Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors £50 back from £200 Amex spend

• Bill 169 posts

I booked a Hampton in the UK, pre paid nightly room rate £120. I asked them to charge me an additional £80, so that I trigger this offer, but they’re saying that I can pay in the hotel when I’m there ! Somewhat frustrating.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Book yourself another pre-paid night away somewhere? This will trigger the offer. I booked 2 nights in Newcastle and one in Manchester for just over £200, which pretty much made the 3rd night free once the £50 credited.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    John 1,000 posts

I booked a Hampton in the UK, pre paid nightly room rate £120. I asked them to charge me an additional £80, so that I trigger this offer, but they’re saying that I can pay in the hotel when I’m there ! Somewhat frustrating.

Why are you trying to pay £150 instead of £120?

Bill 169 posts

£120 + £80 = £200

£120 room
    £80 to spend in the restaurant / bar

Results in £50 credit on my amex, therefore net spend £150

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

I knew you meant that! Was there not a DBB option or similar rate which would have taken you over the £200?

Bill 169 posts

I knew you meant that! Was there not a DBB option or similar rate which would have taken you over the £200?

No

slidey 290 posts

I havent booked a non-cancellable room since pre-covid, but I dont think I ever had had a non-cancellable charged until I got to the hotel, has something changed? Everyone seems to be getting charged right away now? 🙂

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Hilton is definitely charging for non-refundable rates atm, IHG seems to not be doing.

John 1,000 posts

For me nothing has changed since 10 years ago. Some hotels are still charging 0-1 days after booking, others a week after, others 0-1 days before arrival, some on check-in and some not until check-out on prepaid rates.

Hamptons are basic hotels, you can’t charge to your room and don’t earn points on any spend. They aren’t going to keep track of you having “£80 credit” to spend between now and the stay. Most don’t even like having a tab open at the bar. Though there are a few Hamptons where you can buy something like £20 credit as part of the room rate for £15 or so – but then the computer would say £20 credit at check in, they wouldn’t have an option to enter other numbers.

aso40 54 posts

I havent booked a non-cancellable room since pre-covid, but I dont think I ever had had a non-cancellable charged until I got to the hotel, has something changed? Everyone seems to be getting charged right away now? 🙂

Yes, the payment standards changed so Hilton updated the app – it now asks for the two-factor authentication (i.e. the code via text from your card provider) when you book the non-cancellable rate, so charges right away. Some report that not all hotels use this yet (especially in Europe), but the UK hotels seem pretty consistent.

Bill 169 posts

Yes, the payment standards changed so Hilton updated the app – it now asks for the two-factor authentication (i.e. the code via text from your card provider) when you book the non-cancellable rate, so charges right away. Some report that not all hotels use this yet (especially in Europe), but the UK hotels seem pretty consistent.

The pre paid rate on my Hampton reservation wasn’t charged immediately. After one week they phoned and asked for my security code off the card. They them took a further two days to charge me.

WillPS 194 posts

Hamptons are basic hotels, you can’t charge to your room and don’t earn points on any spend. They aren’t going to keep track of you having “£80 credit” to spend between now and the stay. Most don’t even like having a tab open at the bar. Though there are a few Hamptons where you can buy something like £20 credit as part of the room rate for £15 or so – but then the computer would say £20 credit at check in, they wouldn’t have an option to enter other numbers.

This isn’t universally true, Blackpool Hampton allow you to charge to your room and earn Honors. I think they even have rates which include £20/30 room credit (which are always at least a touch more than £20/30 more than the normal rate for whatever reason).

Bill 169 posts

Corrrect WillPS.

And, it’s actually the Blackppol Hampton that I am referring to in my posts above.

TeamPlat 6 posts

Thanks for the encouraging responses guys. Paid using the link and is currently pending on my statement as “DT Chester”. Will feed back with an update.

No luck. Amex saw it as an online transaction so wouldn’t apply the credit.

Abdul 69 posts

Since a couple of years Hampton stays earn points on incidentals.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.