Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex charity matching campaign

• wookie192 74 posts

Just noticed in the offers tab there’s a new “offer” called AMEX Charity Matching Campaign.

For every £1+ spent in store at Marie Curie, Shelter and Sue Ryder they’ll match up to a total of £5,000 per charity.

I feel this is a little poor from AMEX for a few reasons:

1) Why should amex holders NEED to opt-in to this for amex to match the spend. It’s for CHARITY, they should be doing this “campaign” without it’s members even having to opt-in.
    2) You may think that the upto £5,000 per charity is per person. It’s in total. So if I was to donate/spend £5k at Shelter and someone else does the same. The maximum amex will donate to Shelter is £5k even though £10k has been spent/donated. £5k is a little low for the size of AMEX.

What are your thoughts on this, to me it’s not very “charitable” the way it’s being done.

Skywalker 700 posts

@wookie192 – Some of us don’t have the offer/offer terms – would you mind posting them?

wookie192 74 posts

@wookie192 – Some of us don’t have the offer/offer terms – would you mind posting them?

Even more wrong that their “charity campaign” doesn’t involve everyone.
    Here are the screenshots:

wookie192 74 posts

That to me makes their “charity campaign’ even worse since it’s not involving everyone.

Below are the screenshots:

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

These are shop transactions, it won’t work against direct donations.

£5k is very poor though.

Andrew. 482 posts

It’s part of the customer engagement experience to opt-in. No different to you choosing your charity on M&S Sparks or which bucket to pop your token in at Waitrose.

£5,000 is still £5,000 to a charity, it might even get people who wouldn’t normally trek through a Charity Shop to pop in.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.