Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex – burnt for another two years?

• andiron 66 posts

I’ve had free BA Amex in March 2021 (I thought I had Nectar one though..)
    Applied recently for the BA Premium Plus, got approved, just so next day I could realise my mistake. Managed to cancel it without paying any fees but..
    Does this mean I’m unable to apply for any bonus offering Amex for another two years?

JDB 4,335 posts

Yes, but I guess you could try asking them very nicely, saying you made a terrible mistake, but probably a very long shot. Otherwise, I guess the lesson is that if you are in the churning game you need to get the admin right and not cut things too fine – someone here reported applying about two days early after waiting two years, so that will now be a four year gap…

andiron 66 posts

Kind of tried asking them politely, the lady on the phone while cancelling my card clearly mentioned the 2 years rule and that she can’t do much about it. She did have a giggle about my case in the background 😀

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

What I would do in this regrettable situation is earn your 241 as quickly as possible then you have at least salvaged something from the error, then cancel and re-start the 2 year wait. The voucher can easily be worth 150k avios so not a bad consolation prize. And make a note of the date!

WillPS 194 posts

You can still earn a Platinum bonus too (once 2 years since you last had MR has elapsed). In the circumstances I’d look to take that bonus next time they have one then go completely fallow for 2 years before starting with your ‘any’ Amex (Nectar/Mariott as things stand today but who knows in 2 years), then BAPP and Platinum in either order, then fallow again…

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

What I would do in this regrettable situation is earn your 241 as quickly as possible then you have at least salvaged something from the error, then cancel and re-start the 2 year wait. The voucher can easily be worth 150k avios so not a bad consolation prize. And make a note of the date!

Good thinking.

JDB 4,335 posts

Good thinking.

It was good thinking, save that the advice was written in the present tense when the OP had advised that he had already cancelled his BAPP to avoid incurring any fees!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.