Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Approved in April, yet to activate – when does the 3 months offer start from?

• spawn606 47 posts

Hi all,

I applied for the Barclays card on March 28th, got approved April 4th for the 30,000 welcome offer.

I have completely forgotten about it until now and have been paying the £20 monthly fee despite not activating my card yet.

The new 50,000 offer reminded me of this.

Some questions:

1. Does it not being activated mean I could reapply for the 50k offer?

2. If above is null, when does my 3 month time period start from? Day of application? Day of email approval? (April 4th) if the latter, does that mean I have until July 4th to meet the spend bonus? I.e. less than 2 days?

Anything else I haven’t considered?

Many thanks

Dudulle 47 posts

The 3 months start from the date of approval.
    I also got approved on April 4th and the app says the bonus period ends on July 3rd.

Even if you haven’t activated the card you wouldn’t be eligible for the new bonus. You would also need to wait 6 months to reapply if you cancel your card.

JDB 4,333 posts

Not activating the card won’t make you eligible for the new higher SUB as a ‘new’ customer if you applied again now; you would need to wait two years from the date of cancelling the card to get a SUB or six months just to apply with no SUB. It is quite likely you are just about to hit the 3 months deadline for the SUB if you haven’t already passed it. The app will show you the precise date, but it sounds as though you might have blown it.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    TGLoyalty 497 posts

I reckon you have about 35 hours to activate and spend £3k

Harry T 95 posts

Thoughts and prayers for the OP.

Peter K 551 posts

Just fill up his car, that’ll do it!

ChrisC 956 posts

How do you forget you have a shiny new card and a 30k avios bonus to earn if you spend 3 grand in 3 months?

The last shiny new card I got I already had a list of things ready to spend using it!

CarpalTravel 362 posts

I have completely forgotten about it until now and have been paying the £20 monthly fee despite not activating my card yet.

Really you answered your own questions right there.

Account is open and £20 fee being charged. Status of the card linked to the account is irrelevant.

barracuda 31 posts

Had a long discussion with Barclays about the card taking 4 weeks to show up from the date it was supposedly marked as shipped. Long story short they refunded the first months fee but refused to budge on the extending the qualifying period.

OPs only hope is buy lots of vouchers for supermarkets. Other thought is you can PayPal transfer a relative charge the card that way then ask them to transfer back to you. Think that caps out at £1k. Alternatively and more risky may be to purchase a £3k plus BA full flex flight get the avios – spend up to £6k on the card then refund the ba flight for the £15 online admin fee. The question I don’t know is if they will claw back the bonus or just the avios for the £3k spend.

CarpalTravel 362 posts

Had a long discussion with Barclays about the card taking 4 weeks to show up from the date it was supposedly marked as shipped. Long story short they refunded the first months fee but refused to budge on the extending the qualifying period.

OPs only hope is buy lots of vouchers for supermarkets. Other thought is you can PayPal transfer a relative charge the card that way then ask them to transfer back to you. Think that caps out at £1k. Alternatively and more risky may be to purchase a £3k plus BA full flex flight get the avios – spend up to £6k on the card then refund the ba flight for the £15 online admin fee. The question I don’t know is if they will claw back the bonus or just the avios for the £3k spend.

That’s a whole load of effort on risky or costly options. Just book a refundable hotel reservation (e.g. in NYC) on Hotels.com for way out in the future (don’t screw over a hotel) then refund once the spend is offset.

Clock is ticking….

spawn606 47 posts

Yeah turns out that the date was June 28th.

So they did 3 months from the application date, not when they confirmed my eligibility + receiving my card.

Totally appreciate I dropped the ball on this but that’s really silly as 3 months isn’t 3 months if you can’t even use the card for a week after the clock ticks.

Shame really.

barracuda 31 posts

That’s a whole load of effort on risky or costly options. Just book a refundable hotel reservation (e.g. in NYC) on Hotels.com for way out in the future (don’t screw over a hotel) then refund once the spend is offset.

Clock is ticking….

I thought the hotels/booking.com route does not actually charge the card on reservation – which is why I suggest the BA route.

All moot now though as June 28 is a few days behind.

SteveJ 977 posts

Clock is ticking….

I thought the hotels/booking.com route does not actually charge the card on reservation – which is why I suggest the BA route.

All moot now though as June 28 is a few days behind.

There are pay now and party at hotel options. Pick party now and Hotels.com take the money instantly

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.