Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Apple Pay

• KiteFlyer 14 posts

“Avios is a master card and master cards is not yet compatible with Apple pay” – I have a Tesco MC on apple pay, so thats rubbish.

Waiting game continues..

Rui N. 829 posts

Both can be true. It might be the case that Barclays’ Mastercards are not compatible with Apple Pay.

Marc 43 posts

“Avios is a master card and master cards is not yet compatible with Apple pay” – I have a Tesco MC on apple pay, so thats rubbish.

Waiting game continues..

Mastercard itself is of course compatible with Apple Pay. What the agent was talking about are Mastercards issued by Barclaycard. The new Avios Barclaycard is – as far as I know – the only Mastercard offering from Barclaycard. All other cards are VISA.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    KiteFlyer 14 posts

Yea I should have learnt by now not to take any Barclaycard comms literally!

Further confirmation on twitter on the 10th May date from BC.
    “This has now been pushed back to May 10th for you to be able to add your card to Apple Pay.”

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Waiting game continues..

Mastercard itself is of course compatible with Apple Pay. What the agent was talking about are Mastercards issued by Barclaycard. The new Avios Barclaycard is – as far as I know – the only Mastercard offering from Barclaycard. All other cards are VISA.

Doesn’t matter if it’s visa or MasterCard. Hilarious how they come up with excuses to hide their incompetence

Justin 41 posts

Yea I should have learnt by now not to take any Barclaycard comms literally!

Further confirmation on twitter on the 10th May date from BC.
    “This has now been pushed back to May 10th for you to be able to add your card to Apple Pay.”

For anyone who would likes references, like me, the original source can be found here.

Let’s just hope this doesn’t get pushed back again.

dst87 263 posts

“I would be more than happy to help you on this, however I am sorry Avios is a master card and master cards is not yet compatible with Apple pay, and once Apple will allow it we will be more than happy offer customer this service.”

Tell that to all of the other Mastercards I have in Apple Wallet. 😆

Honestly, Barclaycard customer support may be the worst support I’ve ever experienced. Incredibly uninformed, and they typically don’t even properly read the question I asked.

Thankfully using via Curve is working flawlessly for now, though it’s a bit pathetic to launch a new card product in 2022 with Apple Pay support (and whatever the Android equivalent is).

chelynnah 41 posts

So, had a chat with a rep on iMessage regarding an estimated date on Apple Pay support and got this reply:

“I would be more than happy to help you on this, however I am sorry Avios is a master card and master cards is not yet compatible with Apple pay, and once Apple will allow it we will be more than happy offer customer this service.”

Does not give me confidence to be with them on the long run. This is my first ever Barclays product BTW

PS. This was on 4 April.

Nonsense, as I’m sure everyone already knows. Curve MC and RBS MC (both debit cards)and Lloyds MC (credit card) have all been in my Apple Pay wallet and used extensively since I finally started using it at the beginning of the pandemic.

Marc 43 posts

Doesn’t matter if it’s visa or MasterCard. Hilarious how they come up with excuses to hide their incompetence

Well, no sorry, it actually does matter. I’m the last to defend Barclays here but in this instance the agent is probably saying the truth. The wording he used is a bit confusing, I agree. But what he’s clearly referring to is “Mastercards at Barclaycard”, rather than “Mastercard in general”. Cause yeah, of course, there are Mastercards on Apple Pay.

But (and that’s the main thing) for the issuer (i.e. Barclaycard), it’s a different process to onboard a Mastercard to Apple Pay. And given this is their only Mastercard product, it seems the onboarding takes longer as it would have with another Visa.

gbdavid 12 posts

I’ve been always in the fence with Barclays since they were always against anything to do with Apple Pay (even though they eventually started supporting it for some cards much later than anyone else)

Reading through this thread has encouraged me to avoid applying for this or any Barclays card in the near future… No Apple Pay? Bad customer support? unreliable IT systems? not for me, thank you very much!

Jamesp21 28 posts

This is a joke of an experience to be perfectly honest. Close to triggering my £3k and very much looking forward to walking away from it and sticking with Amex.

dst87 263 posts

This is a joke of an experience to be perfectly honest. Close to triggering my £3k and very much looking forward to walking away from it and sticking with Amex.

While I agree it’s a joke, once they’ve added support I expect it’ll work perfectly everywhere that accepts the card.

Merchants who accept Amex don’t always accept Amex via contactless, and those who do don’t always accept Amex via Apple Pay. Amex support is much much less reliable for both contactless and Apple Pay than any Visa or Mastercard.

Not saying there aren’t excellent reasons to prefer Amex over Barclaycard, just that this (hopefully soon) won’t be one of them.

Amex support is much much less reliable for both contactless and Apple Pay than any Visa or Mastercard.

Have used Amex cards of all types and across countries and never once faced a problem with Apple Pay.

But (and that’s the main thing) for the issuer (i.e. Barclaycard), it’s a different process to onboard a Mastercard to Apple Pay. And given this is their only Mastercard product, it seems the onboarding takes longer as it would have with another Visa.

