Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Capital on Tap ‘Account Not Approved’

• B_itchingtotravel 23 posts

I’m having the WORST experience with CoT after applying through HfP for the bonus avios. I’m even starting to think I’m being scammed for identity theft. After jumping through ALL of their hoops to apply, I got my card, logged in to activate it only to realise the account wasn’t ‘approved’. I chatted online, then they told me to call. I called them to be told they needed to Verify my identity AGAIN. And if I hadn’t called, would they have even contacted me?

They’ve taken my annual fee, but over one week later, refuse to approve my account. After nearly daily phonecalls, I’ve provided verification info 3 times, which they say has not been approved, despite me following their instructions TO THE LETTER. They won’t tell me which information is failing. Just getting fobbed off by customer service repeating “we’re sorry for any inconvenience; please wait another 2 working days”. Never before have I had to supply a copy of my passport (!) and a selfie to open a credit card! My details are probably on the dark-web somewhere. They won’t even provide details of why they’re asking for my passport/photos. Been holding off spending as I’ll struggle to hit the target as it is; let along with this delay. Currently waiting another 2 days for them to send ANOTHER link to verify my identity. Of course, it’s now the weekend.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

You should have dropped us an email, we could have had someone take ownership of it. Still can, if you’re still having issues.

Those sort of ID checks are fairly normal for neo-banks these days.

JerrySignfield 101 posts

Similar experience to you, all docs sent then, then declined for no reason, then the money was taken days later…

B_itchingtotravel 23 posts

You should have dropped us an email, we could have had someone take ownership of it. Still can, if you’re still having issues.

Those sort of ID checks are fairly normal for neo-banks these days.

I may just do that, thanks.. New reason given is because it needs to come from my personal email address (!) which they never asked for during the sign up. Sounds like another excuse.

The Urbanite 117 posts

The same thing happened to me when I first signed up, was a trial sorting it out.

Capital on Tap are phenomenally disorganised where it comes to KYC and document checks – you submit documents within a day of them requesting them then they take days or weeks to respond. They “lose” documents sent to them via email and go around in circles resetting the whole process by asking for documents they have already been sent.

I’m used to KYC checks, but Capital on Tap have a very unusual way of handling them. Something to keep in mind if you intend to rely on them for funding – if they do need to carry out checks, it can take several weeks while your account is blocked.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    B_itchingtotravel 23 posts

Just to update, I am now using the card. Eventually (and I think only with kind intervention through Rob’s contact), the account was approved. Of course, then my card wouldn’t activate and there was further struggle there, due to the same issues. Anyway, I did get an email saying that my window to achieve the bonus points would be extended. Of course this isn’t actually showing on the account, but I should be able to make the target regardless.

CarpalTravel 362 posts

They apparently forgot to send out my card. It took them 3 weeks (including a prod) to receive anything. Not an impressive start.

True Blue 9 posts

I applied twice and on both cases my application was declined. My company has been trading 20 years, growing revenue and profitability. Accounts are up-to-date and filed quickly. I have lived at same address 40 years, very little debt and good savings. NO idea why my application was refused, I would have thought my business was the type of business they would be looking for, long established, profitable and no bad debt ever.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.