Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Advice please – cancelled Finnair award ticket

• DonLee 214 posts

Thanks in advance.

I have avios award tickets booked on Finnair from MAN-BKK for this summer to Thailand. Today the flight is cancelled. What options do I before pick up phone?

Should I contact BA or Finnair? My preferred option is switch to Qatar but that would be unlikely I think. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

You have full re-routing rights under EU/UK261, tons of information on here. Read up before speaking to the airline or making any decisions. I think you’ll need to contact the booking agent initially.

SamG 1,644 posts

Which bit is cancelled?

Few options – in order of ease

1) find flights that have Avios availaiblity. if a good option then call and ask to be rebooked
    2) find Finnair flights that have any availability. Ask BA to ask Finnair via “oneworld liason desk” to get you rebooked
    3) as NorthernLass says – you have full EU / UK protection. Ask BA to enforce this with Finnair, try contacting Finnair yourself
    4) if refused – pursue via MCOL – issue proceedings to BA & Finnair

ChrisC 956 posts

@SamG

If the airline cancels there does not have to be reward availability. That only matters if the passenger cancels and wants to re book

AY is an EU carrier so makes no difference which leg has been cancelled as all are covered

Wnat @DonLee needs to do is investitate alternative routings / dates that suit and then put those to BA who will then deal with AY

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    DonLee 214 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Called BA just now and offered Finnair flight either 1 day earlier or 1 day later than original date. I was just about to accept but asked if there is any other option on the same day. After a few minutes wait, a helpful agent switched us to Qatar on the same day and much better time. I was surprised how easy that was.

SamG 1,644 posts

@SamG

If the airline cancels there does not have to be reward availability. That only matters if the passenger cancels and wants to re book

AY is an EU carrier so makes no difference which leg has been cancelled as all are covered

Wnat @DonLee needs to do is investitate alternative routings / dates that suit and then put those to BA who will then deal with AY

Whilst it is ultimately your right as an ex UK flight, BA is only the agent here so they can only rebook per the policy of the carrier. We see a lot of stories here / on Flyertalk with other airlines on a BA plated ticket where this is difficult to resolve (and on Star Alliance it can be even more difficult as they don’t have the Oneworld desk to liaise via

Glad this work out simply for you!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    DonLee 214 posts

Just noticed the ticket issue for new flight is I class which I thought was for cash booking.

SamG 1,644 posts

@SamG

whilst it is ultimately your right as an ex UK flight, BA is only the agent here so they can only rebook per the policy of the carrier. We see a lot of stories here / on Flyertalk with other airlines on a BA plated ticket where this is difficult to resolve (and on Star Alliance it can be even more difficult as they don’t have the Oneworld desk to liaise via

Glad this work out simply for you!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.