Are you saying they realised MasterCard is different to visa just now? One year of planning and more than a month after product launch? How much time did it take for you as a consumer, to understand this is their first MasterCard?

icg2201 13 posts

Waiting game continues..

Not true…Barclaycard has for years issued business credit and payment cards as Mastercards, the Avios card is not their first Mastercard.

dst87 263 posts

Amex support is much much less reliable for both contactless and Apple Pay than any Visa or Mastercard.

Have used Amex cards of all types and across countries and never once faced a problem with Apple Pay.

It has most definitely improved. When Apple Pay first launched I typically had more failures that successes. It’s better now, but there are still a handful of places I’ll go that _do_ accept Amex, but not via contactless or Apple Pay. That distinction (as far as I’ve seen so far) doesn’t exist with Visa/MC.

Youllnever 182 posts

Waiting game continues..

Not true…Barclaycard has for years issued business credit and payment cards as Mastercards, the Avios card is not their first Mastercard.

They never supported Apple Pay with their business cards though so this could be true.

chelynnah 41 posts

I have on several occasions this past year or do. I knew they accepted Amex but the card Ma one wouldn’t accept either Apple Pay or contactless. As someone as I popped the card in fir Chip and pin it was fine. A couple of restaurants and most recently a food counter at the NEC. It was this last one where she said it’d a known issue that their reader will take all contactless except Amex, but it will take it with chip and pin.

I always have a backup MasterCard in there anyway, because not everywhere takes Amex. But yes, there is a known issue with Amex contactless and some companies of card readers. It’s always been the same type of reader when it’s happened to me.

I have on several occasions this past year or do. I knew they accepted Amex but the card Ma one wouldn’t accept either Apple Pay or contactless. As someone as I popped the card in fir Chip and pin it was fine. A couple of restaurants and most recently a food counter at the NEC. It was this last one where she said it’d a known issue that their reader will take all contactless except Amex, but it will take it with chip and pin.

I always have a backup MasterCard in there anyway, because not everywhere takes Amex. But yes, there is a known issue with Amex contactless and some companies of card readers. It’s always been the same type of reader when it’s happened to me.

You (and a few others) are confusing Amex acceptance issues with Apple Pay issues. What we are talking about here is Amex not working through Apple Pay. If neither works, it’s the merchant blocking the card explicitly. That’s a different issue from saying Amex doesn’t work with Apple Pay.
    Some merchants block Amex on contactless, but forget to block them on chip and pin, which is why it works in some instances.

Well, no sorry, it actually does matter. I’m the last to defend Barclays here but in this instance the agent is probably saying the truth. The wording he used is a bit confusing, I agree. But what he’s clearly referring to is “Mastercards at Barclaycard”, rather than “Mastercard in general”. Cause yeah, of course, there are Mastercards on Apple Pay.

“Onboarding takes longer!” A year? They have been planning this product for a year. No one intelligent enough to tell them it has to be added to Apple Pay?

chelynnah 41 posts

You (and a few others) are confusing Amex acceptance issues with Apple Pay issues. What we are talking about here is Amex not working through Apple Pay. If neither works, it’s the merchant blocking the card explicitly. That’s a different issue from saying Amex doesn’t work with Apple Pay.
    Some merchants block Amex on contactless, but forget to block them on chip and pin, which is why it works in some instances.

No I’m not. All above experiences have happened in restaurants or businesses that have had clear Amex acceptance signs, and where I have used Amex for years (except one). It was only when I started to try using Apple Pay in those same places that it was refused. Yes what you suggest has also happened once, but that is not what we are talking about.

So no, I’m not confused. It is possible for both your experience and mine to exist and be valid.

Marc 43 posts

“Onboarding takes longer!” A year? They have been planning this product for a year. No one intelligent enough to tell them it has to be added to Apple Pay?

I’ve only given context about the agent’s statement, as a few people on here just jumped to the conclusion “they’re lying!!”.
    Why it has taken so long, I don’t know. Certain infrastructure needs to be in place for the onboarding process. Considering the many issues, I’m sure we all agree the launch was premature with lots of issues not ironed out yet.

Youllnever 182 posts

Just got a new text message from Barclaycard:
    Update on your Avios card – we’re very sorry that adding your card to Apple Pay isn’t quite ready yet. You should be able to add it by the end of May and we’ll message you to confirm. We know this is not ideal but we’re doing all we can to fix it. Thanks again for your patience. Your Barclaycard Team

egghedx 10 posts

Just got a new text message from Barclaycard:
    Update on your Avios card – we’re very sorry that adding your card to Apple Pay isn’t quite ready yet. You should be able to add it by the end of May and we’ll message you to confirm. We know this is not ideal but we’re doing all we can to fix it. Thanks again for your patience. Your Barclaycard Team

Quite pissed but not surprised. At all.

I guess it will happen when it happens.

modestpointscollector 64 posts

Incredible to think they’re still having to work on this. I’ll probably have my Avios bonus, upgrade voucher, and be shot of the card before it ever appears on Apple Pay at this rate (2-3 months)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.