refund as “double three”. I thought it was hilarious.

In the meantime I stayed at DT Stratford-upon-Avon that charged my card as “Victoria” hotel. I assumed they may have joined the chain recently and kept their old credit card machines, not sure. But I felt that may not have triggered the cash back.

aso40 54 posts

Yes, I have made three advance purchase bookings at different hotels for July and all credited. This seems to be more reliable in the app now since PSD II and the additional authentication required – it seems to automatically charge right away, rather than wait for the hotel to process it.

slidey 287 posts

Yes, I have made three advance purchase bookings at different hotels for July and all credited. This seems to be more reliable in the app now since PSD II and the additional authentication required – it seems to automatically charge right away, rather than wait for the hotel to process it.

What was automatically charging right away? Were these non-cancellable bookings or cancellable and then contact hotel to take payment?

aso40 54 posts

What was automatically charging right away? Were these non-cancellable bookings or cancellable and then contact hotel to take payment?

Yes, non-cancellable Advance Purchase or stay Longer and Save rates.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Jay-Marc 12 posts

In the meantime I stayed at DT Stratford-upon-Avon that charged my card as “Victoria” hotel. I assumed they may have joined the chain recently and kept their old credit card machines, not sure. But I felt that may not have triggered the cash back.

It hasn’t been called the Stratford Victoria since 2008 when it became just Stratford Hotel. Came under Hilton in 2018.

can 506 posts

My Amex statement still says “Stratford Victoria Hotel”.
    Do you think that would trigger the cash back?

Jay-Marc 12 posts

Mine did last year, x2.

BajiNahid 169 posts

Hi guys, is this cumulative spend? Want to book a night in London and wondering if it is cumulative. Secondly I know its check out spend however has anyone managed to pay in advance and still manage to trigger the cashback?

Thanks

Benilyn 150 posts

Paid in advanced (non refundable pre paid rate) and triggered.

ee 48 posts

Have used this iteration of the offer twice and both were based on cumulative spend at two hotels. Doubletree London Docklands + Doubletree Milton Keynes and Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace Place + Hilton Birmingham Metropole.

On the offer last summer I successful got Doubletree Edinburgh and Doubletree Dunblane Hydro to pre charge stays simply by calling them up.

John 1,000 posts

Still only a minority of hotels in Europe which have implemented charging via the Hilton website. If this happens it just indicates they don’t trust guests to make bookings with valid information

This could be annoying if the preauth would take you over your credit limit even though you would have paid it off by the time of the stay

The cashback isn’t implemented via the hotel’s merchant name, it will credit as long as you stayed there even if under an old name.

Very pleased with my results this time round – managed to spend only £830 for £200 back, and had there been no offer I would still have paid around £800, so it’s a real profit of £170 (if I tried a bit harder I could have called up and split some of the prepayments over two cards and got it very close to £800)

TeamPlat 6 posts

I tried ringing up Doubletree Chester to charge my card now in advance of a Semi-Flex booking in August. They said they were unable to charge my card on file so have sent me a secure payment link beginning https://s[dot]360[dot]com.

Upon clicking the link it takes me to a site where I can input my card details and billing address. The amount is pre-populated. Has anyone else had this experience? I’m guessing paying via this payment link probably won’t track to qualify for the Amex offer but would love if someone has experience to prove otherwise.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,084 posts

I tried ringing up Doubletree Chester to charge my card now in advance of a Semi-Flex booking in August. They said they were unable to charge my card on file so have sent me a secure payment link beginning https://s[dot]360[dot]com.

Upon clicking the link it takes me to a site where I can input my card details and billing address. The amount is pre-populated. Has anyone else had this experience? I’m guessing paying via this payment link probably won’t track to qualify for the Amex offer but would love if someone has experience to prove otherwise.

Hotels often use such secure sites to collect your payment details. They should then charge as normal via the hotel’s own system, the website merely playing the role of a secure means to gather your card details and authorisation for them to use it.

John 1,000 posts

I think it will track too – you may as well try it and let us know

Tariq 79 posts

Not Hilton, but Hyatt. Using the payment link that they emailed me, worked to trigger the Amex offer.

Tariq 79 posts

Hotels often use such secure sites to collect your payment details. They should then charge as normal via the hotel’s own system, the website merely playing the role of a secure means to gather your card details and authorisation for them to use it.

Indeed, not Hilton but Hyatt – Amex offer triggered fine.

TeamPlat 6 posts

Thanks for the encouraging responses guys. Paid using the link and is currently pending on my statement as “DT Chester”. Will feed back with an update.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.