Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex decided to cancel all my cards

• Lady London 2,030 posts

Did they close your accounts immediately? May think to move my large amount of points out just in case anything happens.

it sounds like proactive moving out of points is a good idea on one more card issuer now – Amex. Added to anyone still with an operational IHG card of either type, from Creation.

This is quite worrying, about a further potential bvgg4ring of the UK credit and charge card market, if cardholders who’ve not done anything wrong are being sacked.

Combined with the delays we’re hearing about on crediting of points to Amex cards, cardholders again and again being asked by Amex to “wait another 90 days” when points earned are not being credited, the continuing issues with lounge access… Amex is skating on thin ice if they think cardholders will keep paying £600 a year for the Plat.

The UK market seems as though a new premium card could definitely do well. As an alternative to Amex in particular.

Alex V 28 posts

Yes, it’s a recognised business headquartered in the UK. I’ve been with this employer for a very long time.
    At this moment I think the most likely reason is that I had to pay for a work related service from my card and reimburse it through my employer, but again I don’t see a big difference with the business trips, I always charged quite expensive flight and hotels on my personal card.

Tariq 79 posts

Yes, it’s a recognised business headquartered in the UK. I’ve been with this employer for a very long time.
    At this moment I think the most likely reason is that I had to pay for a work related service from my card and reimburse it through my employer, but again I don’t see a big difference with the business trips, I always charged quite expensive flight and hotels on my personal card.

Perhaps your spend as a proportion of your annual income is a red flag for them, if you are putting very large expenses (in comparison to your salary) via the cards.

Entitled 68 posts

When you called to close the Gold, why did you not ask them for the basis of their decision? That seems more useful than strangers on the internet guessing.

Until this is a pattern, and verified by others, I see no reason for people to start panicking.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

When you called to close the Gold, why did you not ask them for the basis of their decision? That seems more useful than strangers on the internet guessing.

Until this is a pattern, and verified by others, I see no reason for people to start panicking.

Credit card providers or banks usually avoid giving any reasons as this can come back to bite them in a legal case. They don’t have to. They just provide the legally required notice period and close the accounts. Why do you think the Creation thread is 25 pages long?

Youllnever 182 posts

Too late – already panicking.

Barraclough 60 posts

They blocked both cards and set them to be cancelled in two months period.
    I called and asked my gold card to be cancelled immediately. The only reason I kept it open is that amex persuaded me by giving 20,000 points when I called to cancel. And I felt bad to cancel after that gesture, but now see no reason to pay for extra two months when I can’t even use it. Residual points on the card were moved to Nectar during the close. The only downturn is that I would have extra 10k points in summer when it’s time to renew the card, as I already hit annual spending target.
    With BAPP it’s much trickier, given I counted on the voucher, so not sure if I should complain to FOS. As per a similar case referenced in #306129, FOS does consider such cases, and as I haven’t abused the rules (at least I believe so), I should have better chances?

I have no reason to think I would have my two Amex cards closed but if that happened what happens to the MR points accumulated to date? I have about 70,0000 on an Amex Rewards card and 17,000, plus 10,000 to come for passing the 10k spend on a Gold card. I’m not going to panic move them out but would like to know whether there is a potential risk of losing those points earned to date.

Alex V 28 posts

They blocked both cards and set them to be cancelled in two months period.
    I called and asked my gold card to be cancelled immediately. The only reason I kept it open is that amex persuaded me by giving 20,000 points when I called to cancel. And I felt bad to cancel after that gesture, but now see no reason to pay for extra two months when I can’t even use it. Residual points on the card were moved to Nectar during the close. The only downturn is that I would have extra 10k points in summer when it’s time to renew the card, as I already hit annual spending target.
    With BAPP it’s much trickier, given I counted on the voucher, so not sure if I should complain to FOS. As per a similar case referenced in #306129, FOS does consider such cases, and as I haven’t abused the rules (at least I believe so), I should have better chances?

I have no reason to think I would have my two Amex cards closed but if that happened what happens to the MR points accumulated to date? I have about 70,0000 on an Amex Rewards card and 17,000, plus 10,000 to come for passing the 10k spend on a Gold card. I’m not going to panic move them out but would like to know whether there is a potential risk of losing those points earned to date.

I had under 1k points on the gold card (as I normally move everything to BA), and the lady on the phone offered to transfer them to Nectar. As I understand it was the only option for under 1k, otherwise I could move to BA or other places. So don’t worry about the points.

Alex V 28 posts

I first called on the number in the email (+44 (0) 1273 868900.) and asked about the reason, they said they can’t say.
    After that I called to cancel my gold card and also asked, and got absolutely the same answer.

