Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Avios Subscription – renewing at old price?

• cercwc76 54 posts

My Avios subscription is due for renewal next month. May i know if anyone knows whether the auto renewal will be based on the new price or the existing old price. Currently when I click on the link sent to me it shows the existing one with old price. Thus I want to be sure to avoid the new price prior to make the final decision. TIA.

kevinchoi 96 posts

old price

bobthebuilder 28 posts

I also got an email about my renewal which shows the old price. If so, that would be good. Need to wait another month to see what is actually charged.

Alex G 435 posts

The email makes it clear that they are renewing at the old price. I got the email on March 25. My subscription renews on April 25 and it’s £1789 for 200k. The renewal is automatic and will be charged to the card used last year.

There is a link to cancel if you don’t want to renew

cercwc76 54 posts

Good to know that it is from an old price that i will continue to it.

Ihar 128 posts

@Alex G – will do that! My and OH bought 200k each last year, and along with AMEX 241 and BAPP upgrades (as long as you’re flexible) it’s a good deal. Obv if you’re super-flexible then you can squeeze into an economy seat 😉

LD27 170 posts

Renewal 30 April. Got both emails this morning. 50,000 for £455 confirmed – old price.

KevYang 7 posts

I don’t think the email explicitly stated that the total charge for the renewal on 30/04/2024 will remain at £1789 (the old price).

I turned off the auto-renewal and had it turned back on again; and received the following:

“Well done on activating your Avios Subscription.
    Now you can sit back and watch your Avios balance fly.
    Here’s a summary:
    Subscription:
    Adventurer (yearly)
    Order number:

Date:
    Sun, 30 Apr 2023 12:02:17 GMT
    Avios per year:
    Avios per month:
    Total charge:
    £1,789
    That’s all for now,
    Your Avios Subscription team”

In my opinion (I could be very sceptical), this only confirms that the price paid last year was £1,789.

I could not find anything in the T&A either, Terms & Conditions
    The 5th point on the T&A gives a bit of reassurance that it appears there is a 14-day “cooling off” period that if I end up paying the new / higher price for the subscription, I’d request a refund.

Do I miss anything?

JDB 4,384 posts

@KevYang – this has been raised before and both the T&Cs and the email communications are rather poorly worded. The FAQs appear to be the place where BA confirms that if you maintain a continuous subscription, your price doesn’t change.

Alex G 435 posts

The email is perfectly clear. It states the price, the renewal date, and the amount of Avios.

BA would not be able to charge a different account without informing you of the increase.

JDB 4,384 posts

The email is perfectly clear. It states the price, the renewal date, and the amount of Avios.

BA would not be able to charge a different account without informing you of the increase.

The email quoted doesn’t refer to the renewal date, but rather the original 2023 subscription date.

Ihar 128 posts

I wouldn’t worry. You will most probably be charged at the “auto-renewal” price (i.e. same price), as even BA’s IT system can manage that. The 14 day period is “distance selling”, but I’m sure they’d rather take your money at the discounted (-£200) price. Still cash in the bank.

markja 3 posts

I also rx’ed an auto renewal email on 30 March.
    -100,000 points
    -8,334 points per month
    -£899 Total annual charge

Curious though about the wording “…To change or cancel your subscription, please go to My Subscription…”

Cancellation is clear.
    Though not sure what can be *changed* ? In my case I will need to update/change my CC as it happen to expire before renewal on 30 Apr. So that is one change I can do. But what other changes are possible? I can’t see any or how to do them. I would love to now change to a 200k (Adventurer) tier. The new prices are astonishing. 100K from £899 to £1779. Wow!!

I guess a 100K renewal is as good as I can now get.

Alex G 435 posts

The email quoted doesn’t refer to the renewal date, but rather the original 2023 subscription date.

My email:-

“Dear *****,

We just wanted to let you know your Avios Subscription will renew on Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:22:58 GMT Please make sure your payment card is up to date. To change or cancel your subscription, please go to My Subscription.

Please find a summary of your subscription below:

Subscription purchased:

Adventurer (yearly)

Order number:

Date:

Avios per year:

Avios per month:

Total charge:

£1,789

That’s all for now,

LD27 170 posts

My email:-

“Dear *****,

We just wanted to let you know your Avios Subscription will renew on Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:22:58 GMT Please make sure your payment card is up to date. To change or cancel your subscription, please go to My Subscription.

Please find a summary of your subscription below:

Subscription purchased:

Adventurer (yearly)

Order number:

Date:

Avios per year:

Avios per month:

Total charge:

£1,789

That’s all for now,

My email wording is the same but for 50,000 Avios. We will find out towards end of April!

Ihar 128 posts

@Alex G Just got the same email. Will keep it for another year. The trend seems to be not raising the Avios needed but reducing the amount per flight (e.g. By revenue vs route flown) and messing around with the surcharges. It’s not a “golden goose” for BA, but it seems they are attracted to the “buy now, fly later” model, and using subscriptions. There’s some business logic in it.

Next they need to link miles/subs with club tiers to bolster loyalty. By next year I will have ~1.5m Avios. If I’m spending £2k/yr on Avios alone, that’s got to be worth a Silver card 😉

Misty 220 posts

I took out a 3 month subscription, to see if this worked for me, currently in middle of third month. Does anyone know if I will get an email inviting me to renew at the end of 3 months – not seen any data points reported on monthly scheme ? Unless I’ve missed it of course.

JellyFan 20 posts

@Alex G Just got the same email. Will keep it for another year.

I got the same email.

Had been intending to cancel my subscription; however since it appears to be locked-in to the old pricing structure, I’ll let it roll over for another year.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.