Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Aer Lingus YQ now much higher?

• wiivile 6 posts

One of my favorite Avios redemptions was low-YQ economy transatlantic flights on Aer Lingus, i.e., JFK-DUB. The total tax on the JFK-DUB, one-way, used to be generally $34 (+ 13,000 Avios).

After calling BAEC recently (as Aer Lingus isn’t available to be booked online), they priced this route to be $164.80. Are low-tax Aer Lingus redemptions now a thing of the past? Even flying JFK-LHR on BA metal has lower tax than this in Y.

I don’t think Aer Lingus can be booked via Iberia, so I haven’t tried there.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    davefl 1,220 posts

You don’t need to suffer BAEC the phone line for that you can book it on Avios.com 13,000 + £86.40

wiivile 6 posts

You don’t need to suffer BAEC the phone line for that you can book it on Avios.com 13,000 + £86.40

It was always lower booking via phone with BAEC for some reason… https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/18/how-to-save-tax-on-us-avios-redemptions-by-flying-with-aer-lingus/

Joecooljoe 49 posts

Have no data but this might but a poor agent if they have to calculate it manually. Huaca…

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

A bigger issue is the lack of Business Class seating via Avios.com.

There have been other reports of tax hikes for people doing the BA route,

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.