Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Plat Insurance – another interesting scenario

• DTR 105 posts

Hi all
    Flights/hotels have been booked using OH’s platinum card (now cancelled) but I now hold a platinum card and will do when we travel (both travelling).
    My assumption is the flights/hotels are not covered by the travel insurance, as they were not booked on my plat card, and therefore I need to purchase 3rd party insurance if I want coverage for these? Or, would Amex for some reason be happy as they were paid for on a platinum originally?!
    Thanks
    D

Matt 322 posts

You need to check the terms of the Amex travel insurance – most big stuff is covered however you’ve paid for it, but some stuff isn’t covered unless it’s paid for on your Amex (not necessarily the Plat itself). I suspect having paid for it on someone else’s now closed card won’t count for those purposes.

Carlos 758 posts

I recall Rob saying that (but I could be wrong) if you have purchased anything linked to the holiday package, that element is covered

For example upgrading seats on a flight (not paid by Amex Platinum) will be covered when paying using a Platinum
    Perhaps with the logic how can you get on your purchased upgraded seat if it has moved dates

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.