Andrew J 769 posts

So they closed your BAPP but not your Gold and then you called to cancel your Gold anyway?

Entitled 68 posts

Credit card providers or banks usually avoid giving any reasons as this can come back to bite them in a legal case. They don’t have to. They just provide the legally required notice period and close the accounts. Why do you think the Creation thread is 25 pages long?

Because people take themselves too seriously and lack perspective?

Benilyn 150 posts

Do they know anything about it being reimbursed?

SteveJ 977 posts

So they closed your BAPP but not your Gold and then you called to cancel your Gold anyway?

OP said they notified him they’d be closing both in 2 months and blocked any usage.

Andrew J 769 posts

OP said they notified him they’d be closing both in 2 months and blocked any usage.

Seemed odd to call to close the account then, that’s why I was a little confused about what actually happened. (As an aside, why do you assume Alex V is male?)

HertsSam 15 posts

I don’t hold and never have had an Amex so this might be the stupidest comment on this thread. I am also new to this forum.

How can yoou be sure the email from Amex wasn’t a scam? You say you rang the number in the email.
    Surely you should have rung the number on your card or on a statement?
    Have you now given the person you called enough information to commit fraud with your card details?

Unlikely but thought I would ask.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Ash 621 posts

Check you credit rating for Experian, they offer a two week or 30 free trial. You get full detailed access – Inc a timeline of changes affecting your score.

It could be innocuous…my partner bought a cuddly toy for her nephew Kuba. His name was messaged in PayPal message. PayPal froze the payment while the checked out if it is connected to a sanctioned nation.

Barraclough 60 posts

I don’t hold and never have had an Amex so this might be the stupidest comment on this thread. I am also new to this forum.

How can yoou be sure the email from Amex wasn’t a scam? You say you rang the number in the email.
    Have you now given the person you called enough information to commit fraud with your card details?

Good point HertsSam. Not a stupid comment at all. It’s a useful reminder to everyone to be cautious and to check things out.

TGLoyalty 494 posts

A good comment but the OP has mentioned the number and it’s a legit Amex phone number

HertsSam 15 posts

Good point HertsSam. Not a stupid comment at all. It’s a useful reminder to everyone to be cautious and to check things out.

Thank you Barraclough.
    I did have 2 thoughts.
    1) Perhaps the number called is well known to Alex V as Amex CS’ number, there was no problem calling it.
    2) If it was a scam, then the scammer as well as having your details, also has, and I am guessing here, your mobile phone number. I know some organisations use mobile number as a security detail for confirmation. Also if you are with any organisations that use OTP as part of confirming any security change, then the scammer may change the phone number on that account.
    Like I said, unlikely and speculation on my part. Take it as you wish.

HertsSam 15 posts

A good comment but the OP has mentioned the number and it’s a legit Amex phone number

Thank you TGLoyalty.
    Shame I can’t delete my 2nd post with further thoughts. Oh well.

IPC 16 posts

Alex V, do you have an Amex linked to Paypal?

Have you ever paid anyone associated with you via Amex / Paypal Friends and Family?

= Red Flag.

Alex V 28 posts

Alex V, do you have an Amex linked to Paypal?

Have you ever paid anyone associated with you via Amex / Paypal Friends and Family?

= Red Flag.

I do have PayPal and I had both Amex cards linked to it, but I’ve never used it for sending money to anyone. Per my understanding such transaction would be a cash transaction in nature, so I always use a current account or monzo card linked to PayPal to make cash transfers.

Ash 621 posts

Paypal with Amex is a red flag?

Barraclough 60 posts

Many of us regard the relationship with AmEx as precious and wouldn’t want to risk closure. Obviously the terms and conditions for our cards are the source for keeping on the right side but it would be good to have a list of do’s and don’ts since closures are never done with reasons.

Perhaps we could have some insights from Rob and others on how to keep on the right side of Amex but in the meantime here are some pointers I guess to bear in mind.

But what do others think and are there other do’s and don’ts when using Amex? Hopefully the list below will be extended by the experienced and wise HfP fraternity (I’m a relative novice!)

DON’T EVER

Pay individuals using PayPal.

Make monthly repayments from another credit card.

Nominate yourself for other AmEx cards.

Exaggerate your income when applying for an Amex card.

BE CAREFUL

If buying gift cards.
    Perhaps occasional fairly low value gift cards totalling say no more than £500 maybe OK but the what do others think?

Not to overdo small shop transactions.
    Such as splitting payments over more than one Anec card.

DO

Take screenshots of every Amex offer you take up in case you are not given the extra points.

If unsure about whether something is ok to do do with an Amex card check it out first at Headforpoints!

SteveJ 977 posts

Paypal with Amex is a red flag?

PayPal friends and family with Amex is a red flag

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.