Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Award booking advisor based in UK

• rakesh 20 posts

Hi wondering if anybody can recommend an award booking service/advisor based in the UK

looking to book my parents’ flights for a trip to Bangkok and Hanoi in November/ December this year.
    got a mix of points mostly in amex, avios, Cathay pacific

just a little overwhelmed with trying to find the best combination of value and convenience
    in first-class ideally where available or business

the ideal would be something like
    26/27th Nov london (or cardiff/bristol) – bangkok
    2/3/4th dec Bangkok – hanoi
    10/11th dec hanoi or phnom penh to london (or cardiff/bristol)

think maybe using the services of an expert.. may save me hours of research and deliberations.

Andrew J 769 posts

Easiest option is to just book cash tickets as I’ve not heard of anyone who is professionally booking award travel for people. And you won’t get to BKK from Cardiff or Bristol.

iheartarbitrage 32 posts

There’s plenty of booking services available, and any of the US based ones will have no problem making the arrangements.

BKK is just one stop from Cardiff with KLM, or from Bristol with Lufthansa.

To be honest, that’s a fairly easy trip to arrange as long haul on points and short haul with cash.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Easiest option is to just book cash tickets as I’ve not heard of anyone who is professionally booking award travel for people. And you won’t get to BKK from Cardiff or Bristol.

Qatar used to fly from Cardiff. Looks like they haven’t restarted the route since covid.

Pointspros is one but based in US. Not aware of any based in UK.

Andrew J 769 posts

Qatar used to fly from Cardiff. Looks like they haven’t restarted the route since covid.

Indeed. Talks are underway to restart in 2024:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61025639

rakesh 20 posts

yes, lots of options.

but my mum in particular has poor mobility and they are both relatively old, want things to be a simple as possible from them.. checked thru luggage.. easy transits
    also nice hard and soft products

it is so difficult when booking for others..
    read somewhere that thai airways dont release award availability till three weeks before the flight, yet see one day on the week before where they show 2 seats on the united website. Also that they will have 1 direct flight a day with first class (can’t find any availability for this)

what is finair / eva air like
    klm / airfrance and luftansa from the regional airports
    should i go with a middle eastern carrier (break up the journey with a layover)

yes, seems to be lots of advisors/services based in the US.. thought if I could find somebody in the UK they would have more personal experience of the routes, products, services

got to be a gap in the market..for somebody to offer this service from Uk / Europe
    happily pay a fee for somebody passionate to spend some time on this

I have an awardwallet and expertflyer subscription.. have booked plenty of award journeys for myself
    but would say i am in no way an expert…

SamG 1,644 posts

It’s the world cup so Qatar aren’t going to have any availability.

I’d do Finnair London-Bangkok outbound – nice and simple transit. If you’re really rich in Amex points then KLM has Cardiff on the 25th

Inbound looks a little tricky at the moment – the best option seems to be Singapore Airlines Phnom Penh – Manchester on the 10th with a long stopover in Singapore. Their bags would be sent through and I imagine the free “heratige tour” will be up and running by then to go into the city

Transfer the points in from Amex to Singapore Airlines. Then waitlist all of the better London options before you book the above. Easy to call in and get swapped over if something better comes up but at least you’ve locked something in

I’d also check with Asia Miles directly for Cathay Pacific options

Intra Asia I’d just pay cash. If Bangkok Airlines is an option they’re a nice little carrier and you really don’t need Biz on those legs.

In my experience Thai or Eva to/from London is rarely available. Singapore Airlines F on the 777 which is all you’re likely to get isn’t worth it

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .

A US advisor would have same access to award availability, routes, points schemes etc. There’ll be no major value-add from a UK based advisor unless you prefer a British accent. You decide which airport works for you based on the route and flight time options provided to you.

I’d suggest booking BA direct to destination using Avios or Asiamiles. Older travelers find layovers daunting, especially in airports that use a different language. If LHR is a bit far, book a luxury (Mercedes) van which can make a longer journey comfortable. They might even support mobility needs.

You can also book ‘meet and greet’ services at most airports. The services offered may vary – some include fast track immigration.

I wouldn’t focus on first class – few airlines have it and fewer aircraft nowadays. Any availability will be snapped up by frequent travelers quickly. J is good enough these days.

SamG 1,644 posts

Unfortunately BA are cancelling Bangkok so no OW options via Avios direct either way

PointsChaser 36 posts

yes, lots of options.

EVA Air has a very good business class. From your description of your parents I would only consider a non stop flight to BKK which means your choice is Thai or EVA. They will be happy with either of these airlines business class service.

jj 520 posts

I live less than 10 miles from Cardiff airport, and I have learned the hard way that it is always better to drive to Heathrow than to risk changing in Amsterdam. That is doubly true if you are travelling with elderly relatives with limited mobility. I would strongly recommend direct flights if at all possible.

If I were taking my parents, I would definitely also travel to Heathrow the night before to avoid stress and tiredness, and I would stay in the Sofitel (assuming T5 flights) to avoid any need for buses and taxis. If you don’t want to drive yourself, airport transfers in a comfortable car are not expensive compared with long haul business class flights.

