Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Ambassador worth it?

• Graham-Walsh 61 posts

Family (2 adults, 2 kids) need to be in Dublin next July and hotel prices across all chains are 3x the rate in say Feb.

The only decent looking offer is the IC at 66k point a night. Would it be worth paying for AMB status to get a complementary weekend night. This could then cover the cost of 1 night which is currently €417 cash

After checking, it seems I can’t book a family room on points so I’ll need to pay cash (book 2 rooms) Could I use that voucher for the 2nd night or does points availability have to be there?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,075 posts

AMB rates are for cash rates only.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

You could use the Ambassador BOGOF to book 2 nights in the size of room you need, then book a 3rd night on points. Hotels usually don’t have an issue keeping you in the same room so this could work for your family. I’ve done this with suites in Boston and Washington DC, contacted the hotels as soon as I’ve made the booking and they both amended it straightaway to show we had the suite for all 3 nights.

Apologies, it looks as though you only need 2 nights, but this could work for you in future. But you could book 2 nights on points and ask if you can pay to upgrade to a family room – sometimes they don’t charge for this for status members! It didn’t work for a reader at Park Lane though, so there’s no guarantee.

SGJNI 69 posts

The Ambassador rate is not the same as the cash (Best Available) rate and as far as I know, it will only cover one room. If the Ambassador rate is available for a suitable room, book and you will not pay for the second night of your stay. At $200 for Ambassador you are nearly halfway to paying for a second room , which at €417 isn’t a bad rate for the IC Dublin. Will you have any more stays to use the benefit of Ambassador for the rest of the year?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Easy way to check – go to interecontinental.com/ambweekend, plug in your dates and see what comes up. You may see suites, for eg, so you could all be together.

You can book without even buying AMB, letting you buy it nearer your stay date and so maximise the validity period.

Remember the SECOND night is free, it’s not an average. May work in your favour, may not.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.