Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• AL 579 posts

I am due to fly LHR-SEA via JFK in the coming weeks. Pricing and metal are the same (AA 77W vs BA 777), and I’ve decided to cheat on VS in order to get my BA silver renewed through the TP earnings on this trip. Which Premium product would you fly? I’m used to flying VS Premium, and AA looks most comparable from what I can tell.

masaccio 722 posts

BA since you have a 50:50 chance of decent service. With AA you have 100% of crappy service. Everything else is pretty much the same in WTP.

Richie 990 posts

I prefer the BA seat. The AA seat feels narrower. I thoroughly dislike all B777s would avoid them.

ChrisC 956 posts

I’d take the AA seat over the BA one (you’d earn the same TPs but fewer avios but that’s not the end of the world)

I would double check that the actual cabin you’d be in on the JFK-SEA leg is proper PE and not AA’s Main Cabin Select just to be sure you are getting what you think you’ll be getting.

Richie 990 posts

I’ve experienced both AA’s and BA’s PE seats. With AA the seat has solid arm rests on both sides, irrespective of where you sit. On BA, seats away from the bulkhead row have a foldable armrest on one side, the seat feels wider and more comfortable for me.
    The BA seat also seems to recline a bit more.

yonasl 954 posts

A thing to also take into account is that when returning to LHR with AA you won’t be able to claim EU/UK compensation for any delays. Just flew to LAX with BA and the person next to me was used to VS premium. She thought the VS seat reclined more (numbers say it is the same and we were on the bulkhead so maybe that changed her perception). Meal was similar and she was pleased but the before landing snack was horrendous (as always with BA on premium) and you get nothing to eat other than that.

PGW 94 posts

I’ve experienced both AA’s and BA’s PE seats. With AA the seat has solid arm rests on both sides, irrespective of where you sit. On BA, seats away from the bulkhead row have a foldable armrest on one side, the seat feels wider and more comfortable for me.
    The BA seat also seems to recline a bit more.

On the AA 777’s other than in the bulkhead the aisle armrests can be pushed down to be level with the seat.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    AL 579 posts

I’ve experienced both AA’s and BA’s PE seats. With AA the seat has solid arm rests on both sides, irrespective of where you sit.

The seats look the same as the VS Premium seats, so I’m used to this. I’ve booked AA tin now, leaving on a 787, back on a 777 (because routing has changed slightly). Duly noted to take snacks – thank you!

How many TPs can I expect on AA domestic? I have two domestic in MC Extra (ORD-SEA and SEA-DFW). The BA TP Calculator reckons I’ll get 0 in PE when booked in to L, which I find hard to believe when the same tool tells me that Economy gets at least some.

PGW 94 posts

10 TP’s for each segment.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    AL 579 posts

10 TP’s for each segment.

Thanks!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.