NorthernLass 7,586 posts

@jj, have you used Club Millesime at the Sofitel? I have a suite booked for later this year as needed a room for 3 adults, it includes club lounge access but as we won’t have time for breakfast I’m not sure what value we’ll get from it!

SamG 1,644 posts

yes, lots of options.

EVA Air has a very good business class. From your description of your parents I would only consider a non stop flight to BKK which means your choice is Thai or EVA. They will be happy with either of these airlines business class service.

This is where knowledge does kick in – both those options are rarely available ex-LHR, especially when approaching peak season and they’re also usually pricey with cash. If you’ve plenty of points then one option is if Singapore Airlines has seats outbound to book with them via SIN and then keep an eye/set expertflyer awards up. If Thai or Eva did happen to open up then you can switch with them easily, the miles required are the same. But that’d require a very big pile of Amex points!

The Finnair option isn’t bad – small airport and short transit time means the assistance would just take them from gate to gate most likely.

jj 520 posts

@NorthernLass, despite being only Silver with Accor, I consistently get upgraded in the Sofitel and that’s usually to a club room. However, I have never used the lounge as it has always been closed by the time I have arrived and settled down (IIRC it closes at 7pm), and I prefer to have breakfast once I have cleared security and can properly relax.

More broadly, the Sofitel provides about as good an aiport experience as you could possibly want. The car park is very close to both the terminal and the hotel and the walk is fully under cover; the rooms are comfortable, spacious and well-maintained (although hardly on the cutting edge of design); the restaurants and bar are decent by airport standards; and the staff are always pleasant and efficient. My only issue is that service in the restaurant is always very slow. Definitely book a table for your evening meal in advance, btw.

Unfortunately BA are cancelling Bangkok so no OW options via Avios direct either way

Is there any news on BA flying to KL? Hope they restart the service soon.

NorthernLass 7,586 posts

@jj – thanks, yes we’ve stayed there a few times before an early flight but only ever in standard rooms when our son was small enough for a rollaway. They don’t do triple/quad rooms so a suite was the next option. It’s a shame there are no other options that close to T5!

PointsChaser 36 posts

yes, lots of options.

This is where knowledge does kick in – both those options are rarely available ex-LHR, especially when approaching peak season and they’re also usually pricey with cash. If you’ve plenty of points then one option is if Singapore Airlines has seats outbound to book with them via SIN and then keep an eye/set expertflyer awards up. If Thai or Eva did happen to open up then you can switch with them easily, the miles required are the same. But that’d require a very big pile of Amex points!

The Finnair option isn’t bad – small airport and short transit time means the assistance would just take them from gate to gate most likely.

Getting 2 business class awards seats LHR/BKK/LHR for this Nov/Dec will be hard to find. Thai business class seats are around £2,500 each. Buying the non stop Thai ticket, in this case, is the most realistic option for elderly and inexperienced travellers and it is what I would do if it were for my parents.

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

My parents are not as young as they were (although no mobility issues) and fly eastwards often. They also live not far from Bristol. It’s right on the edge of the chauffeur drive range to Birmingham with Emirates, so you’ll have to check whether it’s available for you (or do some mild negotiation), but that’s certainly an option that makes the arrival and departure from UK stress free and easy and has a First Class option too.

Lady London 2,054 posts

****another post just lost here by WordPress. A 2 level reply that got trumped by a straight post by Savage Squirrel at the same time. Grrr…****

A repeat of the essence : try eurostar direct to CDG for the outgoing leg – some trains have a stop then QR direct from CDG on their best aircraft. CX lounge at CDG. Decent Eurostar tix cost less than UK APD quite often.

After that, SQ. Changi is OK it’s geared for transit travellers.

How about Emirates. Their tix can be excellent value for AA miles IIRC if you can morph something to them, cant remembet if Alaskan also has a tie-up as they cut some tie-ups for mileage but would be a good one.

SamG 1,644 posts

Is there any news on BA flying to KL? Hope they restart the service soon.

I heard from a pretty good source that it wasn’t a high yield route for them, though I used it a couple of times and it was always packed. However I was using it because it was much cheaper than ex-SIN, which kinda backs up my source! So I wouldn’t expect a return in view of BAs slimmed down longhaul fleet – these long Asia flights tie up an aircraft vs US flights especially with all the routing difficulties these days.

rakesh 20 posts

Found availability on United for A flight, but when I go onto Singapore kris to book doesn show up.. Any tips / recommendations

Had to.open a new kris account as my previous one looks like it and points expired

Thanka

SamG 1,644 posts

Found availability on United for A flight, but when I go onto Singapore kris to book doesn show up.. Any tips / recommendations

Had to.open a new kris account as my previous one looks like it and points expired

Thanka

What is the flight ? Krisflyer is still a bit iffy about showing some airlines, you may need to call

rakesh 20 posts

Okay.. The flight showing available is a direct Lhr to BKK on thai Airlines.. Saying on United 2 seats in business available

Tracey 211 posts

@rakesh, try https://propellertravel.com/ we’ve used them before when we had BA vouchers to use up and they offered a good service.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.