Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Radisson Rewards Amex Platinum: better to book now, or to wait for my Radisson gold status?

• kynazanatoly 13 posts

I’m planning to book a couple of days in the Radisson hotel in Inverness and I just realised that I can get Radisson gold status from my Amex Platinum.

The upgrade takes 1–3 days, and I’m wondering whether waiting for the status is worth the risk of losing a good room.

The Amex website says that I have the following perks I care about:
    * Complimentary room upgrades
    * Free Award Night stays starting at 15,000 points with no blackout dates on standard rooms

What’s the chance of getting a complimentary room upgrade on a weekend? Additionally, how do free award nights work? Do I get a free night after a single stay?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,206 posts

What’s the issue?

1-join Radisson Rewards now at base level
    2-book your room
    3-apply for the status upgrade

The hotel will see you as Gold at check-in.

You are unlikely to get 15,000 points off one booking BUT there is a promo for 3,000 bonus points with your first app booking. You should take advantage of that. Article on HfP about that deal if you search.

kynazanatoly 13 posts

I’m new to the world of hotel statuses, and I don’t understand how room upgrades work. Am I guaranteed a free upgrade to the next best room if it’s available?

I also don’t understand the free night award bonus.

Does it mean that if I have Radisson gold status then I can book a single night in any hotel for 15k points? If so, I will definitely exchange some MR for Radisson Points.

Otherwise, does it mean that I can get reward rooms for points? In that case, how is having home status different from regular status?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Upgrade not guaranteed.

Free award nights “starting from” 15k.

Read the article below:
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/08/06/60000-points-bonus-are-the-four-free-american-express-platinum-hotel-status-cards-worth-having/

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,206 posts

Join up, book your stay via the app for the 3k bonus and then see how many points you have after the stay.

You can then top these up with Amex points for enough for a free night.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.