Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex say I can’t downgrade my BAPP yet?

• Amy C 369 posts

I’m just on online chat and am trying to downgrade to the free card after holding the paid one for two years. My fee is due on 28th and so I thought downgrading now would avoid that. However, chat is saying it can’t be processed until after 27th! Is that a thing or are they talking bollocks?

alig4th 322 posts

I’d guess the rep on the chat isn’t properly trained/is only authorised to rattle off generic scripted lines or refer stuff to “the back office”. You can cancel (or, I presume, downgrade) at any time and the change is instantaneous for a pro-rata refund.

I’d strongly suggest calling during working hours. Whoever you reach, ask if they are based in Brighton (Amex’s UK office, rather than an overseas call centre), and if they say no, ask to be transferred to a Brighton-based rep.

Amy C 369 posts

Thanks, have to do via chat unfortunately as am in middle of Botswana.

alig4th 322 posts

Ah… Perhaps ask the chat agent to be transferred to a Brighton-based rep, then? You’re more likely to get a knowledgeable person who can actually do stuff in the Brighton office

shub 87 posts

Sorry to highjack the thread, but have a question regarding the downgrade. I’ve an offer saved on my BAPP card which I would be using after 2 months, Does the saved offers remain on card even after downgrading or is it better to postpone the downgrade for 2 months?

Amy C 369 posts

All sorted, chatted again with new agent and now downgraded. Thank you.
    With regard to the other question, I’m not 100% sure but I think you lose the offers. I hope not as there’s a couple I might use on mine.

SamG 1,639 posts

Out of curiosity why are you downgrading vs cancelling and starting your Amex reset?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.