Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex – “fly on your points for 50% less” offer

• Skywalker 693 posts

Afternoon – I usually transfer my MR points out to airlines, but decided to try sitting on them to see if any offers came up.

An offer came up called “Cover it with points” – on the face of it, it seems I need to book the cash fare directly with the airline and then cover the Amex bill with points at a 50% discount.

I’m not sure what this means or if it is a good deal or use of points, so it would be great to hear from anyone with advice on/knowledge of this process

TIA

meta 1,434 posts

An example they gave 20k for £135 off. Terrible deal.

Skywalker 693 posts

Thank you @meta – that’s why I thought I would come here and ask the Points Professors before leaping!

Aston100 1,388 posts

0.675p per point.
    Isn’t that the same as converting to Nectar?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

Yes, basically. If you still convert to Nectar then you’d probably be happy to do this but I doubt many other people would.

Carlos 758 posts

Not a good deal, even EK give 0.788 when using points on carrier imposed fees

Yes, basically. If you still convert to Nectar then you’d probably be happy to do this but I doubt many other people would.

Problem is finding something in Sainsburys or eBay that you dont really want to buy to get the value out of it… do Sainsburys still do the once in a year double value?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.