Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Gold to Premium upgrade 40,000 bonus points offer

• barrym01 15 posts

As a holder of an existing Amex [BA] I didn’t qualify for bonus by opening a gold card. However, read in a HforP post that I would be able to get a bonus by upgrading from a gold to a platinum. I’ve successfully applied for a gold, as was then provided with a link by Amex’s call centre as it wasn’t showing in the offers. When trying the link it states that I don’t qualify for the offer. I enclose the link & would appreciate any advice. Apparently the offer ends on Wednesday. https://www.americanexpress.com/amex/en-gb/benefits/upgrade/platinum/

Carlos 758 posts

It seems unlikely they will allow newly registered users to upgrade but try again every day. IIRC some reports have come through successfully.

JDB 4,378 posts

There has been some suggestion here that you need to have held the gold card for a while, maybe a year. I’m not sure anyone said it was possible to apply for gold and straight away use this offer to upgrade to Plat as a back door to a SUB for which one otherwise wasn’t eligible.

degsy 152 posts

Here you go @barrym01 have a read of this thread, which gives a few real life examples. It seems you need to have held the Gold card for a year (like i have) in order to be eligible.

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/upgrade-preferred-rewards-gold-credit-card-to-platinum/

Aston100 1,383 posts

There isn’t anything in the t&cs about how long you need to hold a PRG before upgrading to the Platinum CC.
    I made this point after repeatedly being rejected by the upgrade link.
    Was eventually given a decent amount of MR as goodwill, which (overall) works out better for me as I will now be able to pickup the annual spend bonus from the PRG in due course.

Ash 621 posts

Hi Aston, i’ll try that. How long have you had the PRG?

Aston100 1,383 posts

Hi Aston, i’ll try that. How long have you had the PRG?

More than 3 months, but less than a year.
    Sorry, don’t want to be specific on this occasion.

pbcold 348 posts

I have just been accepted for the upgrade. If I now spend on my Gold Card will this immediately contribute towards the required £4,000 Platinum spend? Thank you.

Carlos 758 posts

I have just been accepted for the upgrade. If I now spend on my Gold Card will this immediately contribute towards the required £4,000 Platinum spend? Thank you.

Yes, if the upgrade was successful any cleared spend will contribute to the target going forward.

pbcold 348 posts

Thank you @Carlos.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.