Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amazon Prime fraud on BA Premium Plus Amex

• BJ 657 posts

My parents have both had this. Suspect amazon at fault. Amex declined subsequent amazon prime payments I think and had no problem since. They can still shop at amazon and charge to amex no problem. There has been nothing from amazon about declined payments either. All very strange.

Steven 80 posts

I had this very shortly after a stay at a Hilton Hotel in London last year. I had just assumed it was one of the staff but after reading this thread, does sound more likely that the culprit is within Amazon.

AndyGWP 274 posts

Interesting… I had this on my (cancelled) BAPP last week too.

Pointsamateur 72 posts

I’d not revisited this thread for a while. Interesting to see several other very similar experiences now. A few days ago I had a warning email from Amex about another declined charge of £0.99 on the old BAPP, and normally the old £8.99 charge was always 24th of the month, so I expect I might get a warning about that as well. The very new cards experiencing it give a great indication that it’s not just historical.

I know it’s not causing me any problems, but it’s very annoying that Amazon will not take instructions from me, regarding my payment card, even if the account apparently using it is not in my name. If I say the payments should stop, that’s all they should need.

cinereus 161 posts

I had this exact same issue. Never had Prime, never will have Prime.

Multiple calls to Amazon got me nowhere as they claimed there were no accounts with that card registered. Amex were adamant it was from Amazon.

After about the sixth call to Amazon it finally stopped.

sayling 50 posts

I know it’s not causing me any problems, but it’s very annoying that Amazon will not take instructions from me, regarding my payment card, even if the account apparently using it is not in my name. If I say the payments should stop, that’s all they should need.

Makes sense – but what if it wasn’t you that was asking for your payments to stop?

LioWyn 1 post

My current Amex card has recently been used to pay for someone else’s Prime membership, Amazon even confirmed the name of the person using my card, then they sent me an email to tell me that there was no unusual activity on my account. Amazon refused to do anything as I am not the account holder (the fraudster) and they will only take instructions from the namers fraudster concerning the use of MY card on HIS account – absolute shambles – I now need to go back over months of Amex statements – work out what was mine and what was his then report the fraud to Amex for refunds, quite unbelievable!!

Cranzle 273 posts

My current Amex card has recently been used to pay for someone else’s Prime membership, Amazon even confirmed the name of the person using my card, then they sent me an email to tell me that there was no unusual activity on my account. Amazon refused to do anything as I am not the account holder (the fraudster) and they will only take instructions from the namers fraudster concerning the use of MY card on HIS account – absolute shambles – I now need to go back over months of Amex statements – work out what was mine and what was his then report the fraud to Amex for refunds, quite unbelievable!!

It’s not unbelievable. Normal course of action is that you report it to Amex, not try and get the retailer to refund your card.

Kev I 4 posts

I had a safe key notification about an attempted 8.99 charge to Amazon on my current card in the early hours of this morning.Just called them and they cancelled my card,I’m impressed that the new card number appears straight away in google pay.

Richard Peters 171 posts

Call me old fashioned but I find it unbelievable that you don’t check your monthly Amex statement!

Eggtastico 43 posts

I had similar a while back. It slipped through as I order lots on amazon & it was only when reconcilling my statement against my amazon account orders I noticed.
    Refunded without any issue, as well as a new card issued.
    It is down to Amazon & how they do no checks once a CC number has been entered.
    Don’t even check the card is registered to the same name/address as the prime account for example – as Amazon will not pay the small fee required!

Andrew. 480 posts

I had a safe key notification about an attempted 8.99 charge to Amazon on my current card in the early hours of this morning.Just called them and they cancelled my card,I’m impressed that the new card number appears straight away in google pay.

Someone’s going to be disappointed when they find that the Disney Channel has stopped working on their Prime account.

davidl 30 posts

I’ve just had an email telling me Amex Pay has been deactivated on my Amex card in the app- and to call if it wasn’t me.
    Well- it wasn’t me. The card is registered with Google Wallet only. I’ve had a look in the app and couldn’t even see how to link up to Amex Pay. (Perhaps because it’s already linked to Google)

Admittedly, I havent used with Google wallet for some time AND my statement has also just been produced, so I’m wondering if it’s an automated “opt-out” after 90? days.

Amex pay has been removed across all cards

MichaelR 37 posts

Just had this happen to me too. Caught it immediately when the push notification came through, as I pay for my Prime Subscription annually using a different card, so £8.99 to Amazon Prime on my BAPP immediately registered as fraudulent. Card cancelled and replacement sent out by Amex.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.